Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Even as someone who lived in Brisbane I know all about the reputation of the Elizabeth area, it is similar to areas like Marsden, Kingston, Loganlea, Woodridge etc in Brisbane, I dont have to have lived there to know they arent places I would choose to live. As has been said property prices are always low(er) for a reason. Its not to say you cant live in any of these areas all your life and never be a victim of crime, we lived in a very good area and were affected but in these areas your chances are significantly higher, statistics prove that.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Even as someone who lived in Brisbane I know all about the reputation of the Elizabeth area, it is similar to areas like Marsden, Kingston, Loganlea, Woodridge etc in Brisbane, I dont have to have lived there to know they arent places I would choose to live. As has been said property prices are always low(er) for a reason. Its not to say you cant live in any of these areas all your life and never be a victim of crime, we lived in a very good area and were affected but in these areas your chances are significantly higher, statistics prove that.
The problem is is the data doesn't overly reflect it - just the crimes very. In Charles Sturt council area the total number of crimes is 134.75 per 1000 people, and in Salisbury which covers Elizabeth, the rate is 134.46. If you live in Salisbury, you're more likely to be a victim of general violence, ther are more drugs and motoring offences; but you are more likely to be raped or burgled in Charles Sturt. Charles Sturt Council covers Henley Beach, Grange, West Lakes. The total number of offences for Charles Sturt is 14,614 with a population of 108,456. The total number of crimes for Salisbury is 17,816 but the population is 132,499. I picked Charles Sturt for comparison as it is considered a good area, and it is where we are renting
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The problem is is the data doesn't overly reflect it - just the crimes very. In Charles Sturt council area the total number of crimes is 134.75 per 1000 people, and in Salisbury which covers Elizabeth, the rate is 134.46. If you live in Salisbury, you're more likely to be a victim of general violence, ther are more drugs and motoring offences; but you are more likely to be raped or burgled in Charles Sturt. Charles Sturt Council covers Henley Beach, Grange, West Lakes. The total number of offences for Charles Sturt is 14,614 with a population of 108,456. The total number of crimes for Salisbury is 17,816 but the population is 132,499. I picked Charles Sturt for comparison as it is considered a good area, and it is where we are renting
The issue with stats is that they deal with recorded crime, and low socioeconomic areas like Elizabeth often have a lot of crime that goes unreported for a variety of reasons (fear of reprisals, the types of crime committed, etc). It's interesting that Chris heard of Elizabeth all the way up in Brisbane. Look, anyone who wants to find out for themselves - all they have to do is google best and worst suburbs of Adelaide and read the forums. I guarantee Elizabeth will crop up in most discussions as one of the worst. Aries lives there, or nearby, and has experience of the place being OK so she defends it and that's fair enough. I'm saying that I prefer to stick with the general consensus and avoid it.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The reputation of the Elizabeth area is often based on hearsay, wild anecdotes and plain rubbish. I felt no more at risk living at Elizabeth Vale than I did at Toorak Gardens in Adelaide or Beaumaris in Melbourne. Very clearly properties in these areas are more expensive and upmarket than at Eizabeth, but for anyone to use statistics with no personal knowledge, shows a disregard for fairness.

Prejudices and ill-advised comments such as the ones I have heard on this forum are the reason for some people to believe everything they hear, and of course this leads to lower prices for property investors to take advantage of.

My real estate agent (a neighbour) was also insistent that she placed the price of my house higher than normal, other real estate agents were out for a quick sale and didn't care if home owners received less money. Her colleagues were critical of her, they were indulging in building their own property portfolios in the area. Wth the large corner blocks they choose to demolish and build three houses, each more expensive to buy than the house destroyed.

Yes there is crime, and yes there are streets I didn't like, but there are other suburbs in Adelaide and other cities which are far less agreeable.

To be back on subject, the high cost of living in Australia can lead to migrants leaving, but when they want everything all at once, and believe it is their right to live in large smart homes which they struggle to afford, they bring defeat upon themselves. Many migrants certainly achieve the dream, Australia has a lot to offer for those who try. I was friends with an Italian migrant family who initially lived in a galvanised iron hut in the middle of their field at Virginia. British migrants laughed at such people in the 1950s and 1960s, but the Italians buckled under, worked hard in the fields, and became market garden multi millionaires with overseas markets. Now Vietnamese are striving to do the same.

The moral of this story is . . . don't laugh or be critical of people and areas you perceive to be inferior, they could well be the ones who survive.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Prejudices and ill-advised comments such as the ones I have heard on this forum are the reason for some people to believe everything they hear, and of course this leads to lower prices for property investors to take advantage of.
You do understand that crime reports and so on are primary sources and that those who use them are not being "prejudiced and ill-advised", but being led by evidence-based fact? It's just that you persistently insult me with this charge and it is patently and demonstrably false.

Elizabeth requires more policing - SAPOL have two teams to cover the four suburbs around and including Elizabeth, where as they have another two teams for 18 of the other city suburbs. Why do you think Elizabeth requires such heavy policing? What I think is that it is ill-advised to tell new immigrants Elizabeth is a nice suburb when it factually is one of the most dangerous in the city.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

just agree to disagree and move on!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
just agree to disagree and move on!
Totally agree. I'm starting to feel like Richard Dawkins when he's arguing with a creationist. Unsubscribing from thread!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
The reputation of the Elizabeth area is often based on hearsay, wild anecdotes and plain rubbish. I felt no more at risk living at Elizabeth Vale than I did at Toorak Gardens in Adelaide or Beaumaris in Melbourne. Very clearly properties in these areas are more expensive and upmarket than at Eizabeth, but for anyone to use statistics with no personal knowledge, shows a disregard for fairness.

My real estate agent (a neighbour) was also insistent that she placed the price of my house higher than normal, other real estate agents were out for a quick sale and didn't care if home owners received less money. Her colleagues were critical of her, they were indulging in building their own property portfolios in the area. Wth the large corner blocks they choose to demolish and build three houses, each more expensive to buy than the house destroyed.

Yes there is crime, and yes there are streets I didn't like, but there are other suburbs in Adelaide and other cities which are far less agreeable.

To be back on subject, the high cost of living in Australia can lead to migrants leaving, but when they want everything all at once, and believe it is their right to live in large smart homes which they struggle to afford, they bring defeat upon themselves. Many migrants certainly achieve the dream, Australia has a lot to offer for those who try. I was friends with an Italian migrant family who initially lived in a galvanised iron hut in the middle of their field at Virginia. British migrants laughed at such people in the 1950s and 1960s, but the Italians buckled under, worked hard in the fields, and became market garden multi millionaires with overseas markets. Now Vietnamese are striving to do the same.

The moral of this story is . . . don't laugh or be critical of people and areas you perceive to be inferior, they could well be the ones who survive.