Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

nicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to allnicrock is a name known to all
Default Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Me and my partner arrived in Brisbane and we had already paid for accommodation in Forest lake, as this was close to where he was supposed to be working.

Arrives at the house and hated the area, very quiet and far away from everything. Really jetlagged and stupidly signed 6 month rental agreement. Hated the cottage as it was advertised as fully furnished and there was no furniture in 2 rooms and only a single bed! :curse:

Luckily I have a family friend who lives in Marrumba Downs and we have come to stay with them until the letter can find a new tenant - hopefully very soon so we don't lose all our money!

I'm so stressed and down and just don't know where we are going to live, My partner has now been offered a job near Brsbane airport. Have no idea how were supposed to choose a suburb or even have any success finding a rental when we are still tied to the one in Forest lake???

So home sick and don't know what to do
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:29 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived & want to go home - things are so hard!

Welcome to Australia!

You're depressed because you landed in Brisbane. This is a common side effect of living in Queensland and we hear about it frequently.

There are several solutions, but the two most commonly used are
  1. Move to Melbourne
  2. Wait 3 months until the new arrival depression fades and enjoy your new life in the land of plenty
Good luck

Al
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:46 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thought I would give you a more useful reply...

What were your goals before you arrived, you don't seem to have thought this through...

Sit down and get over the jet-lag and evaluate your options..

Normally you can break a lease but have to pay until someone else moves in but rental market very buoyant at the moment, check with the agent...look at the conditions you signed up for...

Then think about your plans, have a good drink and take things slowly and don't sign for anything else just yet until you are sure...

Failing that, if it's really bad, go down to Melbourne where you will get mugged/stabbed by all the criminal gangs down there and be put out of your misery..(watch Romper Stomper it's what it's like)...or get depressed over the freezing all year random weather down there...

R...

Ray
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayZor
Failing that, if it's really bad, go down to Melbourne where you will get mugged/stabbed by all the criminal gangs down there and be put out of your misery..(watch Romper Stomper it's what it's like)...or get depressed over the freezing all year random weather down there...
What a crock....I feel far safer on nights out in Melbourne than I do in the Valley.

As for the weather, yes you can live in Qld for that....rains all the bloody time and yet somehow we remain on Level 6 water restrictions!

For the OP....bigAPEs advice is actually pretty spot on. Go with point 2 first and then if you are sure Qld is not for you, then try somewhere completely different, but don't give up straight away.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Ray
You really are ridiculous - almost laughable if I didn't think you actually believed it

Not even worth arguing with
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:06 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Stick in there!!!

I SO know where you are coming from. Hubby and I arrived about 2 weeks ago and have had the most stressful couple of weeks. I have driven around the entire city about 20 times it feels like, didnt know what to do first (get a job or a house or a car???!!!)

I am lucky enough to have move countries before and know that this is perfectly normal and the that stress will ease once a few things are sorted and that the bickering between hubby and I will calm down soon too!

We moved into out townhouse yesterday - Morningside/Seven Hills - seems like a nice area and its fairly close to most parts. About 15kms to the airport, and 10kms to the City, and close enough to Indroopilly/Toowong - I mentioned these as at the time I wasn't sure where I would be worked, so that was a p*sser of a time for me.

I am now going to be working in Toowong, which is okay - at least I can get the train or drive and it shouldn't take me longer than 45mins ish. We have some of our furniture coming still so I typing on a patio set, but at least the internet is working and I have a fridge and can make a cup of tea.

Seriously though, it will get easier. I would suggest that it takes about 6 months to settle in somewhere, but the first 6 weeks will be the hardest. Having your friends will make it easier.

If you need to deconstruct with someone let me know!

By the way - I have not lived in Brisbane before, but am more than impressed so far (and I have lived in Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney so I am allowed to compare) - I think the resort style pool area at the South Bank is wicked and can't wait to use it. I love the hills (although I am sure not looking forward to walking to the train!) and I love the weather. Wintertime and it's still better than the UK summer at the moment. How could you not love that! Also the shopping centres are good and accessible.

Hubby suggests to get a Sat-Nav to help ease car stress - he loves his new toy and for $300 it's worth it!

Good luck in everything. I hope you feel better soon.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:06 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would give you a more useful reply...
Actually I have heard about this kind of panic depression hundred of times and to be honest the only thing that helps is to stick with it and accept that your world is going to be turned upside down for a period. You have just moved to the other side of the world, it's not like going down to the shops, so some anxiety is to be expected.

I must admit that it hits most expats I have spoken too after the 2-3 month mark once the huge post-migration TODO list is all ticked off and the realisation of what they have done sinks in, but I can also understand how someone could get freaked out by their sudden change in circumstance. Either way, the only way to get through it is to stick your head down and make the most of it. Try to meet up with some other expats in the area and get some reassurance and help.

Also, it's very important to meet and make friends with some of the locals, get involved in the schools or sports and pretty soon you will have a grounding here. It will all work out, just give it time.

Normally you can break a lease but have to pay until someone else moves in but rental market very buoyant at the moment, check with the agent...look at the conditions you signed up for...
If you need to break your tenancy agreement the Tenants Union of Queensland advises that you should give as much notice as possible in writing, and only pay rent up until the day you vacate. Remember to keep evidence in preparation for a QCAT tribunal, such as a copy of your notice letter, when the property was re-advertised and at what price.

The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 states that if you break a tenancy agreement you may be liable for costs including a re-letting fee, advertising costs in addition to rent until new tenants are found, or until the end of the fixed term, whichever is sooner. However you only pay the re-letting fee on a pro-rata basis, which means you only cover the fee for the remaining term of the lease. For example if you leave 9 months into a 12 month tenancy agreement, there is only 25% of the fixed term remaining so you only pay about 25% of the fees.

With regard to the rent, the landlord has a duty to keep their loses to a minimum, so if they do anything to make it harder to find a new tenant (such as increase the rent), or if they don’t make an effort to find a new tenant, you can argue that you should not have to pay. If you think the costs claimed by the landlord are unreasonable, don’t agree to pay. The landlord will then have to apply to the QCAT tribunal for compensation where you will have the chance to put your case forward.

If you have signed a rental lease agreement that makes heavier demands than allowed for under The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 the lease is quite likely to be invalid (despite what the landlord tells you) – seek advice from the Tenants Union.

This information and much more is available as fact sheets from the Tenants' Union of Queensland at www.tuq.org.au or phone their advice line on (07) 3257 1108. They have an office at 28 Robertson Street in Fortitude Valley and one at 208 McLeod Street in Cairns

Yeah, because Melbourne is really like that They are only showing that junk to put you all off coming here.

I have been here for 15 months and have not seen one punch-up let alone a stabbing or knifing. It does happen from time to time, but the tip as always is don't move to one of the shathole suburbs.

Melbourne is a great pleace to live and raise a family. The schools are great, the beaches are great (for Victoria), the sports are second to none and the food and wine would make a Frenchman blush.

Don't believe all you read in Underbelly
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

After all the stress of moving over you have hit a rough patch and things have gone wrong. It's no wonder you are distressed.

The thing is, it's a problem with the unsuitable rental, but it's not the end of the world. You would never forgive yourself if you went back now without sorting things out and giving it a proper chance here.

Take things easy for a while and do a bit of research in the area your partner will be working. Until you can relet the house and decide exactly where you want to be, maybe your partner could lodge near work temporarily.

Think positive. You are so lucky having people to stay with and not having to stay in the depressing rental. You have time to recover from things. Get out and enjoy yourselves and what Brisbane has to offer. You are in a fantastic location. You will soon get over your early mistake, just give yourselves time.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicrock
Me and my partner arrived in Brisbane and we had already paid for accommodation in Forest lake, as this was close to where he was supposed to be working.

Arrives at the house and hated the area, very quiet and far away from everything. Really jetlagged and stupidly signed 6 month rental agreement. Hated the cottage as it was advertised as fully furnished and there was no furniture in 2 rooms and only a single bed! :curse:

Luckily I have a family friend who lives in Marrumba Downs and we have come to stay with them until the letter can find a new tenant - hopefully very soon so we don't lose all our money!

I'm so stressed and down and just don't know where we are going to live, My partner has now been offered a job near Brsbane airport. Have no idea how were supposed to choose a suburb or even have any success finding a rental when we are still tied to the one in Forest lake???

Firstly, recognise that you have the power to end the nightmare whenever you want to do so - just pack up and go home. I know it's not that easy but if it really gets so bad then you can go home - done.

Secondly, give it time. Accept that you will feel rotten for a few weeks or months.

Thirdly, set yourself a target - if you are still feeling crap by December then go home.

Finally, treat it as an adventure - enjoy what Australia has to offer whilst keeping it in the back of your mind that you can return home whenever you wish.
Then set yourself a target.

Oh and lastly - don't outstay your welcome at your friends' house!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:13 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like they just need to be somewhere busier with a bit of life (and some furniture!). Not sure moving to Melbourne is the answer though. As I know only too well one can just as easily rush into things and get stuck in the wrong area here too.

Nicrock-if the cottage was advertised as fully furnished but isn't, the agency are most likely in breach of the estate agents act (they def would be here in Victoria so may well be the same in Queensland). You may want to see if you can get out of the agreement by mentioning this to them.

Good luck-I hope you get things sorted!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB

Nicrock-if the cottage was advertised as fully furnished but isn't, the agency are most likely in breach of the estate agents act (they def would be here in Victoria so may well be the same in Queensland). You may want to see if you can get out of the agreement by mentioning this to them.

Good luck-I hope you get things sorted!
I reckon this might be an option....get a copy of the rental agreement, phone that number that bigAPE provided, and tell them what furniture has been provided....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:18 am
No Clean Feed

Failing that, if it's really bad, go down to Melbourne where you will get mugged/stabbed by all the criminal gangs down there
LOOKOUT!!! A Mugger coming to get you !!!

Sorry, I thought I saw one.... THERE HE IS!! Behind the Beach Hut!!

No, no... Hang on... there, THERE !!! Coming out of the water!!

and there... behind that tree!!!

******* hoodie gangs... there EVERYWHERE !!!

...and if you think I'm joking my wife took the one of Brighton Beach Huts this morning

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jun 16th 2008 at 6:20 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicrock

Some great replies you got

Sounds like you have moved to a very quiet area and need to be nearer to facilites, one poster in this thread has found themselves in a similar situation in melbourne, another lady has found the same in Sydney.

You need to look at what you can afford closer to where you would like to live, there are still cheap areas in brisbane with far more facilities than you have now. If your looking at other cities do the same, it is very easy to get stuck somewhere very out of the way to get the right budget.

Your current lease, if you pay for the advertising and about a weeks rent to cover the agents letting fee you can get out of the lease as soon as a tenant is found.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Then think about your plans, have a good drink and take things slowly and don't sign for anything else just yet until you are sure...

Ray

They could also approach the Rental Tenancy Authority for advice, www.rta.qld.gov.au, as there maybe some grounds to get out of the lease quicker if the dwelling was incorrectly or falsely advertised by the agent/owner.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:59 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a classic case of jetlaggedhomesickexpectationfailureculture shock... Know how you feel, but believe me, if you feel this bad, the only way will be up..... or out...

Take each day as it comes and draw strength from each other...

You can turn round and go home..... but give it a try.... you need to experience spring/summer/dry before you decide...

Hugs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.