Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:32 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Sometimes I think I would like to move there but I think at the moment the country is a rip off.

Brits spend thousands getting visas, emmigrate, stay for a couple of years and struggle because of no or low paid work.

Extortionate housing and food and living costs eat away at savings.

So what if the weather is better all year round is it worth it if it is financial suicide.

After a couple of years they leave and a new platoon of immigrants come over the hill to replace them.

To me Immigration is a scam. And Australia makes millions out of it.

People need to wake up and think about the nightmare and not the dream.

Totally agree

The only things that i can find that are relatively cheaper is petrol n steak.

Sure is rip-off Aus
Old Dec 28th 2010, 8:59 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is not cheap and anyone coming here is delusional if they think it is and food is comparitively more expensive. Not sure that would mean many people quitting though....
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

Where most have moved from 2 bed terrace in barnsley or a flat from Scotland for example. They now have a 4x2 property and a 4x4 on their drive where previously they would have used public transposrt to get to work.

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse

I do not mean to be cynical I really love a lot about Australia and take my hat off to people over there really having a go.

I just think my money would go a lot further in other countries if I decide to emmigrate.

What countries do you have in mind
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

As a 55 YO FT postal worker earning like most of my workmates in excess of 65,000 Aud (currently 42,000 quid) Plus 9pct high benefits super (some Base workers are getting 70,000 K by doing plenty of OT ) I can Guarantee I would be far worse of financially of in the UK... doing the same job. As they earn around 38,000 Aud. (currently 25,000 pounds) I've checked last year when I had a silly notion about taking advantage of the comparatively and currently cheap housing market in London and trading in my fully owned Melbourne house. I doubt I Would have got the wife there anyway.

Even with the high costs here, I'm far better off. Also Far cheaper to go to the Football here... and my UK team Palace isnt that much better than MVictory at present

Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

Where most have moved from 2 bed terrace in barnsley or a flat from Scotland for example. They now have a 4x2 property and a 4x4 on their drive where previously they would have used public transposrt to get to work.

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse

I do not mean to be cynical I really love a lot about Australia and take my hat off to people over there really having a go.

I just think my money would go a lot further in other countries if I decide to emmigrate.

I don't think everyone makes their decision based upon how far money will go. I don't think my money goes as far here either because I have expensive rent here versus a low mortgage in the UK. But we have decided to pay for the experience it offers us ... we have not yet decided whether we will stay permanently or not but we will be hear for the near to medium term.

Generally though, I believe that in the long term an economy will always find a kind of equilibrium. If a country is expensive to live in then salaries etc will generally reflect that.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As a 55 YO FT postal worker earning like most of my workmates in excess of 65,000 Aud (currently 42,000 quid) Plus 9pct high benefits super (some Base workers are getting 70,000 K by doing plenty of OT ) I can Guarantee I would be far worse of financially of in the UK... doing the same job. As they earn around 38,000 Aud. (currently 25,000 pounds)
I am not doubting that you might be better off in Australia than UK. But it makes no sense to say that a salary of GBP 25,000 is the equivalent of a salary of AUD $38,000. You need to adjust it by the long run historical average not the latest.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not doubting that you might be better off in Australia than UK. But it makes no sense to say that a salary of GBP 25,000 is the equivalent of a salary of AUD $38,000. You need to adjust it by the long run historical average not the latest.
If I could get my company to pay me the same in GBP as they pay me in AUD I would be back in the UK like a shot.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Why quote Pacific Pines specifically. This is a legoland sprawl of house and land packages and if you look through the archives has been a high "mortgage stress" area for years. Easy to buy into, maybe not so easy to get out of as no one really wants to buy your house unless it is cheap.

Last edited by neil248; Dec 28th 2010 at 9:28 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If I could get my company to pay me the same in GBP as they pay me in AUD I would be back in the UK like a shot.
Why don't you ask for a transfer, but of course your pay MUST be in sterling.........
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That depends on how you define quality.
Absolutely and the results are quite subjective. Our quality of life is defined by distance my husband has to travel to work. In the UK he traveled almost 4 hours a day. Here he travels 50 minutes. He eats with the family every day. For us as a family this is huge and this situation couldn't occur anywhere else in the world at the moment. So if I have to pay a little bit more money on my grocery bill in order to get that then it isn't such a problem.

I emphasise this is our own circumstances and it will not be the case for a lot of people.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You wouldn't need as much I moved back to a slightly lower salary than I was on in Sydney and I am vastly better off in London. Similar commute times more holiday and shorter working hours than I had in Australia.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie_chen
In USA and Canada there is only 1% to 2% inflation rate.Even in this booming economy and high AUD$ value Australia have more than 2.8% inflation rate.
For anyone with a mortgage a good dose of annual inflation is a good thing as that mortgage you over extended yourself for will quickly become less and less significant.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all

Don`t forget to add the 2.5% vat increase which occurs in January in the uk
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:19 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Current Date & Time 29 December 2010 10:13:59 AM
Sell Amount GBP 993.00
Buy Amount AUD 1,495.95
Our Rate GBP/AUD 1.5065 (0.6638)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was over at 1.8, that was painfull, awfull, £4 a pint, this is, lost for words.

Keith, very sad
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nothing to stop it going down to 1.38 it's been there before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.