Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone shipped car from UK to Perth ?

Anyone shipped car from UK to Perth ?

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:46 am
Look a star

zzidane will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone shipped car from UK to Perth ?

Hi we are just finalizing things in the UK prior to our move back to Perth and would like to bring our car with us this time. Purely because we know how expensive it will be to buy something similar over there. The vehicle in question is a 2005/6 vauxhall (Holden for the Ozzies Opel for you Irish) Zafira.
I remember seeing the earlier model when we were living there but cannot see or find the newer model advertised anywhere to get a rough idea of valuation or to see if meets the ADR requirements.
Has anyone had experience in shipping their car in the past and has anyone shipped a Zafira.
My main concern I think unless someone can tell me otherwise is regarding the third row of seats and adequate secondary anchorage for a child seat behind it as I know the seat cannot be secured via the seat belt only.

Thanks

Pete
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:26 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone shipped car from UK to Perth ?

They are also available here as Holden Zafira, here's an example :-

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/ho...&pg=1&pp=1&d=0

I wouldn't have thought it was worth bringing one over, by the time you have paid freight, insurance, duty, GST and then had it ADR complied and registered the cost would be more than buying one when you get here. you would have to have child seat belt anchors installed if they don't already exist to meet compliance regs.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother shipping it, it will be too expensive and the aircon will not cope with the heat .
Old Apr 24th 2012, 5:01 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

A rough idea of cost for shipping:-

Shared Container inc insurance UK 2,200
!0% Customs duty on the current value
10% GST on the total of current value plus duty ( double dipping )
about AU$500 in clearance charges and steam cleaning in Australia
plus stamp duty and rego in Australia
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Don't bother shipping it, it will be too expensive and the aircon will not cope with the heat .
..plus as an import its' value is appreciably less than a local one.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

booshay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
was thinkin of shippin myself......... but thats a good point about the aircon
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:33 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzidane
Hi we are just finalizing things in the UK prior to our move back to Perth and would like to bring our car with us this time. Purely because we know how expensive it will be to buy something similar over there. The vehicle in question is a 2005/6 vauxhall (Holden for the Ozzies Opel for you Irish) Zafira.
I remember seeing the earlier model when we were living there but cannot see or find the newer model advertised anywhere to get a rough idea of valuation or to see if meets the ADR requirements.
Has anyone had experience in shipping their car in the past and has anyone shipped a Zafira.
My main concern I think unless someone can tell me otherwise is regarding the third row of seats and adequate secondary anchorage for a child seat behind it as I know the seat cannot be secured via the seat belt only.

Thanks

Pete
Just beaware of this problem with the Zafira engines, as I would hate you to ship it over, pay import duty etc and then........

They have an inerrant issue with the oil pick-up for the timing chain, I have had at least 5 arrive at my workshop in the past couple of years. You should take this into account as it more than likely 'might' be an issue that needs fixing. I know things can go wrong with any vehicle, but this problem is relatively common, yet expensive to fix!

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/ca...ng.asp?cls=663

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/up...y.asp?aid=8160
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:44 am
Look a star

zzidane will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
Our is a later model that Holden did not sell in Australia. Ours has a timing belt set up. I know the 2.2 ltr engine well mainly from the vectra's over here and yes it is a common issue. Manly because of lack of maintenance.
Our zafira is basically the Astra "G" (wagon) chassis with more head room and seats, so I guess parts will not be an issue.
I'm a mechanic by trade so again no real maintenance issues there too.

Still undecided wether its worth the hassle or not. We know the cars history, its never been a problem, would run it in to the ground to be honest so re sale value isnt an issue, and to get something of the same size age and mileage/km will in comparison be more expensive.