Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Melly

Arrived in Melly

Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Arrived in Melly

Last week we (and my wife) arrived in Melbourne from India to start a new life

Some observations

1. City is pretty well organized and most people are friendly especially Australians. Connectivity via trams, buses, trains, etc is great especially between the inner suburbs and the city.

2. Weather is very cold. Coming from a tropical/hot area, im always freezing here. But people easily walk in slacks, shorts, t-shirts, light hoods. It seems its a pleasant weather for them.

3. Govt services are very punctual, they deliver what they commit and in short time frame. Govt servants are very polite.

4. City is a paradise for walkers and bikers. Have special lanes allocated to them ( I was surprised to see this because in India walking and cycling on the roads is the most painful thing)

Cons:
1. Sometimes when you are walking on the road, people from cars shout at you and try to frighten you by showing big eyes, then driveaway. What is this practice? they might be doing it jokingingly, not sure. Has happened to me twice in a week.

2. Banks don't open on the saturday and charge you cheques, currency excahnge, etc. You even need to inform bank one day before when you plan to withdraw cash (say 5k)

3. Delivery costs and moving costs are immense here.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived in Melly

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
2. Weather is very cold
Welcome!

Yes it has been cold the last week, colder than average I'd say...but at least it prepares you for the next few months!

1. Sometimes when you are walking on the road, people from cars shout at you and try to frighten you by showing big eyes, then driveaway. What is this practice? they might be doing it jokingingly, not sure. Has happened to me twice in a week.
Unless they're saying something specific to make you think otherwise, I wouldn't take it personally - just general morons! You're right it does happen here, although I've seen it a lot less in Melbourne than in Queensland! Think yourself lucky though, I was standing at a crossing in the middle of Sydney a couple of months ago when a car sped past, incomprehensible yelling at pedestrians...they threw an egg which hit a girl I was standing beside on the head! Very unpleasant...seen the egg throwing thing quite a bit.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

2. Weather is very cold. Coming from a tropical/hot area, im always freezing here. But people easily walk in slacks, shorts, t-shirts, light hoods. It seems its a pleasant weather for them.
I arrived in Sydney two weeks ago. I have been quite amused to see the Sydney siders all wrapped up in big coats and sometimes even hats and scarves whilst I am walking around in a t-shirt and flip flops.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Welcome!

Yes it has been cold the last week, colder than average I'd say...but at least it prepares you for the next few months!

Unless they're saying something specific to make you think otherwise, I wouldn't take it personally - just general morons! You're right it does happen here, although I've seen it a lot less in Melbourne than in Queensland! Think yourself lucky though, I was standing at a crossing in the middle of Sydney a couple of months ago when a car sped past, incomprehensible yelling at pedestrians...they threw an egg which hit a girl I was standing beside on the head! Very unpleasant...seen the egg throwing thing quite a bit.
Yehp just idiots.... only place it has happened to me is in Adelaide and quite a lot on one particular day.... although I was wearing MV colours LOL
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Last week we (and my wife) arrived in Melbourne from India to start a new life

Some observations

1. City is pretty well organized and most people are friendly especially Australians. Connectivity via trams, buses, trains, etc is great especially between the inner suburbs and the city.

3. Govt services are very punctual, they deliver what they commit and in short time frame. Govt servants are very polite.

4. City is a paradise for walkers and bikers. Have special lanes allocated to them ( I was surprised to see this because in India walking and cycling on the roads is the most painful thing)

Cons:

2. Banks don't open on the saturday and charge you cheques, currency excahnge, etc. You even need to inform bank one day before when you plan to withdraw cash (say 5k)

3. Delivery costs and moving costs are immense here.
Welcome to Melbourne

It is cold here at the moment and unlikely to warm significantly between now and October..... The winter is pretty cold but it doesn't rain much...
It is also pretty windy here too - although for some reason there seems to be more wind in the summer than the winter When the North wind blows from the desert on a hot day it is like being followed around by a hair dryer on a high setting...

Houses, delivery and moving costs are all very high!

I haven't experienced the problem with the roads but to be honest tend not to go into the City unless absolutely necessary - I tend to go out quite a bit at docklands and shop either locally or in Geelong as I am not a fan of masses of people....

Some banks now don't charge for withdrawals, cheques etc so best you shop around...
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I arrived in Sydney two weeks ago. I have been quite amused to see the Sydney siders all wrapped up in big coats and sometimes even hats and scarves whilst I am walking around in a t-shirt and flip flops.
wow.. Bermuda may be you can give me some tips on how to beat the cold (except smoking and drinking whiskey)
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

wow.. Bermuda may be you can give me some tips on how to beat the cold (except smoking and drinking whiskey)
She's on holiday from the UK, it's not like coming over from a hot country
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:55 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Wear a fleece ?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived in May 2000, I found it amazing everyone was so wrapped up. Now I freeze below 15deg...you acclimatise over time

Not many banks open on Sats (never used to in UK). Banks charge you for everything here- so look around closely for charges. I have never had to advise my bank of wanting to withdraw my limit though.

...and August is the absolute coldest month!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Cons:
Big eyes?! Its jokiningly. Just move out the way and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Wear several layers of clothing.....at last count I was wearing 4 layers under a very heavy coat
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
She's on holiday from the UK, it's not like coming over from a hot country
Ain't that the truth. 16-20 degs max today. Been like this all week.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Melbourne.

The Winter is back to it's normal temp now, & with plenty of rain too. Those who have been here longer than 20 yrs will know this.

Cold? - layering cottons is the best answer. Don't just rely on one heavy layer. The Winter here is nothing compared to what we all experienced in UK. Maybe invest in some thermal underwear (the stuff they use for skiing??) if you find it too cold.

Westpac banks open on Saturdays, so not sure who you're banking with. Admittedly most are closed.

Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We were the same as you during our first winter in Melbourne. I survived with one jumper and a denim jacket. It felt soo balmy compared to UK or French winters. Seven years in, I own many woolen jumpers, a heavy coat, several scarves, boots and hats... I guess we acclimatised
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate. Where did you get your servants from? We are still waiting for our allocation. Help with the kids and all that.

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
We were the same as you during our first winter in Melbourne. I survived with one jumper and a denim jacket. It felt soo balmy compared to UK or French winters. Seven years in, I own many woolen jumpers, a heavy coat, several scarves, boots and hats... I guess we acclimatised
Been here 6 years and I still only use one light jacket, or a fleece for day to day use. Maybe a jumper over a t-shirt. Never used a winter coat.

It has to be really cold, or an excursion, or night at the football for me to wear more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.