Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:20 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by brummy
you know nothings changed in a hundred or so years in this country,even back in the early days ,gold rushes etc...nothing for nothing not in this game...

youve got to be in it to win it?
so you mean expats need to work hard, not expect to knock off at lunchtime and go to the beach all day, drinking VB, can't buy their house for a fraction of what they paid in UK

that's a bag of shite. I'm off back
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:22 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomtastic
True, where you live is how you are judged, like it or not. Aussies are generally more class conscious than Brits, IMO. In Perth, the Poms tend to live in the McMansions in the outer suburbs, Aussies don't touch these suburbs and you'll find the local schools full of Poms.
Yeah exactly. Like I said in another thread If I moved into these areas My friends would disown me. I actually thought moving into Joondalup centro to be close to Uni but my friends discouraged me from doing that. this is how Australians operate.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

True, where you live is how you are judged, like it or not. Aussies are generally more class conscious than Brits, IMO. In Perth, the Poms tend to live in the McMansions in the outer suburbs, Aussies don't touch these suburbs and you'll find the local schools full of Poms.
I am wondering if Australians might be more money conscious, not sure if that is the same as class conscious.

I was at a management offsite meeting a couple of months ago and someone famous (well famous in Australia, I had no idea who they were) was brought in to do the after dinner speech. Well within the speech they included loads of stuff about how much money they were making and how they bought a house for their mother by the time they were 30 etc etc. I thought it was vulgar, I was cringing with embarrassment for the chap, but afterwards all my colleagues said how good he was.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree and since becoming citizens and joining in on all this have ditched our house and land package in legoland full of Poms, kiwis, Belgians, Scots, and Bogans in their rentals and moved to one of the cheaper houses in a decent ie expensive acreage suburb surrounded by Aussies, the few poms in the area don't go out of their way to advertise the fact.

Took a while to find the Australia we wanted and justify the move from the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

They will also judge you as whether you have bought your place where you are living or are "just" a renter..........
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Beedubya
You have a much nicer house and backyard by the looks of it.
Yes. Our Aussie house is nearly three times larger than our UK house (which we still own), and our neighbours are actually recognisable as human beings. It's quite refreshing.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am wondering if Australians might be more money conscious, not sure if that is the same as class conscious.

I was at a management offsite meeting a couple of months ago and someone famous (well famous in Australia, I had no idea who they were) was brought in to do the after dinner speech. Well within the speech they included loads of stuff about how much money they were making and how they bought a house for their mother by the time they were 30 etc etc. I thought it was vulgar, I was cringing with embarrassment for the chap, but afterwards all my colleagues said how good he was.
You better get used to it........
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
People here don't seem to realise that they estates are basically created to rip british migrants off. Australians except dysfunctional Aboriginal families and horrible bogan families along with migrants are the only people who go into these areas.
Again, I have to agree with you.

Neighbours/Home and Away/Relocation Down Under, etc have been successful selling tools for the British while the GBP was strong against the AUD - the situation has backflipped now. I do wonder if the Aussie Tourist Industry did in fact subsidise these TV programmes to sell Aus?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
People here don't seem to realise that they estates are basically created to rip british migrants off. Australians except dysfunctional Aboriginal families and horrible bogan families along with migrants are the only people who go into these areas.
Not too far from the truth, we bought into it and wasted $30,000 getting out into something properly Australian
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, was is the tennis player Mark Philipoussis? He who shagged Paris Hilton and is now a property bankrupt?

Sounds like a property investment seminar to me, these ****ers worm their way in at every corporate level - for a price.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha, was is the tennis player Mark Philipoussis? He who shagged Paris Hilton and is now a property bankrupt?

Sounds like a property investment seminar to me, these ****ers worm their way in at every corporate level - for a price.

No it was not Mark whatsit. Who?

And it was not a property investment seminar, it was an internal management offsite for my organisation, which is nothing to do with property and the speech was not about property either.

I don't want to say what business the speaker was in just in case anybody guesses who he was.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:42 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
so you mean expats need to work hard, not expect to knock off at lunchtime and go to the beach all day, drinking VB, can't buy their house for a fraction of what they paid in UK

that's a bag of shite. I'm off back
you know were a strange ol bunch us travellers.i remember reading on here once about rose tinted glasses..yes i agree i was one of those none listening inexperienced optimistic poms that would not listen to seasoned poms...but..

i still believe that these shores are for me and one day i will stumble upon my pot of gold....

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:42 am
Home Sweet Home

No it was not Mark whatsit. Who?

And it was not a property investment seminar, it was an internal management offsite for my organisation, which is nothing to do with property and the speech was not about property either.

I don't want to say what business the speaker was in just in case anybody guesses who he was.
Thinking, thinking............
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
They will also judge you as whether you have bought your place where you are living or are "just" a renter..........
Ha ha. I know people who have bought in Clarkson, Perth. Unluckily, they locked in their mortgage a couple of years ago and are paying $800 a week to service their mortgage. $800 a week to live in Clarkson!!!!, just so they can say they *own* a property. The kids go to the local school - say no more. These people could rent a $500 *nice* house in an alright suburb AND send their kids to a private school AND have money left over.

I'd know what my priorities would be. **** me, $800 a week in Clarkson!!! Trouble is, interest rates could soon be heading back that way to the pre GFC crash levels because of our boom.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wendy
Can we not compare a Mondeo Zetec with a Mondeo Zetec?
Does seem a very good idea doesn't it... But that wouldn't seem to put Australia in a bad light...... therefore pointless for some

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.