Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anything you've regretted NOT bringing with you?

Anything you've regretted NOT bringing with you?

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

gday_eh is a jewel in the roughgday_eh is a jewel in the roughgday_eh is a jewel in the roughgday_eh is a jewel in the rough
Default Anything you've regretted NOT bringing with you?

In the final frantic days before making the big move, during the process of selling/donating/storing/general purging of your worldly possessions, is there anything you've truly regretted not packing or shipping over?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anything you've regretted NOT bringing with you?

Originally Posted by gday_eh
In the final frantic days before making the big move, during the process of selling/donating/storing/general purging of your worldly possessions, is there anything you've truly regretted not packing or shipping over?
My X-type Jag. It would have cost a fortune to bring with the import duties and everything, but I really liked that car... sniff...

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:02 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything you've regretted NOT bringing with you?

My 5 year old Meile dishwasher. Thought it wouldn't like the journey, rentals all have dishwashers and it would probably only sit in the garage....

.......have just spent $2400 on a new one because
  • they are seriously expensive here
  • the rental one was crap and I was ready to take a hammer to it!
  • there is now a dishwasher in the garage but its not ours!

Along with keeping our money in pounds to await the great recovery, stupidest decision we made!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:37 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

That old chip for ones shoulder

That seems to be the first thing most BE posters pack
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

My Mexican maid. She was an absolute diamond, had been with us for a number of years and was great at dusting, hoovering and the like . . .
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I think ifi could turn the clock back, i would ship out my Tumble Dryer (could really do with it in winter) and my fridge freezer (most familys have 2). Other than that i dont think id change much.
Good Luck with everything

Cal x
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:29 am
ABCDiamond

The £10,000 I left behind as the rate was only 2.7 at the time, and I hoped for a bit extra....

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with a couple of suitcases and my guitars and I miss nuuuuuthing.

I do rather regret having to sell all my books and Vinyl/CDs for a pittance but them's the breaks ...
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
That old chip for ones shoulder

That seems to be the first thing most BE posters pack
Actually they seem like logs......
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

My hoover!! We ended up with a drag along the floor job here, it was useless, we now have a Dyson, just the same as the one we gave away before we left!!

Other items include a washing line (spin around one) laundry basket, ironing board - god only knows what we were thinking and why we didn't bring them. I can only blame some sort of pre move madness

And most importantly my beloved dog, OH didn't want her to come and I gave in as we had friends who were desperate to have her. Biggest mistake I made, although she is very happy in new home

Sam
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

nailbite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sammy T
My hoover!! We ended up with a drag along the floor job here, it was useless, we now have a Dyson, just the same as the one we gave away before we left!!

Other items include a washing line (spin around one) laundry basket, ironing board - god only knows what we were thinking and why we didn't bring them. I can only blame some sort of pre move madness

And most importantly my beloved dog, OH didn't want her to come and I gave in as we had friends who were desperate to have her. Biggest mistake I made, although she is very happy in new home

Sam
Yes definitely pack an upright vacuum cleaner if you don't like the pull along ones - there is a very limited choice here for uprights and they are expensive.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spartacus
My Mexican maid. She was an absolute diamond, had been with us for a number of years and was great at dusting, hoovering and the like . . .
How do you manage the house and kids without your maid? We have a lovely "maid" who has been with us for 7 years. The kids love her and the house is immaculate. I don't know how I would cope without her! Hope this doesn't sound too awful.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushimania
How do you manage the house and kids without your maid? We have a lovely "maid" who has been with us for 7 years. The kids love her and the house is immaculate. I don't know how I would cope without her! Hope this doesn't sound too awful.
House and kids?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Barber jacket for long dog walks, really miss it in July/August. Gave a lot of my Winter clothes away as well, you probably only need them here for 2/3 months but would be handy at times

House stuff - brought everything and glad we did
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Wallpaper and nice bits and bobs (vases etc) for the house. I know they sell them here but they're all much of a muchness and expensive for what they are. If you have boys, then decent trainers too. A decent, trendy pair can cost you a fortune.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.