Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Originally Posted by TillyG
Sorry, but that just made me giggle My area is also full of immigrants - there are a STACK of British expats around here (lower north shore) and I *love* that about it
Me too.

(Are you one of the Brits I keep hearing in Greenwood Plaza? We seem to congregate there! At least you're not the Yorkshireman I had to block out to in a cafe the other day, as he was talking very loudly about somebody vomiting on the turkey whilst I was trying to eat my lunch.)
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
Me too.

(Are you one of the Brits I keep hearing in Greenwood Plaza? We seem to congregate there! At least you're not the Yorkshireman I had to block out to in a cafe the other day, as he was talking very loudly about somebody vomiting on the turkey whilst I was trying to eat my lunch.)
No, I don't go down there often. My DH works in North Sydney and often has lunch over there - I used to go and meet him once per week but with the restrictions on what I can eat while pregnant (no Subway - wahhhhhh!) we've not bothered for a while.

At his work's Xmas do, the MC's were "joking" that there are now more Brits in the office than Aussies... and that it's a constant stream of "well back in the UK..." LOL.

Ick at the vomiting story - that's horrid!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

AussieGaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, but that just made me giggle My area is also full of immigrants - there are a STACK of British expats around here (lower north shore) and I *love* that about it
Without sounding too much like Eddie Booth I would like to say that we British are not classed as immigrants in this land, we just sent our worst people to a better place.

'Bloody Nora' I do sound like Eddie Booth.

All joke on the side most Australians would not class brits as immigrants, but funny enough they do class descendants of ethnic people as immigrants even if they are born in Australia.

and have anyone on here ever walked through Campsie or Wentworthville?

They tend to play a local game there called spot the white man.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

I would'nt advise anyone to stay in Kings Cross.I've never felt unsafe in Sydney except for in the Western Suburbs and Kings Cross.Horrible place.Avoid Rooty Hill,St Marys,Mt Druitt,Parramatta etc.

Places I'd recommend:
Paddington,Balmain,Elizabeth Bay,Rose Bay,Bondi or most places in the Eastern Suburbs for urbanites/bobos/londoners/Southerners and brits in general.
Balmain esp. for young families,Paddington is notorious for young british couples.

For "suburban" regular/middle class brits I'd recommend the northwest,the hills district.

For the rest - the central coast which is already packed with brits,Gosford etc.

For artsy types with every type of income level,or those who prefer the four seasons,english gardens,snow,cultural elements,pretty houses,less barbarian aussies I 'd highly recommend the upper mountain villages Blackheath,Leura and Wentworth Falls.

Originally Posted by Syedney
If you have a family:
Avoid : South and West Sydney.
Aim for : Northern Beaches (Areas like Dee Why, Curl curl etc..)

If you're single:
Avoid : Northern beaches (full of families!)
Aim for : Surry Hills, Kings Cross and Bondi !!

Hope this helps as it helped me

Last edited by katiev; Apr 15th 2009 at 8:20 am.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by katiev
I would'nt advise anyone to stay in Kings Cross.I've never felt unsafe in Sydney except for in the Western Suburbs and Kings Cross.Horrible place.Avoid Rooty Hill,St Marys,Mt Druitt,Parramatta etc.

Places I'd recommend:
Paddington,Balmain,Elizabeth Bay,Rose Bay,Bondi or most places in the Eastern Suburbs for urbanites/bobos/londoners/Southerners and brits in general.
Balmain esp. for young families,Paddington is notorious for young british couples.

For "suburban" regular/middle class brits I'd recommend the northwest,the hills district.

For the rest - the central coast which is already packed with brits,Gosford etc.

For artsy types with every type of income level,or those who prefer the four seasons,english gardens,cultural elements,pretty houses,less barbarian aussies I 'd highly reccomend the upper mountain villages Blackheath,Leura and Wentworth Falls.
Hmmmmm - if have money you have the pick of sumptuous places like Balmain/ Elizabeth Bay/ Rose Bay (all require mega $$$$).... For "the rest" Gosford! And if you have an arty crafty side then there is always the places that smell of incense...
The only bit I agree with is the Leura section - a gem especially on a crisp Autumn day when you are missing the seasons and want to remind yourself.

You say you are in Australia "unfortunately" and I think this shows in your post!
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AussieGaz
I used to live in Sydney too but now live on the central coast, I agree with the avoiding any places above as most of these have social/economic problems, around Parramatta and surrounding suburbs is not as bad but used to be nicer just full of immigrants and they are starting to get that slummy feel about them.

The hills area would be the best bet, Castlehill, Baulkham hills and surrounding area. It's where the city meets the bush most houses have swimming pools and a sizeable garden and is the area where the likes of Delta Goodrem and Bec Hewitt grew up.

Parramatta and the western suburbs have been chavy rough areas prior to immigrants arriving in the area,I remember them being so as a child as I was born in Sydney.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
You say you are in Australia "unfortunately" and I think this shows in your post!

Pretty much - I can't believe so many brits want to come here,I'd sell my soul to live in the UK/.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty much - I can't believe so many brits want to come here,I'd sell my soul to live in the UK/.
So what are you going to do about it? Heaps of Aussies move to the UK or elsewhere overseas. Why don't you just give it a go?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:28 am
Just Joined

So what are you going to do about it? Heaps of Aussies move to the UK or elsewhere overseas. Why don't you just give it a go?
There should be some sort of immigration swap program.

My father can move there tomorrow on an ancestry Visa,but I can't.
Quite unfair because he is a die hard aussie with no interest in the uk whereas I am an anglophile.
I've looked into it for the past few years but it appears impossible.

Last edited by katiev; Apr 15th 2009 at 9:27 am.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

There should be some sort of immigration swap program.
My father can move there tomorrow on an ancestry Visa,but I can't.Quite unfair because he is a die hard aussie with no interest in the uk whereas I am anglophile.
I've looked into it for the past years but it appears impossible.
Surely it's not totally impossible. Surely you can get some kind of temporary/working/holiday/whatever visa to get you over there? I have to admit I know precious little about immigrating into the UK and the paperwork involved but I'm sure googling for UK Immigration will start you on the right path.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Someone suggested families should avoid south of Sydney, not sure what part they're talking about but the Sutherland Shire in the southern suburbs is a very established and safe family oriented area of Sydney.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Areas (suburbs) in Sydney to avoid

Katiev, I've PMd you.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gere
Could someone recommend a safe area of Sydney (or even greater Sydney). I do not mind living 20 Km (or 40 kms) from the city.
Ok, putting together all previous plus adding the northern beaches, for a family moving here, definately avoid Southwest and western Sydney, like Sutherlandshire, like Inner West, like Eastern but not Maroubra, love Northern beaches, like North Shore and like Hills. But, look at where you will be working, what your accom budget is, what your leisure pursuits are, what own transport you will have or will you rely on public transport.
I had already set myself on Collaroy before I moved here, then having got here and had a look around settled for Manly which was one of two places I was going to avoid like the plague, along with Bondi!! The moral here is by all means take advice and check the housing websites, but nothing will beat actually having a look for yourself.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:26 pm
ABCDiamond

.Avoid Rooty Hill,St Marys,Mt Druitt,Parramatta
Yes, some expensive area's with loads of new houses being built...

Rooty Hill $500,000

Mount Druitt $800,000

Parramatta $800,000

Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Surely it's not totally impossible. Surely you can get some kind of temporary/working/holiday/whatever visa to get you over there? I have to admit I know precious little about immigrating into the UK and the paperwork involved but I'm sure googling for UK Immigration will start you on the right path.

Does anyone know if I'm eligible for Irish Citizenship through my grandmother? Ive read through just about everything,and still can't figure it out.

Her father though he went to South Africa never took up South African citizenship and died an Irish citizen [his parents were english],but my grandmother was born in SA.It states that my father can be given an irish passport,could I not do something with his citizenship/passport?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.