Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

Old May 1st 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

I don't like people being barefoot in supermarkets or without tops on, or that kind of thing. I can't even say it's because of the danger factor.... I just find it a bit common looking....Sorry.
Old May 1st 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glittababe
(incidentally he was Kosovan) having a right old go at him. I stormed over, picked Ollie up and asked what the problem was. He told me (in as much English as he could)

Incidentally?? (i.e. 'not of prime importance', eh?)

Seemmingly, this is what really got to you - not the whole bare feet thing.
Old May 1st 2005, 9:57 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm just curious to know how she figured out he was Kosovan?
It was obvious he was Kosovan .. it said Store Manager on his badge!
Old May 1st 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chocaholic
I don't like people being barefoot in supermarkets or without tops on, or that kind of thing. I can't even say it's because of the danger factor.... I just find it a bit common looking....Sorry.
Never apologise for your beliefs even if others disagree.

This isn't meant as a stab, just wanted to give you something to think about.

May be you are harping back to the good old days in England when only the affluent could afford shoes and clothes... in many parts of the world it's still the case.

To put things in perspective if you have more than the set of clothes you have on your back you are in the richest 30% of the world's population, does that mean that the other 70% are common or just poor?? Incidentally if you have a bank account you're in the richest 15%. I'm really interested to know how you define common, is it on the basis of income, intellect, housing sector, accent etc... A person should be measured by how they treat others and that isn't something that you can usually assess on passing them in a supermarket.

I am hoping that in Oz such sweeping generalisations are less prevalent.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:05 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Seabird
I am hoping that in Oz such sweeping generalisations are less prevalent.
Nope!
Old May 1st 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PIXAU
Nope!
Blow and blast! Have to swim to NZ then...
Old May 1st 2005, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glittababe
I'm sooo cross! Today in Suffolk its beautiful, sun shining and 23 degrees. Kids are all out in boardies, t shirts and bare feet. Needed a few bits of shopping, so we all jumped in the car, didn't think much of the littlen not having shoes on. Got to Asda and literally as soon as we walked into the store people were staring at Ollie's bare feet. I told the kids to ignore them and we carried on our shopping. Was happily choosing some shampoo when this blokes voice shouted "YOU - put some shoes on!" Turned around to find Oliver crouched on the floor in tears and one of the customer service people (incidentally he was Kosovan) having a right old go at him. I stormed over, picked Ollie up and asked what the problem was. He told me (in as much English as he could) that Asda's policy was ALL customers had to have shoes on (its a Health & Safety thing). I explained that the kids were kinda used to the oz way and Ollie didn't want his shoes on! I fully understand their concerns, however shouting at a small child is unforgiveable, and if that is Asda's rule then why don't they display it on the doors as you walk in?

Ok, feel calmer now I've vented my anger!
Good, I for one do not want to see dirty stinking feet whilst buying my weekly groceries. How much effort does it take to wear shoes. Maybe you would walk around Asda in your underwear?

Also why do you have to mention the shop workers race? Is this an appeal to those with fascist tendancies (of which there are a lot on this site).

You have to have bounderies of public decency in a civilised society.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:43 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Good, I for one do not want to see dirty stinking feet whilst buying my weekly groceries.
You'll love it in Oz then!
Old May 1st 2005, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll love it in Oz then!
I have been to OZ and returned to the UK never to venture to the remote, boring, uncivilized deadlands of down under.

Kids and adults barefoot in shops is just one of many many reasons to never consider OZ as a permanant home.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:53 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

I have been to OZ and returned to the UK never to venture to the remote, boring, uncivilized deadlands of down under. Kids and adults barefoot in shops is just one of many many reasons to never consider OZ as a permanant home.
Probably not the number 1 choice of message boards for you then!?!
Old May 1st 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have been to OZ and returned to the UK never to venture to the remote, boring, uncivilized deadlands of down under.

Kids and adults barefoot in shops is just one of many many reasons to never consider OZ as a permanant home.

.... send some Kosovans over there - they'll soon teach them how to behave in public....
Old May 1st 2005, 10:56 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

Originally Posted by Olive101
.... send some Kosovans over there
Why over here? Are they not welcome in the UK?
Old May 1st 2005, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why over here? Are they not welcome in the UK?

Apparently not - not in Asda at any rate...
Old May 1st 2005, 10:58 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Sorry, but must apoligise to you for being common then.

If it is such a big deal to the store, they should, as Nursenancy suggested advertise it on the door. In pubs and clubs they always display the standards of dress on noitceboards and the times they take effect from, and patron normally abide by them.

Most kids get their shoes off and run around barefoot faster than you can put their shoes on them, I know, as I was one of them once. As for tops, I take it you mean shirts for men.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 1st 2005 at 11:06 pm.
Old May 1st 2005, 10:59 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

Originally Posted by Olive101
Apparently not - not in Asda at any rate...
I went to Kosovo once - it was for a Asda Management Customer Relations course! ... I failed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.