Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

Old May 1st 2005, 1:06 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asda's 'rules' regarding barefoot kids!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Someone who studies racial differences... To be entered in the next edition of the Oxford/Cambridge/Webster dictionary.

JTL

Enough..................................
Old May 1st 2005, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by peartree35
Thats outrageous! It wasn't in Ipswich was it - my (current) home town?
Hi Peartree

I'm also in Ipswich. Don't know if you know/ are free but there's a meet at Maningtree tomorrow. Check out the thread Essex meet, the organisers have left their number on there if you want to ring and join in. Seem quite a few going.
Old May 1st 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Best not to read this over dinner....

I've had three children, two now very grown up who always ran and played barefoot as babies and youngsters in the UK, though I did put shoes on them when we went shopping in case of anything from broken glass not properly cleared or wet floors. We were told if was better for the development of their feet. My youngest never played out in bare feet, but insists at 13 to still not wearing anything on her feet around the house.

That was fine until she decided to do some sewing three weeks ago. She was being unusually helpful and vacuuming when it happened... she trod on the eye-end of a needle, it broke and snapped leaving half of it in her foot. I thought that the hospital would find it easy to remove having got the x-ray. They warned it could be nasty becaus it is literally like finding a needle in a haystack, but they tried to numb the foot with cream, then kept sppraying the area they were operating on with a cold spray. They operated for 20 minutes whilst she screamed the hospital down (the spray wasn't working). When going into shock they decided to give her a local injection. The operation took the House surgeon, a nurse and the Consultant a further 10 minutes to complete. Had that not worked it would have been under a General anaesthetic and goodness knows how much damage to the foot to remove. She was immobile for a week with the wound and the swelling from the bruising where they had to bend her toes right back.

I guess I'd never realised just how dangerous it can be getting something half an inch long in your foot. The problem, so I now know, is that feet have a lot of flesh for something to get lost in. I'd never want to see another child go through this ordeal. At least at home you can TRY to make sure the floor is clear, but in a shop.....

I guess it's a gamble, it's the only time I've ever had to take one of them to the hospital for this, so I guess the chances are quite small. Just that the consequences can be far worse than you imagine. I guess Asda's realise the amount of physical damage that can result and drum it into their staff. Apparently a person can be permanently disabled as a result and I guess they don't want to be sued for what could be a large amount of money.

That still gives nobody the right to shout at your child. They should have had a quiet word with the parent, go ahead and complain vehemently.
Old May 1st 2005, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

That still gives nobody the right to shout at your child. They should have had a quiet word with the parent, go ahead and complain vehemently.[/QUOTE]

If he was of a different nationality he would have a different culture and upbringing therefore may not be familiar with what a "native" feels is correct or incorrect. With the PC of Uk do you think they will tell a "foreigner" off for his manners?
Old May 1st 2005, 4:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seabird, like you I would say no-one has the right to shout at Glittababe's - or anyone elses - child like that. But I also agree with your advice, though admit to being too cowardly to post a similar thing yesterday.
Walking round supermarkets in Brisbane I see a lot of kids in bare feet, and its made me notice things like the amount of dirt on the floor, bits of glass, drink can pulls etc etc. Outside, in the malls, the risk gets even greater when you start thinking of discarded needles.......
Even The Bloke - Qld born and bred - drives me mad, as he will walk up the drive with no shoes on, walk through the ant spray he has put all over the veranda, and then get straight into bed - and he can't see why I yell about the state of his feet!
Old May 1st 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mercedes
That still gives nobody the right to shout at your child. They should have had a quiet word with the parent, go ahead and complain vehemently.
If he was of a different nationality he would have a different culture and upbringing therefore may not be familiar with what a "native" feels is correct or incorrect. With the PC of Uk do you think they will tell a "foreigner" off for his manners?[/QUOTE]

No, because then they'll probably get sued for that!! I LOVE the NZ immigration website where they state "In NZ if you have an accident, then it's an accident. You can't sue anyone". I'm sure that leaves people like Glittababe with the right to make her own mind up!!
Old May 1st 2005, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
... I also agree with your advice, though admit to being too cowardly to post a similar thing yesterday.
Have you had a similar ordeal with injured feet?? :scared:
Old May 1st 2005, 4:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Have you had a similar ordeal with injured feet?? :scared:
Not as bad as the one you describe - it was more a case of being too scraed to post as everyone seems to think barefeet are OK. I do have very sensitive skin and suffer really badly if I walk round in bare feet here (Brisbane) because of the insect spray on the floor in some many places - I soon learnt when I moved in with The Bloke NEVER to walk round in bare feet or I would be in constant pain from even the slightest bit of roach spray.
I also had a friend who's child trod on broken glass ( in the UK ) while running up the pavement in bare feet - lots of pain, stitches, tetanus injections. Its not worth it, feet are too precious.
(and my feet are currently nestled in furry slippers cos even though we now have carpet in the new place I have picked up screws, nails and needles which The Bloke has jjust dropped and forgotten! he may have tough Qld feet - I don't!!)
Old May 1st 2005, 5:07 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Ok, he shouldn't have shouted at the child, but I firmly agree with him telling you off. Walking around barefoot is dangerous, especially for children who have very soft and sensitive soles.

My sister did it in a shop when she about 9 or 10. She stepped on a piece of metal, and had to be rushed to the hospital for a tetanus injection, stitches, the works. Walking barefoot is nice, but there's a time and a place for everything.

And I resent you implying that the fact he was Kosovan is somehow negative

-Becs
Old May 1st 2005, 5:33 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becs
Ok, he shouldn't have shouted at the child, but I firmly agree with him telling you off. Walking around barefoot is dangerous, especially for children who have very soft and sensitive soles.

My sister did it in a shop when she about 9 or 10. She stepped on a piece of metal, and had to be rushed to the hospital for a tetanus injection, stitches, the works. Walking barefoot is nice, but there's a time and a place for everything.

And I resent you implying that the fact he was Kosovan is somehow negative

-Becs
Was we born with shoes on? No if someone chooses to go bare foot it's up to them. She didn't imply the fact he was Kosovan was negative that's just the way you interpreted it, what a load of twaddle
Old May 1st 2005, 6:30 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Was we born with shoes on? No if someone chooses to go bare foot it's up to them. She didn't imply the fact he was Kosovan was negative that's just the way you interpreted it, what a load of twaddle
We "in the west " do live in a free country so your right it is up 2 them.
If an injury happens then its also their choice to risk it.
What is a Kosovan anyway is that the same make that the A Team used Cause if you have a problem and you can find them, maybe .......
Old May 1st 2005, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
We "in the west " do live in a free country so your right it is up 2 them.
If an injury happens then its also their choice to risk it.
What is a Kosovan anyway is that the same make that the A Team used Cause if you have a problem and you can find them, maybe .......

Been drinking today
Old May 1st 2005, 6:32 pm

Been drinking today
no not yet maybe i should
Old May 1st 2005, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Perthforme
no not yet maybe i should

Why not
Old May 1st 2005, 6:35 pm

Why not
still hung over from last night and being good as got meds in 6 weeks :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.