Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:53 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by DeadVim
No, we are by no means rich (and a one income family at the moment) but we do not have high material needs either.

It's all about expectations on life, if you want all the trinkets, holidays and bells and whistles then you gotta pay for it.
This is ridiculous. No one here cares about material things except bogans. No even cares about the size of your house. They do care and do judge you on your location and this is the issue.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not doubting that you might be better off in Australia than UK. But it makes no sense to say that a salary of GBP 25,000 is the equivalent of a salary of AUD $38,000. You need to adjust it by the long run historical average not the latest.
Problem with that scenario is historically Australian prices for food, energy, goods and housing used to be a lot cheaper, the whole cost of living actually.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 29th 2010 at 2:57 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What complete nonsense. Seriously, I can't be bothered to go into details but that statement is so wrong on many levels.
What she said.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
This is ridiculous. No one here cares about material things except bogans. No even cares about the size of your house. They do care and do judge you on your location and this is the issue.
I'm confused. What part of Dead's post is ridiculous? Where did he mention caring about material things? Where did he mention the size of his house? Where did he mention being judged by others on his location? What's the issue?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Another Slum, our slum, in fact ... It's not a McMansion and it's not within an hour of the CBD but it is also is not within bothering distance of anyone else
Vim, I'm so sorry to hear you are forced to live in that appalling slum. Especially with all the bushland around. It must be quite a struggle.

No one here cares about material things except bogans.
...and a lot of British expats, apparently.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

To those putting petrol as cheaper in oz (which per litre it is) consider this:

Take 2 very popular family size cars from the same company. The Mondeo is (at last) sold in Oz but very expencive and rare on the second hand market. Cost new is roughly the same as a new Falcon and both are good value second hand in their own market.

Oz Ford Falcon base model 4.0l DOHC 9.1l/100km
UK Ford Mondeo base model 2.0 TDCi 5.1/100km

City driving, same cars:
Falcon 17.8L/100km
Mondeo 7.3L/100km

That is more than double the amount of fuel for the same size car, petrol would have to go under $1 to break even.

My point is family cars in Oz will cost you just as much if not more at the pumps. I know I don't spend any less on petrol here and I only have a 1.8 Corrolla.

This is just for petrol though, nearly all other aspects of motoring are way more expensive in Oz.

Info from http://greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Home.aspx

2011 Mondeo is now down to 4.6L/100km according to the web site.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm confused. What part of Dead's post is ridiculous? Where did he mention caring about material things? Where did he mention the size of his house? Where did he mention being judged by others on his location? What's the issue?
There was so much there to question I decided I couldn't be bothered.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Vim, I'm so sorry to hear you are forced to live in that appalling slum. Especially with all the bushland around. It must be quite a struggle.
Aye, we muck by but I guess are just born 'battlers' and were never destined for the good life.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Slum, our slum, in fact ... It's not a McMansion and it's not within an hour of the CBD but it is also is not within bothering distance of anyone else
Must have saved a fortune during the build mate, what with having no windows or doors put in.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 4:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Must have saved a fortune during the build mate, what with having no windows or doors put in.
We value privacy

I can't believe the previous owners had no blinds (they face west) and a patio that wouldn't shield the dog.

I suspect they were enthusiastic herb growers judging by what the found in the shed so maybe they just didn't care about the heat ... or the whole house was dedicated to horticulture ...
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
To those putting petrol as cheaper in oz (which per litre it is) consider this:

Take 2 very popular family size cars from the same company. The Mondeo is (at last) sold in Oz but very expencive and rare on the second hand market. Cost new is roughly the same as a new Falcon and both are good value second hand in their own market.

Oz Ford Falcon base model 4.0l DOHC 9.1l/100km
UK Ford Mondeo base model 2.0 TDCi 5.1/100km

City driving, same cars:
Falcon 17.8L/100km
Mondeo 7.3L/100km

That is more than double the amount of fuel for the same size car, petrol would have to go under $1 to break even.
Which model Falcon have you used to show a 17.8l consumption ?

The official fuel comparisons for the two Fords are not much different:
  • New Ford Falcon XT Sedan 4dr SA 5sp 4.0i $34,990 Fuel Consumption Combined: 10.5 (l/100km)
  • New Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatchback 5dr SA 6sp 2.3i $34,490 Fuel Consumption Combined: 9.5 (l/100km)

I am not sure that a Falcon 4 litre would be considered the same size as a Mondeo 2 litre here. Engine size appears to count in this equation, to many people.

But if people want to keep the fuel costs down, they can always drive a similar car to the one that they had in the UK. No one in Australia forces them to buy larger cars.

How do the two best selling passenger cars in Queensland compare against the UK equivalents:
  1. Toyota Corolla
  2. Mazda 3

Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Don_Angel
City driving, same cars:
Falcon 17.8L/100km
Mondeo 7.3L/100km

Info from http://greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Home.aspx

2011 Mondeo is now down to 4.6L/100km according to the web site.
Not according to your source which has the Falcon and the Mondeo at 9.5 and 9.9, so very very close.

Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Groceries are the least of anyones concern. Property prices are hte big issue. 300-400k 4 bedroom houses in Austalia are the eqivilant of living in a Slum estate.
I have to agree there, that's the case in Perth.

People are blinded by the newness and cleanliness of the new estates (usually with all the trees mowed down) and by then it's too late when they've moved in - the locals are bogans and your kids are going to school with the ferals. In fact, it's more than likely that it's the UK kids thesedays that are causing the aggro at school.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not according to your source which has the Falcon and the Mondeo at 9.5 and 9.9, so very very close.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/images/ford-fuel.png
That 2.3 petrol Mondeo is not even available in the UK, why would you select that model for camparison? Another case of Australia getting the inefficient junk, probably not even allowed to sell it in the UK if the CO2 is too high.

I compared the TDCi. All the figures are there on that page but you have chopped them out. The 2011 figures from www.ford.co.uk

Mazda 3 and the Corolla are smaller cars, I chose a big family from the same company around the same size/price, that is the Falcon/Mondeo but feel free to compare the Auris (Europe Corolla) to the Australian Corolla if you want too. Anyone heard of Valvematic, cheesy name I admit but it's technology that's been in UK Toyotas for years, but still not made to Australia yet.

Edit to Add
my mistake should be Falcon-14.6L/100km, Mondeo-7.3/100km for city driving

Last edited by Don_Angel; Dec 29th 2010 at 6:33 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I have to agree there, that's the case in Perth.

People are blinded by the newness and cleanliness of the new estates (usually with all the trees mowed down) and by then it's too late when they've moved in - the locals are bogans and your kids are going to school with the ferals. In fact, it's more than likely that it's the UK kids thesedays that are causing the aggro at school.

So when you've been there a while and the blindness has gone, new people move in and then presumably it's you who are the bogans and your children who are the ferals?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've been called a lot of things. Can't say rich is one of them
Rich in the things that matter, Wendy - and that's all that counts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.