Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone sold car to company for cash??

anyone sold car to company for cash??

Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

tinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the roughtinkerbelle146hp is a jewel in the rough
Default anyone sold car to company for cash??

Due to credit crunch, lack of selling the house, we are now worried we will be unable to sell our car in the next three weeks.Was wondering if anyone had used one of those companies that buys your car for cash?
I know they will pay less than market value, not sure how much, but wondered if anyone had any knowledge about them?
We also only have 3 weeks to go till we go to Sydney and could do to sell car here so we can get one there!!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:00 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone sold car to company for cash??

Originally Posted by tinkerbelle146hp
Due to credit crunch, lack of selling the house, we are now worried we will be unable to sell our car in the next three weeks.Was wondering if anyone had used one of those companies that buys your car for cash?
I know they will pay less than market value, not sure how much, but wondered if anyone had any knowledge about them?
We also only have 3 weeks to go till we go to Sydney and could do to sell car here so we can get one there!!!
We're in the same situation (except its 4 weeks till Syndey) and I've also considered these companies. I've had an online quote from webuyanycar dot com and it was pretty bad (worse than that of the dealer who originally sold me the car). I'd only use them as a last resort. In my case, if a private sale doesn't work out, I'm going back to the dealer.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 30th 2015 at 11:02 pm. Reason: remove link at company request 1 july 2015.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Is it not worth taking it with you? Not sure how much they charge but I understand that most people advise buying new in Aus so do you want to pay this expense? Good luck
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

I bought my new car for £10,000 last November. Took it back to the same dealer to sell, and he offered me £5,800!!!! Bloody hell. Anyway, same car going on Ebay for £8000. Thats more like it. Sell it on there, it'll only take a week.

Tracy
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Is it not worth taking it with you? Not sure how much they charge but I understand that most people advise buying new in Aus so do you want to pay this expense? Good luck
Have a read of the thread about importing a car. Not as simple as just "bringing it with you" I'm afraid.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We sold our Rav4 to a Toyota dealer just before we moved over. Probably got about GBP5-600 less than if we'd sold it ourselves but I was fairly happy with what we got. I'd also got to a stage where I couldn't be arsed to try and sell and just wanted to get rid of it.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

Don't envy you at all, we had 6 weeks to sell an Audi A3 and a TDI Golf once the visa was granted. Given everything else that was going on, the last thing we wanted was to have to deal with randoms turning up at the house for test drives and potentially nicking either of the cars, giving us a dodgy cheque etc.

I spoke to people selling similar cars to the A3 on both eBay and Autotrader and the advice was that they weren't selling (this despite my car being v low mileage and v high spec). They also warned me not to leave the numberplate visible in the ads as one of the cards had been cloned as a result. I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle

After offering both cars round work, friends etc, I ended up selling mine back to the Audi dealer that I bought it from 6mths earlier at a 2K loss and we used wewillbuyyourcar.com to sell the Golf at a loss of around 2k also. They were excellent, I would wholeheartedly recommend them and the whole thing was sorted in a couple of days from start to finish. They let us keep the car until the day that we flew and transferred the money electronically, not taking the car until the bank had confirmed the transfer.

Yes, we took a hit financially but in terms of stress, it solved a major issue for us quite painlessly. The whole car situation was made even worse by the fact that some stupid B*tch drove into my car 2 days before Christmas and that had to be fixed as well before I could sell it.

Needless to say after all that hassle and expense, we now live in the city and have not bought another car and don't intend to for quite a while! We're quite a bit fitter and healthier as a result too...

Edna xx
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Don't envy you at all, we had 6 weeks to sell an Audi A3 and a TDI Golf once the visa was granted. Given everything else that was going on, the last thing we wanted was to have to deal with randoms turning up at the house for test drives and potentially nicking either of the cars, giving us a dodgy cheque etc.

I spoke to people selling similar cars to the A3 on both eBay and Autotrader and the advice was that they weren't selling (this despite my car being v low mileage and v high spec). They also warned me not to leave the numberplate visible in the ads as one of the cards had been cloned as a result. I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle

After offering both cars round work, friends etc, I ended up selling mine back to the Audi dealer that I bought it from 6mths earlier at a 2K loss and we used wewillbuyyourcar.com to sell the Golf at a loss of around 2k also. They were excellent, I would wholeheartedly recommend them and the whole thing was sorted in a couple of days from start to finish. They let us keep the car until the day that we flew and transferred the money electronically, not taking the car until the bank had confirmed the transfer.

Yes, we took a hit financially but in terms of stress, it solved a major issue for us quite painlessly. The whole car situation was made even worse by the fact that some stupid B*tch drove into my car 2 days before Christmas and that had to be fixed as well before I could sell it.

Needless to say after all that hassle and expense, we now live in the city and have not bought another car and don't intend to for quite a while! We're quite a bit fitter and healthier as a result too...

Edna xx
I was going to sell to webuyanycar.com but as I had outstanding finance on my car I couldn't... They will accept cars on finance but the finance company couldn't (or wouldn't) provide a settlement amount that confirmed the most recent payment had been recieved.

I eventually went to my local used car dealer and sold it for more than they were offering anyway.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Essex Neil is on a distinguished road

Hi My haf penneth.....

I was in a similar situation with my bike, I sold it on Ebay within 4 days.

Clean your car take some really good pictures and stick it on EBay.

Within the selling price you get 12 free pictures. Opt for the bigger pictures as they will show your car off better and stand out from the rest.

Write a good accurate description and be honest.

Put on a reserve and a low starting price.

Good Luck....It worked for me. It is worth the agro too .

Cheers