Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone reported theft from to the Police??

Anyone reported theft from to the Police??

Old May 26th 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough
Angry Anyone reported theft from to the Police??

Hi

Has anyone reported theft from the container be it either the packing/delivery company or customs to the police???

If so what was the outcome??

Thanks
Old May 26th 2010, 2:11 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone reported theft from to the Police??

I haven't heard of anyone doing it on here before.

I think it might be difficult to prove where it happened and how. I imagine their jurisdiction only beings at the dock once it's landed. They couldn't do much about if it went missing on the ship or overseas.

To be honest I'm not sure what they would do about it.
Old May 26th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I would have a look very closely at your shipping contract and in particular at the insurance. I have had stuff go missing on flights and the response i got from the carrier was that it wasnt their fault, it probably happened at the holding pen at customs, customs told me it could have been the handlers in the UK, do you catch my drift here? Everyone passes the buck so check your paperwork very carefully, its basically your only recourse.

Good luck

Bob
Old May 26th 2010, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

There will be no way to prove theft in this situation, let alone find a culprit to charge. There won't even be any way to tell in whose jurisdiction things went missing, so I would imagine the police response would be "why on earth are you telling us". Your only comeback is your insurance unfortunately. Hopefully it wasn't anything of sentimental value!
Old May 27th 2010, 6:05 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
There will be no way to prove theft in this situation, let alone find a culprit to charge. There won't even be any way to tell in whose jurisdiction things went missing, so I would imagine the police response would be "why on earth are you telling us". Your only comeback is your insurance unfortunately. Hopefully it wasn't anything of sentimental value!
Yep sorry to say - its more likly to be classed as lost rather than theft. You would need proof. Insurance is really the only way to go. If they want to pursue a thief leave it up to the insurance company to contact the police to investigate and pass on any information you have on the "theft" to them - you may find your claim is processed quicker!
Old May 31st 2010, 2:44 am
Just Joined

guygrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it from an Allied Pickfords shipment?

We had stuff stolen from our shipment that came through Allied Pickfords Dandenong.

We reported it to the Victoria Police. We shall see.
Old May 31st 2010, 4:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guygrace

We had stuff stolen from our shipment that came through Allied Pickfords Dandenong.

What are you expecting Victoria Police to do? The theft could have taken place anywhere from your house to the middle of the Atlantic or any one of the dozen places your container stopped along the way.
Old May 31st 2010, 5:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guygrace

At best you can look forward to a crime reference number and to be honest I must agree in that I wonder what you really expect the police to do for you ?
Old May 31st 2010, 6:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on here had their firearms taken by the removal men, I do believe CCTV had them on camera at some point and the police were involved.

ill see if I can find the link.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Someone on here had their firearms taken by the removal men, I do believe CCTV had them on camera at some point and the police were involved.

ill see if I can find the link.
That was still in UK and they had it on CCTV. The UK police did get involved. The OP is talking about a case of things going missing somewhere between leaving their house and arriving at their new house.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Firearms are a very serious matter anyhow and the police would want to chase that one up. Less so in the case of a nice DVD player I suspect.