Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AQIS approved vets?

AQIS approved vets?

Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default AQIS approved vets?

Hiya Guys
Does anyone know how to get hold of the list of approved vets, as I need to get my little Sidney Bop jabbed up
Ta
Larissa
No, I didn't think of the name, he was just Sid b4 my 6 year old called him that
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Argh, me post was slipping into the thread graveyard... does anyone have a list of Aqis vets, or do you just ring around and ask?
Ta
Larissa
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:36 pm
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Argh, me post was slipping into the thread graveyard... does anyone have a list of Aqis vets, or do you just ring around and ask?
Ta
Larissa

Hi Larissa, how come you need an AQIS approved vet, if you are exporting from the uk you will only need a Government approved veterinarian, theres usually one or two found at most vet practices. Try ringing DEFRA, the can give you a list in your area

I have just sent off for an export licence for our two cats and have booked the flights for then both £880 :scared:, I had a price about 2 months ago and it was £580, nice how they can bump the price up when it suits them. Good Luck
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Fogmeister,
are you doing everything yourself? I have thought about this as the pet travel agents seem to be very expensive. How complicated is it? I have already found a Government approved Vet so that is one thing off the list. I'm planning on transporting a dog and a cat (the dog is a Jack Russell). How did you go about booking flights? Did you just call the airline?

Thanks for all your help,

Salli
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:44 pm
The Outback Beast

Originally posted by Salli
Fogmeister,
are you doing everything yourself? I have thought about this as the pet travel agents seem to be very expensive. How complicated is it? I have already found a Government approved Vet so that is one thing off the list. I'm planning on transporting a dog and a cat (the dog is a Jack Russell). How did you go about booking flights? Did you just call the airline?

Thanks for all your help,

Salli
Hi Salli, yup I am doing the lot myself, its a fairly simple process for cats, but a bit more indepth for dogs as they need blood tests etc, not too sure on them, but I can give you the low down on cats, links at the end

1. Contact AQIS and apply for an Import Licence, within 6 months of departure
2. Vaccinate you cat against diseases as stated
3. Contact DEFRA and ask them to send you an application for Export Licence.
4.Obtain services of Government Aproved Vet, usually one at every preactice, we use pet vaccination clinic
5. Book flights 08457 222 777
6. Post off Export Licence application to DEFRA.
7. DEFRA will post the export licence to your designated vet practice
8. Within 4 days of the flight you must take the cat to the government approved vet, where he/she will fill out the DEFRA export Licence and Part A of the AQIS Import Licence
6. Take the cat to the airport 4 hrs before departure(usually heathrow cargo terminal, past terminal 4) and then another Approved Government Vet will fill out Part B of the AQIS Import Licence and will seal the cat into its carrier.

Sounds complicated but if you take it one step at a time then no probs.

links

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...516B834217B7F8

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...200060A1B01896

http://www.iata.org/cargo/operations...imals/pets.htm

http://www.petsparade.com/shop.asp?cat=175 Cheap cat and dog carriers, free delivery

http://www.takeyourpet.com/pages/air.htm tips

DEFRA [email protected] contact these and they will tell you your nearest branch

This is the email I initially had from AQIS, PLENTY OF INFO

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the importation of cats from the United Kingdom (UK).
>
>The UK is a Category 2 country, described as "Approved rabies-free countries and Territories ... Minimum 30 days quarantine".
Accordingly, I attach for your information Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS's) Information Sheets and refer you to
Information Sheet 2 for import conditions applicable to the UK. The application for an import permit is linked to the first page of
the information sheet. You can also access AQIS's website for further information at www.affa.gov.au or www.aqis.gov.au/icon.
>
>I will firstly respond to your specific query then provide some general information you may find useful when preparing your pets
for export.
>
>The "6 month waiting period between the taking of blood samples for the rabies vaccine up to importing" relates to the Pet Travel
Scheme.
>
>The Pet Travel Scheme was developed by the United Kingdom Department of Environment and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Although the Scheme
is often referred to as the "Pet Passport Scheme", this term is misleading as pets generally travel with health certificates rather
than passports.
>
>It is important to note the Pet Travel Scheme only applies to cats and dogs travelling from Australia to the UK. Cats and dogs
arriving from the UK must meet the requirements of the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS). These are attached
above.
>
>AQIS requirements do not include any rabies vaccinations or blood tests, due to the fact that the UK is rabies free. Unlike the
Pet Travel Scheme there is no six month "wait time" after the rabies blood test. This means that in most cases cats and dogs
travelling to Australia from the UK can be ready for travel 3-4 weeks (cats) or 4-6 weeks (dogs). On arrival in Australia cats and
dogs are housed in an AQIS Animal Quarantine Station for a minimum of 30 days. The DEFRA Pet Travel Scheme does not require animals
travelling to the UK to undergo quarantine as long as six months or more has elapsed between the rabies blood test and the date of
exporting to the UK. If less than six months has elapsed then the remainder of the six months will be spent by the animal in
quarantine in the UK.
>
>AQIS import conditions and the UK's Pet Travel Scheme are very different. The import of animals into Australia are subject to
AQIS's conditions: the Pet Travel Scheme can not be applied.
>
>General Information
>
>There are two different veterinarians involved in the export process.
>
>1. "Government approved vet"
>
>This veterinarian will prepare your pets for export to Australia and fill in the details of this preparation on Veterinary
Certificate A provided with your AQIS import permits.
>
>2. "Official Veterinarian"
>
>The "official" veterinarian is a government officer usually employed by the government veterinarian administration in the exporting
country (eg the Department of Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)). Official Veterinarians generally do not work in private
practice. Official Veterinarians are able to sign certificates on behalf of the government's veterinary administration. Official
Vets endorse Veterinary Certificate A and complete Veterinary Certificate B that are provided with your AQIS import permits. The
Official Veterinarian will also help you find a "government approved vet" and a "government approved laboratory".
>
>To assist you locating appropriate veterinarians in the UK, I suggest you contact DEFRA (refer DEFRA to obtain local office) at:
>
>Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
>1A Page Street
>London
>SWIP 4PQ
>
>Tel: (44 207) 904 6139/6000
>Fax: (44 207) 904 6242
>
>You should also confirm with DEFRA the officially recognised diagnostic laboratory for export testing in the UK is:
>
>Central Veterinary Laboratory
>Veterinary Laboratories Agency
>Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
>New Haw
>Addlestone
>Surrey
>DT15 3NB
>United Kingdom
>
>Phone: 019 3234 1111
>Fax: 019 3234 7046
>
>All costs associated with quarantine of cats are linked to the Information Sheet, however, you could expect to pay in the vicinity
of $1,226.00 Australian for the importation of two cats comprised of:
>
>$835.50 Australian for the 1st cat; and
>$390.50 Australian for each and every subsequent cat travelling in the same consignment as another pet from the same owner which
would cover:
>
>$260.00 Application Fee (must be sent with the application. If paying by cheque (cheques should be made payable to the "Collector
of Public Monies-AQIS" and marked $260AUD), your application should be posted to the quarantine station concerned. If, however, you
wish to pay by credit card (Amex, Visa, Matercard or Bankcard are accepted), you may post or fax your application to the quarantine
station concerned).
>
>Note: Owners of multiple pets will only be charged the application fee for the first animal in each consignment.
>
>When your pets arrive in Australia an invoice will be sent to your Australian address (which must be settled prior to your pets
being released from quarantine) covering:
>
>$014.00 Lodgement of quarantine entry form
>$071.00 Performance of service (1st half hour only)
>$035.50 Document clearance (1st quarter hour only)
>$095.00 Conveyance to quarantine station (business hours) (only one conveyance fee is charged "per consignment")
>$360.00 Accommodation ($12 per day x 30 for the 1st cat); and
>$270.00 Accommodation ($9 per day x 30 for each and every subsequent cat)
>
>It should be noted, however, that there may be additional charges imposed by the exporting country.
>
>Also in addition to the above would be any veterinary expenses incurred on behalf of your pets should they require veterinary
services whilst in quarantine plus transportation once the quarantine period is spent.
>
to be continued................
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:45 pm
The Outback Beast

Continued.................

>All medical examinations and tests undertaken in preparation of exporting your pets are totally separate. Accordingly, you would
need to get in touch with the vet(s) performing these functions to ascertain costs involved.
>
>It must be noted that there are currently only three Government-approved quarantine stations in Australia: one in each State of New
South Wales (Eastern Creek), Victoria (Spotswood) and Western Australia (Byford). As quarantine must occur at the first point of
entry into Australia, you will need to ensure that your pets' flight comes directly into either Sydney, Melbourne or Perth airports.
No domestic travel is permitted within Australian until quarantine time has been served.
>
>As far as the quarantine procedure goes I advise that on arrival into Australia your pets will be collected by AQIS personnel,
cleared through Customs and then taken directly to the quarantine station. Visitation on the day the animals arrive in quarantine
is discouraged, however, as they are a little stressed from the trip and being in a new environment. It is considered if pets see
their owner(s) at this stage, they become even more unsettled.
>
>On arrival at the quarantine station, each pet is assigned a "carer" to look after them. This allows the pet to bond with an
individual rather than having many different carers who they don't get to know or understand.
>
>However, by way of lessening the impact on both yourself and your pets whilst they are in Australian quarantine, you are able to
visit them. Actual visitation details need to worked out with the Quarantine Station concerned.
>
>A description of what quarantine accommodation is like is as follows.
>
>Cat kennels are built in an upward fashion. On the floor they have a water bowl and litter tray. From there, they can climb 2
ladders which lead to a shelf. On this shelf they have an igloo which has an electric blanket for their comfort. From there they
can climb another ladder to what we call the basking shelf. They are now on top of the building with a great view. From here, cats
can absorb all the wind, rain and sunshine they like. If AQIS officers find cats are staying up there baking themselves too long,
they can close this hatch off. For cats who cannot climb, AQIS set them up on the floor with their igloos and blankets.
>
>All animals are fed a dry, complete food once per day. If AQIS or you feel that your pet requires additional feeding that too is
no problem for our staff. If your pet is on a medicated diet, please email or fax the quarantine station concerned one week prior
to your pet's arrival and, if at all possible, AQIS will be happy to arrange this food as well.
>
>All animals are brought out into a central grooming room for grooming, bathing and weighing.
>
>All pets can see other animals but without contact.
>
>I can assure you that all animals are very much loved whilst in Australian quarantine and as much care and affection as possible is
given.
>
>I have attached AQIS webpage relating to quarantine accommodation should you require further information.
>
>I have also attached AQIS protocols in relation to the transit and transhipment of dogs and cats en route to Australia for your
information, the International Air Transport Association's (http://www1.iata.org/index.htm) web link and a "Word" document that
details IATA container requirements.
>
>Should you wish for a pet transport company to arrange your pet's export on your behalf, I refer you to
http://www.ipata.com/worldwide.htm.
>
>I trust the above answers your queries, however, please don't hesitate to contact me again should you require further assistance
once you have had an opportunity to read the attached documentation.
>
>Have a nice day.
>Regards
>Noelene McLennan
>Animal Programs
>Tel: 02 6272 4454
>Fax: 02 6272 3110
>Email: [email protected]
>Web Site: http://www.aqis.gov.au

If you need anymore info give me a tinkle
good luck
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for all your help. I have printed copies of your posts so that I don't lose the information. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will benefit from your posts.

Salli
xxxxx
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for all your help. I have printed copies of your posts so that I don't lose the information. I'm sure I'm not the only one that will benefit from your posts.

Salli
xxxxx

ps. dont forget dont get Lepto Spirosis injection done !! I think its called Lipso, should know we breed . But any trace found, is condemned and monitored .

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Jul 5th 2004 at 9:46 am.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:09 pm
The Outback Beast

Salli
xxxxx
Only 5 Bloody kisses

Good luck, catch u soon
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
ps. dont forget dont get Lepto Spirosis injection done !! I think its called Lipso, should know we breed . But any trace found, is condemned and monitored .

Our dog has been given the Lepto vacs since birth so she'll have to be monitored anyway
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by fogmeister
Only 5 Bloody kisses

Good luck, catch u soon

Maybe only 5 kisses, but it's the first time I've kissed anyone on this forum!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 12:51 pm
The Outback Beast

Maybe only 5 kisses, but it's the first time I've kissed anyone on this forum!
We'll I am certainly honoured then, thankyou
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AQIS approved vets?

Originally posted by Larissa
Hiya Guys
Does anyone know how to get hold of the list of approved vets, as I need to get my little Sidney Bop jabbed up
Ta
Larissa
No, I didn't think of the name, he was just Sid b4 my 6 year old called him that

Hi Larissa,

I am using ANIMED vets in Arundel Street Portsmouth theres a vet called Max shes registered to sign all paperwork.

mandyx
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:47 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog has been given the Lepto vacs since birth so she'll have to be monitored anyway

all dogs are given the lepto vacs, but prior to going make sure, they dont include lepto vacs within the migration vacs
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: AQIS approved vets?

Originally posted by mandy smith
Hi Larissa,

I am using ANIMED vets in Arundel Street Portsmouth theres a vet called Max shes registered to sign all paperwork.

mandyx
Thanks Mandy
We have him booked for an appointment at the vets in Elm Grove, will find out soon if they know what they're doing.
See ya
Larissa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.