Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Architecture Graduates

Architecture Graduates

Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

cokedrinker will become famous soon enough
Default Architecture Graduates

The construction economy here in Ireland has become pretty poor, and I've always wanted to give Australia a try anyway. I've been hearing alot of good things about construction in Australia, and that people involved in the industry are in big demand.

Anyway, I'm a graduate Architect (RIBA Part II qualified) and im heading off on a 'working holiday' visa at the end of August - with the intention of remaining in Australia for the foreseeable future, I should be elligle for the skilled workers visa after 12 months of working in practice. (Hopefully i will get sponsorship or qualify for the skilled workers visa before the other one expires). Melbourne / Sydney seem my likely destinations but i am still undecided :/

Has anybody any thoughts on how i am likely to get on out there?... how likely i am to get a job, and what sort of salary i could expect etc... I have worked in the UK for 1 year after i did my Architectural Technology degree, but i have not worked since achieving my Bachelor of Architecture. A lad i know is heading out and he is expecting to be on at least 70k aus (He has a technology degree and 2 years experience)... Could i get anywhere close to this?

Any insight would be much appreciated,

Cheers!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Architecture Graduates

Originally Posted by cokedrinker
Melbourne / Sydney seem my likely destinations but i am still undecided :/

Has anybody any thoughts on how i am likely to get on out there?... how likely i am to get a job, and what sort of salary i could expect etc... I have worked in the UK for 1 year after i did my Architectural Technology degree, but i have not worked since achieving my Bachelor of Architecture. A lad i know is heading out and he is expecting to be on at least 70k aus (He has a technology degree and 2 years experience)... Could i get anywhere close to this?

Any insight would be much appreciated,

Cheers!
Judging by the amount my architect is charging me you will be a millionaire within about 2 years .

However construction starts here are slowing down dramatically. Architects here work mainly on commercial projects, there's an entire raft of unqualified/less qualified "house designers" that work in the main on residential builds.

Are you planning on being employed or setting up your own practice?

Buzzy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

cokedrinker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Architecture Graduates

Hey Buzzy, yea architects fees can be a bit ridiculous lol... Nah, i won't be setting up myself - Ill probably hit a couple of recruitment agencies, and get some interviews organised with a few practices.

I have a mate moving out with me, who has the same qualifications so we'll be looking to rent an apartment / house together... Whats the accommodation like out there... If we were on say 50kaus each, would we be able to get somewhere decent?

Last edited by cokedrinker; Jul 9th 2008 at 12:15 am.