Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:31 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Current Date & Time 29 December 2010 10:13:59 AM
Sell Amount GBP 993.00
Buy Amount AUD 1,495.95
Our Rate GBP/AUD 1.5065 (0.6638)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was over at 1.8, that was painfull, awfull, £4 a pint, this is, lost for words.

Keith, very sad
Been watching the same rates this morning.

Thinking that we can manage into the new year on what we have and hopefully things'll improve in time for the next transfer.

But knowing my luck....
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

Where most have moved from 2 bed terrace in barnsley or a flat from Scotland for example. They now have a 4x2 property and a 4x4 on their drive where previously they would have used public transposrt to get to work.

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse
How on earth do you know that the majority are in this position? Sure some will be, as they would be wherever in the world they lived but there will be many who are not saddled with debt but living quite comfortably for them. I struggled at times to put food on the table in the UK but most certainly wasn't living beyond my means and the same has happened here, Australia is irrelevant to the problem.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That depends on how you define quality.
It doesn't matter how he defines quality, it's his perception for his and his family's life. It will be completely to anyone else's quality.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
The pricing of grocery items is near criminal. I'm amazed that they've been allowed to reach such lofty heights without huge protests from consumers
Rather than protest about supermarket prices, we tend to shop elsewhere

Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

The rentals prices don't look at all right. I am letting out my 3 bedroomed house in Greater London for £1050PM and in Canberra am renting a near identical-sized house (modest by Australian standards) for £1245PM (Sorry, it's not a London -> Sydney compare from me but I doubt there's much price difference).
The average London rent for a 3 bedroom property is $520 pw or 58% of the London average full time income.

That same percentage, based on the ACT average wage of $77,423 would mean about $864 pw on rent.

Sources:
UK Wages: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7802792.stm
UK Wage changes 2008-2010: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBas...asp?vlnk=14015
UK Rentals: http://www.rentright.co.uk/london/3_rrpi.aspx
Property Type: 3 bedroom properties and flats in London
Average Rental Prices for October 2010: £2256
Average Rental Rates for November 2010: £2248
Average Rental Prices for December 2010: £2273

Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:19 am
ABCDiamond

Steve I think it is a factor that compounds the problem when people live beyond their means.

I personally feel that Australia is one of the most expensive places to live in the world and is only going to get worse hence the massive number of people leaving the country

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...on-2009-10.pdf

87 thousand i believe

Also worth looking at http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...te-2009-10.pdf

Of that 86,277 number:
7,124 were UK Born who left Australia permanently in 2009-10
of these:
4,047 were returning to the UK
3,080 were heading somewhere else

On the other side of things, during the 2009-10 year: 28,193 migrants arrived from the UK.

Two percentages here, using those two main figures (if we also assume they are averages each year):
14% Left to return home
11% Left to go somewhere else
75% Haven't left

Back some years ago:
UK Born Migrants to Australia 2002-2003
12,508 Total settler Arrivals
3,628 Total Permanent Departures
Based on that, a total of 29% returned at some point in their lives and
71% did not leave....

There is no doubt that there are many countries where the cost of living is lower. I could have a damned good life in the Philippines on our Australian income

Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:21 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I got 2 years of bragging rights, I ain't going anywhere ... having said that I am currently being stung $650 for a new sullage pump ... nah, it's still worth it.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not doubting that you might be better off in Australia than UK. But it makes no sense to say that a salary of GBP 25,000 is the equivalent of a salary of AUD $38,000. You need to adjust it by the long run historical average not the latest.
Well in that case historic values should be applied to the cost of living items too. If you are going to use a mean figure for wage exchange then that rate should also be used for everything.

For an expat coming to Aus now, the exchange rate would be enough to scare them into thinking it is expensive, I would too. But when I came the exchange rate was 2.45 and this is the rate I use if I am comparing (which I rarely do now). Price wise I think things have gone up a little in my 5 years, some more than others but my income has gone up more or less in line with this so price comparisons are irrelevant. Australia is not for everyone and never will be. But I do agree that people coming now will struggle with the prices,

Jo

Last edited by joho; Dec 29th 2010 at 12:25 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by joho
Australia is not for everyone and never will be.

Jo
And long may it stay like that, or we would be overcrowded

Old Dec 29th 2010, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Well in that case historic values should be applied to the cost of living items too. If you are going to use a mean figure for wage exchange then that rate should also be used for everything.
Well obviously ... I didn't say otherwise
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse
If that is the case, they have nobody but themselves to blame for their predicament.

The pricing of grocery items is near criminal. I'm amazed that they've been allowed to reach such lofty heights without huge protests from consumers
There are plenty of protests from consumers, but the practical reality is that Australia grows a lot of its own produce, which will always be more expensive than importing it from a third world nation. Since Australia is not conveniently situated next door to Europe, we don't have the luxury of being able to whistle up a Polish lorry driver with a few tons of cut price vegetables from some poverty-stricken east European backwater.

The other big problem is the lack of competition. Australia's grocery market is in dire need of additional players, but for some strange reason the big chains like Tesco seem reluctant to venture any further south than Malaysia. We now have Aldi, but their penetration is negligible. Costco opened their first store in 2009, but as far as I'm aware they're still limited to Victoria. When you consider the awesome size of these multinationals, their phenomenal buying power, and their capacity to undercut the local competitors by a significant margin, it's difficult to understand why they are so reluctant to come here. Theoretically, Australia should be an ideal market for them.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Dec 29th 2010 at 1:54 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting points going on.

I moved to Australia 10 weeks ago , I agree its expensive to buy groceries , do a meal planner for the week . We eat very well and can afford a bowl of ice cream at the end.

Cars are expensive to buy I agree , but look at this to buy a 14 year old Corsa its about £3,500 . So cars hold some value unlike the UK.

House prises are high , as in the UK . But I did come from a 2 bed terraced in Barnsley and made a healthy return on the sale.

The cash is currently sat in the HSBC in the Uk whilst I decide what to do with it , bring it over and get 5% on my every day savings account in Australia or keep it in my 1% account in UK. A good point to Australia you get a decent savings rate.

I am looking at a $290,000 mortgage in Australia and this will get me 3 bed , 2Bathrooms and a drive with a double garage and utility, I could not of afford this in the UK ever , unless I moved to Grimethorpe in a new Haslam home that are currently up for sale at £100,000 and I would of paid £129,000.

If I dont use my Uk cash towards this buy and deduct the £13,000 first home owners grant the Australian government give me I will be able to afford this .

Happy to do overtime to pay for the special extras I may want , thats life.

Also the land and house package people like you to negotiate I managed to get $40,000 off and carpets and curtains and kitchen up grade.

Rentals are cheap if you look around in Australia , I pay $900 a month for a two bedded near the beach (3 mins away) sounds expensive but salaries cover this.

Life is not easy , I knew the rates were crap before I left the UK. But my house sold and didn't in 2002 when I last put it up for sale when the $ was strong.

I came with savings ' saved it to spend it '.

But in 2002 I would not have the cash sat in the bank I have now. And in 2002 I bought a flat in Sheffield that has a tenant in it , and its a long term investment.

In 2002 my good old Mum said dont buy a flat there not going to go up in value ????????? £20,000 since 2002.

You have to ride with the economy spite what country you are in , dont live beyond your means and you will be fine.

Last thing , two weeks ago I had $20 disposable cash before pay day. Me and some friends spent $50 between us (£35) and spent the evening at the beach and used the free gas BBQ the government provide. Fantastic evening with a burger and a few beers.

Barnsley will not give you this ' Dus Tha No Wat A MEEN '?. Make things happen.

Last edited by Indented Head; Dec 29th 2010 at 1:40 am. Reason: error
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That depends on how you define quality.
It does, but by any definition you care to offer, our quality of life in Australia is still vastly superior to our quality of life in the UK.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:53 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Groceries are the least of anyones concern. Property prices are hte big issue. 300-400k 4 bedroom houses in Austalia are the eqivilant of living in a Slum estate.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
Groceries are the least of anyones concern. Property prices are hte big issue. 300-400k 4 bedroom houses in Austalia are the eqivilant of living in a Slum estate.
Totally disagree , My new house will not be in a slum estate. Look at the link and see how un -slum it is. Stop been negative.

http://www.arlingtonrise.com.au/

Look at the DVD ?????.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:01 am
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

I personally feel that Australia is one of the most expensive places to live in the world and is only going to get worse hence the massive number of people leaving the country

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...on-2009-10.pdf

87 thousand i believe

That's a very poor generalisation. People leave for all sorts of reasons, and not all of them leave permanently. I left Australia in 2004, and returned in 2009.

OK, so perhaps 87,000 left in 2009-10 (though how many of those left permanently?) But 208,921 permanent immigrants arrived in the same period. This does not support your hypothesis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.