Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987

Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987

Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:43 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987

I'd like to share this with everybody, maybe you'll like reading it.
It is a newspaper article from the local paper, just before my parents and us kids left for Australia in June 1987. It's translated from Dutch, and translating is b****y annoying, so it's not all good English unfortunetly. If anyone sees somethings that are wrong, please tell me! I've attached a photo that went with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Krommenier builder shuts down well running business and migrates
Ton van *****: ‘Australia, we’re going for the space, climate and adventure’
By Ed Blaauw

KROMMENIE – A leap in the dark, a risk, but also still a well thought through decision, the immigration of builder Ton van ***** to the far away, to him quite unknown Australia. “We are going for the environment, the space, the climate and the adventure, divided evenly.�

Saturday 4 July the 35-year-old carpenter-businessman departs, with his wife Joke (32) and the children Simone (5) and Maarten (3), to his new home country, which can use tradespeople like him very well. Worries about finding work are non-existent. His only fear is that, once in a strange continent, where he knows no one, he will be flooded with homesickness. “Doubts will always be there. It will always be a gamble, in spite of all the good preparations.� Lots of things are already packed, ready to leave. The trip to the destination, Perth, will certainly take a few days. “We will be staying at the Maldives for three days and also a day in Singapore.� If the trip goes to plan, the ‘Zaaner’ family will be arriving in Western Australia in the middle of the night. “And yes, it is the middle of winter then there. And I really hate the winter, always have. But there it will still be about 18 degrees. We’re not sure where we are going to live yet. The first six weeks we will be in a hotel. (hmmpph, it was a migration centre, a bit different, oh well!!) I will then look for work as a carpenter. Working for wages (employed), yes. I first have to learn how it works over there. The technical side of the work and the mentality of the people, that’s what I have to get to know. And when I find work, we will look for a rental in the area.�

Working for wages (employed)
Ton van ***** employed, while in our country he’s always been his own boss. First he had a business with his father, the last 4 years he leaded/directed his own building company. “Usually I had two employees, in busy times we often worked with four ‘casual’ workers. The business had a future. Economically we could have been better off staying here, over there about seven or eight of the working population is also unemployed. If I had been an employee I probably wouldn’t have taken this step. But I’m a businessman, I have a sort of spirit of enterprise, take risks more easily.� If after a while it turns out that he enjoys working and living between the Aussies, then maybe he’ll start his own business again. “You never know, if I notice after a year: I can do this too, who knows if I’ll start my own business. Yes, blood is thicker than water. It’s important that we get to know the mentality. We only know Perth from hear say and books. Hardly a word is spoken about the mentality, but a lot about the climate, de area and the daytrips you can make.�
Migrating, starting a new life in a faraway strange country, in his childhood Van ****** already wanted to do that. “I’ve already been thinking about it my whole life. Maybe I have it from my father. He was going to go to Peru after the war, but that didn’t happen at the last moment. Five years ago we had also already got permission to migrate. But then we couldn’t sell the house and it was economically a lot worse here, and there. We didn’t dare to do it then.

Restless
The idea of leaving house and everything behind and building a new life never let go of him. Business wise he wasn’t doing bad at all, he just missed internal rest. And he kept restlessly looking for, yes for what? “I just wanted something different for some time now. Australia always appealed to me, for the reasons already mentioned. Starting over, a new environment, in another country with a lovely climate. In the beginning Joke (my mum) did not want to go. Now she does.� Joke adds: “We had our business, it took up a lot of the time. Ton was always away for the business. You were lived by your customers. We asked ourselves, how further?
Fully aware/conscious we are leaving. Of course, I know that the homesickness will come, but I’m not afraid of it.� To the other side of the world. First they were vague ideas, in September they became clearly defined plans and this week the permission came. They are welcome in Australia, which applies a strict selection procedure. “Thank god dark (black) people can get in now too, luckily they aren’t as discriminating as ten years ago, and I’m very glad for it�, says Van *******. “There are the necessary requirements to your professional skills. In all modesty, I don’t think they are waiting for journalists over there. But they are welcoming carpenters, and I heard, confectioners (pastry makers).�

English language
Van ****** and his wife have mastered the English language decently, with thanks to private lessons. “We can make ourselves understandable well. Specific phrases and technical language I’ll learn there. I’m not afraid of that. It will take getting used to being ‘second-rate’, and that word between brackets, citizens. But, it is a land of immigrants and it is also a western country. I know that they are eager to welcome Dutch people.� The preparation for the near departure is in full swing. Monday his prosperous building company will be discontinued/stopped. “The book-keeping is being rounded of. Running matters will go to colleagues. Selling the business was a difficult question, because it was a business that is very bound to my name. Maybe if I had sold it I would have had more money. But we are still getting enough money for the house etc. It costs money, an immigration. You won’t have enough with 10000 guilders. We obviously have a bit more to take.� The dog, Polle, who lies in front of him, opens one eye. The animal has already met his new boss. “It is terrible to have to leave the dog behind. But we haven’t let it stop us. I will miss him, just like I shall miss family, friends and acquaintances. On the other hand, we will be in The Netherlands often enough. One day flying and you’re back. And what is one day travelling?�
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for the record: this is what happened after we arrived:
Stayed at the Migrant Centre in Graylands for 6 weeks.
Dad got a job in carpentry factory or something.
They bought a car and a motorbike for my dad.
Mum went to English lessons.
We went to kindy or something like that.

We bought a house in Maida Vale and lived there for about 6 months.

In january 1988 we took of for a trip around Oz for 4 months with a campervan. I did distance education for half of year one. During this time we sold our house in Maida Vale and bought an old cottage in Kalamunda. (we were good friends with a dutch real estate agent)

In June 88 we moved into house in Kalamunda (the Hills).
Lived there about 2.5 years. Dad started his own building company (just him) and he fixed up the old cottage. We also bought a block of land in Toodyay.

In December 1990 we moved to Bidyadanga Aboriginal Community/La Grange Mission (2 hours south of Broome) for dad's job, as building instructor for the small community there (400 aboriginals, about 20 'white' people). My brother and I went to school in the mornings and did Distance ed. in the afternoons. Mum did Meals on Wheels.

In November 1991 we moved to Nullagine(100 aboriginal/100 'white'), in the Pilbara (north of Newman). Dad was the coordinator for the aboriginals there, working for ATSIC. Mum helped with the Social Security side of things I think. We just went to school and had fun.
Left there in Oktober 1992, things in general weren't going great.

Moved to Bridgetown in the south west (october 92). Our friend the real estate man lived there now, and while we were visiting spotted a wholesale plant nursery for sale, with house and paddocks etc (I think nearly 2 hectares)
Anyway, that didn't go to well business wise, so my dad started building again, while mum tried to keep the nursery running.
In november 1993 mum and I went back to Holland for a holiday for the first time. After that she started to get a bit homesick. Also because the business wasn't going well, and she couldn't work in her own profession, nursing.
Dad and my brother went back for a holliday in 94.
Then in 1995 they started trying to sell the house, which took a year, and in 1996 we came back to Holland.
They decided to do it then, because I was 14, and if they had waited much longer, I probably wouldn't have wanted to go back.

So we came back, dad is homesick for Oz again now, and mum is pretty happy.
Dad is just restless, he changes jobs often too.

And now I'm going back, with my boyfriend! We'll see how long we last!

Here's the foto that went with the article:
The caption is: Ton van *****: "I am a businessman, I have a sort of spirit of enterprise, take risks more easily.� Diagonally behind him his daughter Simone (left) and Maarten. (lol, it obviously needed pointing out that the daughter was the one on the left. I did have a verrrrry boyish haircut, grrrrr)

EDIT: to make some small adjustments. Btw, my parents are now seriously thinking about going back, if my brother who hasn't got a girlfriends right now comes too, and it seems he will.......
Attached Thumbnails Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987-1987_61_krantenartikel_06.jpg  

Last edited by bondipom; May 23rd 2005 at 9:59 am. Reason: Request by Simone to remove traces of surname.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

This is my mum(left) and us kids (2 on the left) in front of the migrant centre, with our friends Henk and Hennie and the kids Tamara and Maarten. They were also Dutch, but had been living on the Caribean? island of Aruba for a couple of years.
They are still in Oz now, are doing very well, are totally Australian. The son is a pearl diver in Broome, and will be going to work or study in Tasmania next year, and Tamara has just finished her nursing course.
They themselves live now live in Chittering/Bulls Brook (north of Perth) but they lived most of the last 17? years living in Hillary's. He is a radiologist and she is a nurse in the hospital.
Attached Thumbnails Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987-1987_104_07.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting post simone - your families previous travels have obviously influenced your own desire to see the world.

Good luck to you!
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for posting Simone,very interesting.

footie chick
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:19 pm
WBB

good post.

nice of you to post the story.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:30 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Great post.Fantastic story - love the bit "I have a sort of spirit of enterprise, take risks more easily"-kind of sums up what Australia means to a lot of people
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:47 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Steandleigh: yes, they definetly did! I don't think I would've otherwise . I'm not that adventurous. But I do think I'm a bit restless like my dad. I can't imagine staying in the job for years and years. And luckily Pascal, my fiance, doesn't want that either!
Good luck to you too!

Well, good post, lol, it's just my history.
And I just lllooooove talking about it! I think some people can get pretty annoyed with me sometimes. Sometimes I'm very quiet, but usually once I start talking, especially about Australia, I can't stop! And that's what's happened to me on this forum, Help!

Well, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. It isn't a true succes story, but it was quite succesful! Even if they did come back, overall they had a great time.

OK, one more pic: (I've been very busy scanning in all our family albums )
I have so many favourites, I can't pick! Aargh, I've been sitting here for 5 minutes and have already chosen 5 and changed my mind again. Anyone mind if I post more, or are you all thinking: what the heck is she doing, we don't care about your pic's!! ???

Ok. this is me in my class at Bidjadanga(I'm the one next to the teacher, lol!). Lived there 11 months.
Isn't it great! After living between nearly only aboriginals for nearly two years, I found all the 'white' boys in Bridgetown ugly! I guess it's just what you get used to, lol!
And can you believe, that in Nullagine, in 1992, there were kids who's parents didn't allow them to play with the aboriginals after school?? And that there was a seperate room in the pub for them!
Attached Thumbnails Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987-1991-classphoto-svh.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Simone good posting very interesting,the fact that you have a lot of good memories of your past makes it a success.By the way one of my best friends growing up was an Aboriginal, George.
Theirs was the only Abo family living near us at that time('65-'71).
I too have good memories of Aus as a child.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simone
Loved your post and the piccies - very inspiring. Hope all goes well for you and boyfriend- are you getting married? (Think I read it on a previous thread but I'm not sure now!)
Larissa
PS Would love some more photos - have you been back to Perth lately?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 10:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Chris - How long were you in Oz as a child, and where?

Larissa - Yep, getting married in less than 2 weeks! Keeping it quite small, but we're telling everyone: next year, when we leave, we're having a huge party!
Pascal and I went for a holiday in Oz in july/august 2000. Went 2 months. First in Perth and the southwest for 2 weeks, rented a car. Then we went with Greyhound Perth - Darwin (Kakadu), (flew to Cairns), Cairns - Brisbane - Sydney.
It was a really quick trip, we saw heaps of places, but just for a short time!

Ok, another pic then

This is our house in Kalamunda (Schmitt road if anybody lives near there )
This is just after we came back from our trip around Oz, 1988.
My dad fixed this old cottage right up: new kitchen, new roof (corrugated iron), a new main bedroom (where the BBQ is), new pool (concrete, own design, really 'different'.), new shed.
Oh, we bought two dogs is Oz too. You can see one, Takkie one this foto. We took them back to Holland with us. He's still alive, he's 15 now, won't last much longer....

We rented this house out when we went up north. When we bought the nursery and house in B'town, we needed all the money we could et, so sold this house, and the block of land in Toodyay.
Attached Thumbnails Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987-1988_410_11.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2003, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Chris - How long were you in Oz as a child, and where?

Larissa - Yep, getting married in less than 2 weeks! Keeping it quite small, but we're telling everyone: next year, when we leave, we're having a huge party!
Pascal and I went for a holiday in Oz in july/august 2000. Went 2 months. First in Perth and the southwest for 2 weeks, rented a car. Then we went with Greyhound Perth - Darwin (Kakadu), (flew to Cairns), Cairns - Brisbane - Sydney.
It was a really quick trip, we saw heaps of places, but just for a short time!

Ok, another pic then

This is our house in Kalamunda (Schmitt road if anybody lives near there )
This is just after we came back from our trip around Oz, 1988.
My dad fixed this old cottage right up: new kitchen, new roof (corrugated iron), a new main bedroom (where the BBQ is), new pool (concrete, own design, really 'different'.), new shed.
Oh, we bought two dogs is Oz too. You can see one, Takkie one this foto. We took them back to Holland with us. He's still alive, he's 15 now, won't last much longer....

We rented this house out when we went up north. When we bought the nursery and house in B'town, we needed all the money we could et, so sold this house, and the block of land in Toodyay.
Good luck Simone!
We met at 17 and were married at 21 - takes me back! Well, 28 now, with two sprogs in tow.
Larissa
Do you know what Mount Hawthorn is like? (2nd cousin lives there - we're currently Perth obsessed!)
Old Oct 25th 2003, 7:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Larissa
Good luck Simone!
We met at 17 and were married at 21 - takes me back! Well, 28 now, with two sprogs in tow.
Larissa
Do you know what Mount Hawthorn is like? (2nd cousin lives there - we're currently Perth obsessed!)
Oh, 'early' too! We met and got together in one day, when I was 16! And now I'm marrying at 21, lol! I hope to have one child when I'm 28! But we'll see how it all pans out! Can't go planning everything
How old are your kids?

I unfortunetly have no idea about suburbs (some names I don't even know, and others I don't know where to find!). I lived in the foothills and hills, but I was a young, and I can ask my parents but that'd be old info anyway, so, sorry And we had friends living in Hillary's (nice, but all a bit newish and the same too me, and the beach isn't important to me), Guildford (but they lived on Kalamunda rd, so that wasn;t nice. Guidford did have a lot of cute antique shops I think). And we went to Freo often. (I love Freo, my friends lived there when we visited in 2000. We would go there, but it's a bit expensive, and we think we need to be a bit closer to CBD for work). Oh and friends lived in Bickley, but I think that's even behind the hills? so a bit far for most.

Anyway, I think it's very hard to research suburbs before you go, but of course you can try as much as possible (I am a bit). The thing is too, I think there's only a few suburbs which 'everybody' would advise you against (or maybe none, I don't know which ones could be!). And I think there's good and badpoints about every suburb.
The only things I'm looking at are: expensive or cheap, near public transport or not, near CBD or not, near Freo/south of the river or not.
So for me it's: Cheap, near Public Transport, near CBD and near Freo/south of the river. Well, that's what it is now, it could change!
So, it all depends on you if a suburb is good!

Good luck! I'm sure it'll all go well, even if you don't chose before you go, just get a rental furnished appartement for the first month, and then start looking.
Well, that's my opinion anyway!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simone,
We lived just outside Adelaide in Elizabeth when I was a child from 1965-1971.I left Aus when I was 10 years old.I have good memories of Aus as a child but have never really had the inclination to return.I married an Aussie girl 18 years ago,she has lived in England for 26 years she moved here with her parents when she was 15 years old.We have 5 children and we now feel the time is right to introduce them to a new and hopefully safer way of life.We are under no illusions and know that we are going to have to work really hard to make this work for our family.

You have chosen to have a baby at 28 it's a good age to have children as you have had some life but you must have more than one,4,5,6 OR 7 :scared:
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by chris hogan
Hi Simone,
We lived just outside Adelaide in Elizabeth when I was a child from 1965-1971.I left Aus when I was 10 years old.I have good memories of Aus as a child but have never really had the inclination to return.I married an Aussie girl 18 years ago,she has lived in England for 26 years she moved here with her parents when she was 15 years old.We have 5 children and we now feel the time is right to introduce them to a new and hopefully safer way of life.We are under no illusions and know that we are going to have to work really hard to make this work for our family.

You have chosen to have a baby at 28 it's a good age to have children as you have had some life but you must have more than one,4,5,6 OR 7 :scared:
Good to hear your story! I hope it all works out for you (and if it doesn't, I always say, at least you tried, and have had a great experience)

Yes, I'll definetly have more than 1. I think 2 or maybe 3, not more! arrggghh!
But, you never know what will happen. Maybe I'll like them so mauch, or maybe after one, I'll not want to do it again, or maybe I won't even be able to have kids (if not then we'll adopt.) Or maybe we'll have one of our own and adopt another. Oh I don't know!

Yes, I want a bit of a live without kids first. Even though I am sometimes thinking I'd like one now, I think it would be a bit of a shame, cos I can just wait a few years too. But not too, long, before I'm 30 at least.
Oh dear, I'm only 21, but now already I'm thinking: shit, lifes to short! lol.
Am I wierd? Retorical question, yes, I am a bit!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 9:26 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Article imm NL -> Perth, Oz 1987

Hi Simone82,
It's a long and interesting series of posts from you.

I hope that life goes well for you and your future husband.

Take plenty of pictures, digital cameras are ace, with lots of memory card space you can snap loads and they are the best things to look back at.
I like to look at mine with the wife and think how lucky I am.

bye
Markeh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.