Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As a 55 YO FT postal worker earning like most of my workmates in excess of 65,000 Aud (currently 42,000 quid) Plus 9pct high benefits super (some Base workers are getting 70,000 K by doing plenty of OT ) I can Guarantee I would be far worse of financially of in the UK... doing the same job. As they earn around 38,000 Aud. (currently 25,000 pounds)
This comparison is just completely pointless!

It's fun converting our Aus salaries into pounds these days, sure. But if it was $3 (the opposite extreme to today's EXTREME exchange rate) to a pound would you be saying that your London compatriots were better paid than you despite the fact it made no difference to your financial status here in Aus?

I noticed in another thread recently when comparing beer prices you mentioned $2.5 to a pound as a comparison...and as you said it's all about the exchange rate...which really means nothing when you live and work in a country and earn its currency.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
This comparison is just completely pointless!

It's fun converting our Aus salaries into pounds these days, sure. But if it was $3 (the opposite extreme to today's EXTREME exchange rate) to a pound would you be saying that your London compatriots were better paid than you despite the fact it made no difference to your financial status here in Aus?

I noticed in another thread recently when comparing beer prices you mentioned $2.5 to a pound as a comparison...and as you said it's all about the exchange rate...which really means nothing when you live and work in a country and earn its currency.
It does if I sell my house cash in my Super and plant myself in the UK at present. Which comes down to current income. Went through that thought process last year though.

It also makes a difference as soon as we step out of the country and meet with Brits on mutal ground for a holiday.

Although for everyday living I'll grant you it makes no difference... save for maybe Internet purchases.

Maybe I should revert to the hours worked for the old BigMac index for purposes of comparison ?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Absolutely and the results are quite subjective. Our quality of life is defined by distance my husband has to travel to work. In the UK he traveled almost 4 hours a day. Here he travels 50 minutes. He eats with the family every day. For us as a family this is huge and this situation couldn't occur anywhere else in the world at the moment. So if I have to pay a little bit more money on my grocery bill in order to get that then it isn't such a problem.

I emphasise this is our own circumstances and it will not be the case for a lot of people.
This is probably the best answer on this whole thread. It's worth more than all the flash houses and cars in Australia or anywhere else for that matter.

Quality over quantity.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

It doesn't matter how he defines quality, it's his perception for his and his family's life. It will be completely to anyone else's quality.
Correct.

Which is why I was asking Vash from HIS perspective as an Australian living in his own country but with experience of living in the UK.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 29th 2010 at 7:50 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Indented Head
Interesting points going on.

I moved to Australia 10 weeks ago , I agree its expensive to buy groceries , do a meal planner for the week . We eat very well and can afford a bowl of ice cream at the end.

Cars are expensive to buy I agree , but look at this to buy a 14 year old Corsa its about £3,500 . So cars hold some value unlike the UK.

House prises are high , as in the UK . But I did come from a 2 bed terraced in Barnsley and made a healthy return on the sale.

The cash is currently sat in the HSBC in the Uk whilst I decide what to do with it , bring it over and get 5% on my every day savings account in Australia or keep it in my 1% account in UK. A good point to Australia you get a decent savings rate.

I am looking at a $290,000 mortgage in Australia and this will get me 3 bed , 2Bathrooms and a drive with a double garage and utility, I could not of afford this in the UK ever , unless I moved to Grimethorpe in a new Haslam home that are currently up for sale at £100,000 and I would of paid £129,000.

If I dont use my Uk cash towards this buy and deduct the £13,000 first home owners grant the Australian government give me I will be able to afford this .

Happy to do overtime to pay for the special extras I may want , thats life.

Also the land and house package people like you to negotiate I managed to get $40,000 off and carpets and curtains and kitchen up grade.

Rentals are cheap if you look around in Australia , I pay $900 a month for a two bedded near the beach (3 mins away) sounds expensive but salaries cover this.Life is not easy , I knew the rates were crap before I left the UK. But my house sold and didn't in 2002 when I last put it up for sale when the $ was strong.

I came with savings ' saved it to spend it '.

But in 2002 I would not have the cash sat in the bank I have now. And in 2002 I bought a flat in Sheffield that has a tenant in it , and its a long term investment.

In 2002 my good old Mum said dont buy a flat there not going to go up in value ????????? £20,000 since 2002.

You have to ride with the economy spite what country you are in , dont live beyond your means and you will be fine.

Last thing , two weeks ago I had $20 disposable cash before pay day. Me and some friends spent $50 between us (£35) and spent the evening at the beach and used the free gas BBQ the government provide. Fantastic evening with a burger and a few beers.

Barnsley will not give you this ' Dus Tha No Wat A MEEN '?. Make things happen.

What state are you in? No way would you get a 2 bedder for $900 3 minutes away from the beach, around these parts (Sydney).

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 29th 2010 at 8:09 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
Edit to Add
my mistake should be Falcon-14.6L/100km, Mondeo-7.3/100km for city driving
Again I ask: Which Falcon ?

The lowest rated Falcon on the full list is 9.5 L/100km
The lowest rated petrol Mondeo on the list is 9.9 L/100km

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:01 am
ABCDiamond

That 2.3 petrol Mondeo is not even available in the UK, why would you select that model for camparison?
Because it is the same price as the Falcon that I compared to, and you were talking about similar prices cars and the Petrol consumption.

Why did you select a diesel 2 litre engined car to a 4 litre petrol car, when trying to prove that Australian cars use more petrol. A diesel car does not use petrol, and of course a petrol engine car, of twice the size of a diesel, will use more petrol.

If you want to compare Diesel prices, then I am sure the Ford Falcon uses less diesel than your diesel engine Mondeo

However, diesel is more expensive then petrol anyway.

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:01 am
ABCDiamond

All the figures are there on that page but you have chopped them out. The 2011 figures from www.ford.co.uk
You really preferred me to compare ALL of the Falcons and Mondeos from your source.... and roll your eyes because I didn't, and I just compared two that were the same price, one of your other stated points ...

OK...

Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 5.9 L/100km 7.3 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.0L 4cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Diesel 6.2 L/100km 7.7 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo LX 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Titanium 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford MC Mondeo Zetec 2.3L 4cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.5 L/100km 14.1 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6E 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XT 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 9.9 L/100km 14.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.1 L/100km 15.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon G6E Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 10.7 L/100km 14.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.3 L/100km 17.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.3 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 E 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 12.6 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon R6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon Ute 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 4.0L 6cyl, Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 16.5 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 11.7 L/100km 17.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12.5 L/100km 17.1 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-E 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-P 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.7 L/100km 20.6 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.6 L/100km 19.4 urban
Ford FG Falcon GT-P 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.6 L/100km 19.4 urban
Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 91RON 12.7 L/100km 16.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.1 L/100km 17.8 urban
Ford FG Falcon F6 4.0L 6cyl (T), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 13.3 L/100km 18.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon GS 5.0L 8cyl (S), Man 6 speed Petrol 95RON 14 L/100km 19.2 urban
Ford FG Falcon GS 5.0L 8cyl (S), Auto 6 speed Petrol 95RON 14.2 L/100km 20.5 urban

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It does, but by any definition you care to offer, our quality of life in Australia is still vastly superior to our quality of life in the UK.
You have a much nicer house and backyard by the looks of it.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:06 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

you know nothings changed in a hundred or so years in this country,even back in the early days ,gold rushes etc...nothing for nothing not in this game...

youve got to be in it to win it?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by brummy
you know nothings changed in a hundred or so years in this country,even back in the early days ,gold rushes etc...nothing for nothing not in this game...

youve got to be in it to win it?
Or get out before you go brain dead.........
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:11 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I have to agree there, that's the case in Perth.

People are blinded by the newness and cleanliness of the new estates (usually with all the trees mowed down) and by then it's too late when they've moved in - the locals are bogans and your kids are going to school with the ferals. In fact, it's more than likely that it's the UK kids thesedays that are causing the aggro at school.
People here don't seem to realise that they estates are basically created to rip british migrants off. Australians except dysfunctional Aboriginal families and horrible bogan families along with migrants are the only people who go into these areas.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

That 2.3 petrol Mondeo is not even available in the UK, why would you select that model for camparison? Another case of Australia getting the inefficient junk, probably not even allowed to sell it in the UK if the CO2 is too high.

I compared the TDCi. All the figures are there on that page but you have chopped them out. The 2011 figures from www.ford.co.uk

Mazda 3 and the Corolla are smaller cars, I chose a big family from the same company around the same size/price, that is the Falcon/Mondeo but feel free to compare the Auris (Europe Corolla) to the Australian Corolla if you want too. Anyone heard of Valvematic, cheesy name I admit but it's technology that's been in UK Toyotas for years, but still not made to Australia yet.

Edit to Add
my mistake should be Falcon-14.6L/100km, Mondeo-7.3/100km for city driving
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Again I ask: Which Falcon ?

The lowest rated Falcon on the full list is 9.5 L/100km
The lowest rated petrol Mondeo on the list is 9.9 L/100km

Can we not compare a Mondeo Zetec with a Mondeo Zetec? (apologies, if it is a totally different car, but I'm just a girl and don't know about such things! )

Link to Aussie Mondeo...
http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...apper&site=FOA

We had a Mondeo in the UK, and have a Falcon here. Falcon seems to be much bigger and more powerful to me (again, I'm just a girl so could be wrong about all things cars lol)
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:12 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Or get out before you go brain dead.........
yes i agree,were going home just before next december,before the end of the world..
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
This is ridiculous. No one here cares about material things except bogans. No even cares about the size of your house. They do care and do judge you on your location and this is the issue.
True, where you live is how you are judged, like it or not. Aussies are generally more class conscious than Brits, IMO. In Perth, the Poms tend to live in the McMansions in the outer suburbs, Aussies don't touch these suburbs and you'll find the local schools full of Poms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.