Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrrggghhh! My Driving license in shipping container!!

Arrrggghhh! My Driving license in shipping container!!

Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future
Default Arrrggghhh! My Driving license in shipping container!!

Hi All,
I am such a complete twit, I am sitting in an internet cafe trying to think of what to do. We are flying out tonight at 8pm from Heathrow, and have realised that my UK drivers license is in the shipping container that came to our place and collected everything on Monday.
We are catching our flights tonight, and it's only now I realised I left my drivers license plus the little kiddies red medical books etc in a plastic folder in a suitcase with paperwork for shipping!
Spoke to DVLA but they can only send replacements to our old address apparantly, but we've now sold this house. (In the parents home at the moment.)
We called the shippers, but they don't have a warehouseman till Monday who can look through all our boxes, if I got a cab there which is what I was willing to do.
Our stuff is actually being shipped on Monday. So it's sitting there in a warehouse with no way of getting to it!
Has anyone been in this predicament and known how to resolve this problem?
I'm guessing I'm the only one with the natural talent to have done this!

I guess this is going to cause a problem with our first 12 weeks sitting at home twiddling our thumbs!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrrggghhh! My Driving license in shipping container!!

Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hi All,
I am such a complete twit, I am sitting in an internet cafe trying to think of what to do. We are flying out tonight at 8pm from Heathrow, and have realised that my UK drivers license is in the shipping container that came to our place and collected everything on Monday.
We are catching our flights tonight, and it's only now I realised I left my drivers license plus the little kiddies red medical books etc in a plastic folder in a suitcase with paperwork for shipping!
Spoke to DVLA but they can only send replacements to our old address apparantly, but we've now sold this house. (In the parents home at the moment.)
We called the shippers, but they don't have a warehouseman till Monday who can look through all our boxes, if I got a cab there which is what I was willing to do.
Our stuff is actually being shipped on Monday. So it's sitting there in a warehouse with no way of getting to it!

I guess this is going to cause a problem with our first 12 weeks sitting at home twiddling our thumbs!
Do you have a redirection thing for the house you moved out of? Can't the people there send the replacement on?
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

silversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant futuresilversurfer has a brilliant future

Hi Pollyana,
I closed down all our accounts with everybody so didn't bother with a redirection service with the Royal Mail.
Unfortunately we cant get in touch with the new buyers, as we don't have any contact details, and they are not near at all, and possibility they won't be around if I get a cab and knock on the door.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Doh!
3 mins left in the cafe.
I was allocated one hour to solve this, before wife came down the street to kick my butt.
I'm going to hide in the Sunrise foodmart across the road so I can peer from inside the window.

Take care all, hope everyone is well and achieving their dreams.

If anyone has any ideas please reply! Will hopefully be back on in Dubai if I'm still alive!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hi my John did the same thing as you,stuck it in the shipping but didnt know till he got here that he did it.What we did was ring dvla and as we have moved here they cancell you uk licence.But what they can do is fax a certificate to your nearest licence centre and that lets you get a Aussie licence no problemscosts £5 a bargain! They sent it straight away so he went in the next morning and got his ok.
Cheers lorri
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

I'd do the same as Pollyanna suggested; ask your friends/family to set up a redirection of your mail for you for a month, they only have to fill in a form and sign it as you, then get DVLA to send you the licence - it gets redirected and then your parent's can send it on.....that way you should have it in a couple of weeks......... hope your bums ok and not too bruised with that long flight coming up!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, hope that the wife has not been too harsh on you (ouch!). Hope that you have had a pleasant flight so far. Did you pack both copies of you licence? We have a paper copy and a laminated copy. Good luck.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Arrrggghhh! My Driving license in shipping container!!

My way is better,as iI posted earlier, you ring up dvla and ask them to fax the certificate to the transport dep you are going to, pay £5 and then go there to trans dep, ask if fax has turned up,pay money,show id,passport fill in form,get photo taken and have lincence in hand less than 24 hours later.
cheers lorri
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by supersonic4
My way is better,as iI posted earlier, you ring up dvla and ask them to fax the certificate to the transport dep you are going to, pay £5 and then go there to trans dep, ask if fax has turned up,pay money,show id,passport fill in form,get photo taken and have lincence in hand less than 24 hours later.
cheers lorri
I like supersonic's idea.

Exact situation re: faxed copies may depend on where you end up - we forgot ours about 4 years ago while on holiday here. In Victoria they accepted a faxed copy which was validated by the local police while in Cairns in the same period they would only accept the original document.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,
Just wanted to say thankyou for responses, very helpful ones as well! Have arrived in Sydney, but there were a few internet problems at In-laws home so only just logged on recently.
Faxing DVLA sounds like a great idea! In the meantime before logging on just now & getting this idea, I ordered an International Driving permit which shouldn't take long to get here.
Many many thanks for great and helpful suggestions.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there, hope that the wife has not been too harsh on you (ouch!). Hope that you have had a pleasant flight so far. Did you pack both copies of you licence? We have a paper copy and a laminated copy. Good luck.
Hello there,
She wasn't best pleased especially since we had to go to the Doctors as well today to have antibiotics for the 2 year old boy, and we were asked for the little red medical books.!
I packed both the photocard and the paper license, birth certificates and all and sundry into a suitcase to keep it safe.
When the packers came, they were so efficient I was gulping my coffee down trying to keep up while they pointed at everything and asking us if this was for shipping. I nodded at the suitcase not thinking. The day before I had made a mental note to take the important papers out. Moral of the story is when you think of something important to do, do it right away!!

Best of luck to all of you!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:19 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we cant get in touch with the new buyers, as we don't have any contact details, ...
Don't you know their address ?

Sorry - could not help myself

Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know its a bit late but I just had to say....whit a tit
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

You cheeky monkeys!!
It's probably the only time I've ever NOT wanted to feel a right tit.
Ahem, cough...

DVLA have now faxed a declaration that I'm a full time license holder in the UK so going to the RTA later this morning to see if it all goes well.

Thanks for great advice there!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Glad you're all sorted -at least it was your passport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.