Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving check list

Arriving check list

Old Aug 25th 2001, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

mbedwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks,

For those about to emigrate has anyone compiled a list of "things to do" like below or seen it on any website?

get a driver's licence - contact X needs English Licence and must take test
get a bank account - contact Y needs previous account and letter
rent a house - contact Z needs landlords reference
etc...

Just starting to realise the enormity of emigrating and want to land knowing what the immediate tasks are...

For those who have just emigrated - how long did it take for you to have yourselves established?

Cheers
Mike

Old Aug 25th 2001, 11:00 am
Michael Lim

hi there, I'd think it is best to categorise it into major areas and then branch out
eg: Before departing: Money issue (financial reserve, job, money transfer) Shelter
issues (look for a place to stay) Moving issues (ticket, shipping) oh and most
important, Contacts (make some online friends via chat/newsgroups/personal ads etc +
important contacts from your own country eg referees, maybe driving history etc.)

Best way to get the details (pre and post arrival) is to do an imaginery role play.
Imagine stepping out of the plane. What are u going to do first, then next , then
next etc. Write it down.

If u have done the above, your after arrival issues will be simpler. Hehehe I
established myself straight away - living with my aunty. But the above pts still
valid as I used them when I moved from Singapore to the US before coming back to Aus.
Only problem i had was taking too long to get a car which is too screwed up. Having a
car earlier would have helped greatly. And now after graduation, getting a decent job

Good Luck, Michael

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 25th 2001, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think generating the list will be too difficult. The problem will be in finding out what is needed for each item eg. To get a bank account what do you need..? A letter from my existing bank, a job, an address, letters from referees etc????? That way I can usefully put the waiting time to good use and make sure I get all the ancilliary documents I need.

When I moved to Dubai there was a book locally that went through all you needed to know when you first arrived...it was excellent. But then there are 2M+ expats here and so a large market for such a book.

If anyone has done this or knows where it can be found I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Mike
Old Aug 25th 2001, 2:57 pm
Susi & Kev

Hi Mike,

I remember that my checklist before leaving my original country was
enormous!!! (giving up flat, selling of furniture etc., finding out the
cheapest flight, packing).

When I arrived in Melbourne, I was picked up by my fiance (now husband), we went
straight to his former unit to leave some of my luggage there, then went further
south to live with his sister, going back to his unit to pick up the rest, going to
the airport one week later to get the rest of my luggage (some was sent separately as
it was too much) and finally moving into a rented house. So it wasn't too bad.

Settling in Australia was not hard at all. Most of the people here are so nice and
helpful, the weather is friendly (well, compared to some European Countries) and I
found it much easier to get a job than in Europe!

Just relax and take it easy. Things always work out when you really want !

Good luck Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 27th 2001, 2:20 am
Gayle

Mike, as a new arrival to Australia, you will only need to present your passport to
open a bank account within the first 6 months. The drivers license depends on which
state you are moving to. In Victoria, you can drive for 3 months on your old license,
but then need to take a test for a Vic. license. You'll need to visit your local RTA
office to arrange this. Best wishes with your move, Gayle Knowles

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 28th 2001, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Gayle....Nice to know some things will be easy...

Cheers
Mike
Old Sep 1st 2001, 7:46 pm
Smithsrhere

hi there, regarding opening a bank account, you can actually open a bank account
before you get to OZ. I contacted the Commonwealth Bank of Australia by email asking
how to do this and they sent me loads of info regrding opening an account cost of
living etc, they also have meetings of propective migrants where you can go and see
them, its in London though. Anyhow I can't lay my hands on the booklet for the
address at the moment, if i find it i will post again, however if you put their name
into a search engine I'm sure you'll find it. This bank is very popular too, just
having visited the NSW coast up to Brisbane they were in most places we visited.
Regards Andrea

Old Sep 1st 2001, 10:27 pm
Alan Collett

Hi Andrea.

If you (or anyone else) needs details of the CBA in London please contact me, and I
can provide a name and telephone number of someone to talk to at their Migrant
Banking section.

Alan C alan-at-gomatilda.com www.gomatilda.com

Smithsrhere hi there, regarding opening a bank account, you can actually open a bank
account before you get to OZ. I contacted the Commonwealth Bank of Australia by email
asking how to do this and they sent me loads of info regrding opening an account cost
of living etc, they also have meetings of propective migrants where you can go and
see them, its in London though. Anyhow I can't lay my hands on the booklet for the
address at the moment, if i find it i will post again, however if you put their name
into a search engine I'm sure you'll find it. This bank is very popular too, just
having visited the NSW coast up to Brisbane they were in most places we visited.
Regards Andrea