British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Apartment Strata Management Company (Sydney) Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/apartment-strata-management-company-sydney-question-672640/)

GreenMan72 Jun 16th 2010 1:47 am

Apartment Strata Management Company (Sydney) Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good strata management companies that operate in the greater Sydney area?

My wife and I bought an apartment last year (within a block of 9) and I am on the management committee. However the current guys we are using are absolutely hopeless. Their fees I believe are too high, they rarely get back to us. I could go on, but if anyone has had any good experiences and prepared to name who they are, I would be grateful :)

We are seriously thinking of switching companies :(

Swerv-o Jun 16th 2010 3:22 am

Re: Apartment Strata Management Company (Sydney) Question

Originally Posted by GreenMan72 (Post 8635621)
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good strata management companies that operate in the greater Sydney area?

My wife and I bought an apartment last year (within a block of 9) and I am on the management committee. However the current guys we are using are absolutely hopeless. Their fees I believe are too high, they rarely get back to us. I could go on, but if anyone has had any good experiences and prepared to name who they are, I would be grateful :)

We are seriously thinking of switching companies :(

I don't know of any good ones, but I can definitely recommend steering clear of <snip>, as their service is pretty much the same as you are currently experiencing...

S

GreenMan72 Jun 16th 2010 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 8635692)
I don't know of any good ones, but I can definitely recommend steering clear of <snip>, as their service is pretty much the same as you are currently experiencing...

S

Thanks - will avoid them like the plague :thumbup:

Our current providers we feel are taking us for a big ride. They are overquoting on jobs (one of our residents in the background contacted the supplier and found out the job was cheaper than they had quoted us - this therefore implies they are taking a cut for themselves), seldomly returning emails or calls and generally being extremely cr*p.

Plus simple jobs take forever or never get done at all. I have requested balance sheets from them and they are charging us astronomical fees for the admins. Our fees are therefore very high and one of the properties that sold recently, people expressed issues around how high our strata fees were.

Not sure whether I am allowed to name or shame, but anyone reading this please please avoid Strata Cho*ce<snip> Associates like the plague!!

Swerv-o Jun 16th 2010 6:13 am

Originally Posted by GreenMan72 (Post 8635845)
Thanks - will avoid them like the plague :thumbup:

Our current providers we feel are taking us for a big ride. They are overquoting on jobs (one of our residents in the background contacted the supplier and found out the job was cheaper than they had quoted us - this therefore implies they are taking a cut for themselves), seldomly returning emails or calls and generally being extremely cr*p.

Plus simple jobs take forever or never get done at all. I have requested balance sheets from them and they are charging us astronomical fees for the admins. Our fees are therefore very high and one of the properties that sold recently, people expressed issues around how high our strata fees were.

Not sure whether I am allowed to name or shame, but anyone reading this please please avoid <snip> Associates like the plague!!

Wow, this sounds exactly the same as our lot - I am frankly amazed that you didn't say it was the same mob!

S

Dancingfield Jun 17th 2010 12:41 am

Because there are so many facets to managing a building without dropping the ball, you need someone with lots of experience who have been around forever and have a good rep. Many strata companies are only focussed on the bigger buildings with higher revenues. We are currently trying out a DIY online option that means we do most of the organising and the management co do the paperwork - the price is good and being able to do things online after hours for no extra cost is pretty sweet. Without naming names, they are based in Manly - have been for 50 years or more. :thumbsup:

OzSheila Jun 17th 2010 1:24 am

Originally Posted by GreenMan72 (Post 8635845)
Our current providers we feel are taking us for a big ride. They are overquoting on jobs (one of our residents in the background contacted the supplier and found out the job was cheaper than they had quoted us - this therefore implies they are taking a cut for themselves.

Gosh is this still happening?? Back in the mid to late 1980's there was a big investigation into Strata Management companies taking "backhanders". At the centre of it was the company that managed our property. They were based in the Eastern suburbs; huge company and I think they ended up going bust or being shut down. Some things never change.:thumbdown:

Dancingfield Jun 17th 2010 1:33 am

Seems unfair all tradies get tarred with the same brush - usually only a few bad apples. there is a good bench mark - company called Trade Monitors which regulates all their insurances etc. Make sure the strata management co you go with links in with them - and only uses the good guys.
Also once you find a good plumber or maintenance guy, make sure their details are included on your file so you get them next time.
our online site has a place where we can add details of suppliers who have done a good job - touch wood no need for plumbers so far!