Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone shipped their caravan to Oz

Anyone shipped their caravan to Oz

Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

ToOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone shipped their caravan to Oz

Thinking of shipping caravan to Oz, if anyone has done it what were the costs involved.

We've owned the caravan over 12 months so no tax to pay on shipping but wondered what other costs might we have to pay once we get it shipped.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:55 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone shipped their caravan to Oz

Hello :0)

I wouldn't worry about the costs so much, but rather things like.....does it have air conditioning or fly screens fitted to the windows and doors??

I'm sure there's probably a whole miriad of legal implications too if car imports are any thing to go by.

But on a positive note....camping and caravanning are national obsessions here with heaps of vans too choose from. We love our camping holidays here

Oh and welcome to the site
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Yep does have fly screens but would need to install aircon if we do decide to take it - The problem is I have been looking at the price of caravans on the 'Trading Post' and they seem extortionate compared to the uk prices.

Just thought maybe it would be worth while shipping.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by ToOz
Hi

Yep does have fly screens but would need to install aircon if we do decide to take it - The problem is I have been looking at the price of caravans on the 'Trading Post' and they seem extortionate compared to the uk prices.

Thanks for the welcome.
aircon is very easy to fit but more than half the caravans here don't have aircon and yes caravans are very expensive in oz plus the fittings are crap.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.
can always get a portable air con. they dont' cost that much and a small one would be plenty big enough.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:26 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

We've owned the caravan over 12 months so no tax to pay on shipping but wondered what other costs might we have to pay once we get it shipped.
It all depends on your residency status.

As a tourist or temporary resident, you may bring a motor vehicle or a motorcycle and attached trailer or a caravan to Australia for a period of up to 12 months (or longer under certain circumstances) without paying duty on them, provided they are subsequently exported from Australia.
source: ACS

So if you are a TR then you don't have any duty to pay providing you reexport it within twelve months. Apart from that you will be subject to Duty @ 5% of the Cuustoms Value (see below) plus GST @ 10% on the total (see below). I just spoke to Australian Customs to confirm this.

"Customs Value" - The agreed value of the car when it lands in Australia. This can be either the Invoice value minus whatever depreciation Customs decide or you can get an official Valuation done by an authorised valuer in Australia (costs around $200) which is well worth it if the costs are going to be high as these guys are much fairer that Customs. This can sometimes be ~60% of the actual value (don't ask me to explain it all now, but it's down the the unregistered hunk of metal value at the dock in Australia)

"the total" - 10& GST is charged on the sum of Customs Value and Duty Paid and Shipping Costs and Shipping Insurance. So say your Customs Valuation is $20,000, Duty on that is $1,000, Shipping at $1,400 and Insurance at $200 you would be paying $2,260 in GST on top of the $1,000 duty

For more info on that see my article on Importing your Vehicle as 90% of the procedure is the same for a non-motorised Caravan or large trailer as it is for a Car

Total Duty and GST: $3,260

Even then you can't just bring it over. You still need to apply for a VSB10 Approval to Import from DOTARs (now) which also states:

New and Used Trailers up to 4.5 Tonnes Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM)
These trailers may be approved for importation to Australia subject to the trailers being modified according to the requirements of the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) before being sold or registered for use on public roads for the first time in Australia. Details of the requirements are given in VSB 1 Building Small Trailers.
Source: VSB1 (see other links below)

The VSB10 (previously VB10) is the Approval to Import

Document: VSB10 - Approval to Import Motor Vehicle Form (PDF)
Document: VSB10 - Approval to Import Motor Vehicle Notes (PDF)

...and your vehicle will have to comform to the Australian standards laid out in VSB1

Website: Importing Trailers (aka Building Small Trailers) Notes (formally DOTARs)
Document: VSB1 - Building Small Trailers Notes(PDF)

Then your caravan will be inspected by AQIS which has a heap of forms and red tape too. They go crazy over cars, they can go crazy over your household items, so god knows what they will do with a caravan, they may even force you to pay for them to steam the entire thing, inside and out.

You might want to check out their requirements and forms for motor vehicles and trailers

THEN you'll have to register it as a Used Trailer purchase with your equaivalent of VicRoads and be charged fee's Duty again ! I was done for 4% Used Car duty when I registered my own car ! Same for Trailers (aka caravans too apparently)

Personally, I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Unless your going to make a fortune by bringing it over your making a hairy scary monkey for your back. It's bad enough importing your car (which I've done and with hindsight would rather poor acid into my ears)

Sell in the UK, buy one here.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 14th 2008 at 1:56 am.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:32 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of shipping caravan to Oz...
Bring it... you might need it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7447964.stm
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DrWho
If you write to Top Gear and tell Jeremy Clarkson what you want to do, he'll bribe kangaroos to set it on fire.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DrWho
Your not far wrong going by the exchange rates we'll be through our cash in no time - what I really need is a Tardis, save on flights and accommodation - perfect.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bigAPE
It all depends on your residency status.

source: ACS

So if you are a TR then you don't have any duty to pay providing you reexport it within twelve months. Apart from that you will be subject to Duty @ 5% of the Cuustoms Value (see below) plus GST @ 10% on the total (see below). I just spoke to Australian Customs to confirm this.

"Customs Value" - The agreed value of the car when it lands in Australia. This can be either the Invoice value minus whatever depreciation Customs decide or you can get an official Valuation done by an authorised valuer in Australia (costs around $200) which is well worth it if the costs are going to be high as these guys are much fairer that Customs. This can sometimes be ~60% of the actual value (don't ask me to explain it all now, but it's down the the unregistered hunk of metal value at the dock in Australia)

"the total" - 10& GST is charged on the sum of Customs Value and Duty Paid and Shipping Costs and Shipping Insurance. So say your Customs Valuation is $20,000, Duty on that is $1,000, Shipping at $1,400 and Insurance at $200 you would be paying $2,260 in GST on top of the $1,000 duty

For more info on that see my article on Importing your Vehicle as 90% of the procedure is the same for a non-motorised Caravan or large trailer as it is for a Car

Total Duty and GST: $3,260

Even then you can't just bring it over. You still need to apply for a VSB10 Approval to Import from DOTARs (now) which also states:

Source: VSB1 (see other links below)

The VSB10 (previously VB10) is the Approval to Import

Document: VSB10 - Approval to Import Motor Vehicle Form (PDF)
Document: VSB10 - Approval to Import Motor Vehicle Notes (PDF)

...and your vehicle will have to comform to the Australian standards laid out in VSB1

Website: Importing Trailers (aka Building Small Trailers) Notes (formally DOTARs)
Document: VSB1 - Building Small Trailers Notes(PDF)

Then your caravan will be inspected by AQIS which has a heap of forms and red tape too. They go crazy over cars, they can go crazy over your household items, so god knows what they will do with a caravan, they may even force you to pay for them to steam the entire thing, inside and out.

You might want to check out their requirements and forms for motor vehicles and trailers

THEN you'll have to register it as a Used Trailer purchase with your equaivalent of VicRoads and be charged fee's Duty again ! I was done for 4% Used Car duty when I registered my own car ! Same for Trailers (aka caravans too apparently)

Personally, I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Unless your going to make a fortune by bringing it over your making a hairy scary monkey for your back. It's bad enough importing your car (which I've done and with hindsight would rather poor acid into my ears)

Sell in the UK, buy one here.

Al
We have a PR visa, the caravan cost around £5500 so as long as oz customs don't estimate what its worth too high it could be ok. I will work out the costs and see whats available in oz for the same value, then decide.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:13 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpookyET
If you write to Top Gear and tell Jeremy Clarkson what you want to do, he'll bribe kangaroos to set it on fire.
Dropping from the crane is more fun...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:15 pm
Timelord

...what I really need is a Tardis...
I should rent space... there's loads of room in here...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:17 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to know my research helped
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Glad to know my research helped
Sorry bigape, all those percentages scarred me for a while, I have re-red your post and think I get it - we will have to pay approx $3260 on a $20000 caravan sooooo an £11000 one should be approx $2760

And thanks for the links too - very much apreciated.

Oh what to do, don't fancy getting into an acid earhole type of frenzy