Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Here is a little estimate via a quick search on Google and of course open to debate.
I hope the formatting remains in tact

As you can see it swings wildly depending on item, location, etc

What's with the price of milk?

UK Oz(GBP)

House (UK/Oz) £246,387 £299,000.00
House (LDN/SYD) £333,000 £412,324.90
Ave. Rent pcm (LDN/SYD) £2,471 £1,105.00
Ford Fiesta £12,000 £15,600.00
Petrol £1.21 £0.82
Weekly Travel (LDN/SYD) £25.80 £16.25
Bread £1.20 £0.77
Milk £0.76 £1.88
32" Sony £400 £520.00

Looks like the formatting has failed - apologies.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:55 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Here is a little estimate via a quick search on Google and of course open to debate.

UK Oz(GBP)

Petrol £1.21 £0.82
Bread £1.20 £0.77
Milk £0.76 £1.88
32" Sony £400 £520.00

Ahemm cough cough,you forgot the lettuce
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sainsbury's Iceberg Lettuce is £1.00. Woolworths Iceberg Lettuce is $1.98.

On the brightside Woolworths has a 15 varieties of lettuce to choose from. Sainsbury's on the other hand has 3.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:02 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sainsbury's Iceberg Lettuce is £1.00. Woolworths Iceberg Lettuce is $1.98.

On the brightside Woolworths has a 15 varieties of lettuce to choose from. Sainsbury's on the other hand has 3.
You may carry on
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by freebo
Chap I worked with recently quit Aus after 4 years and went back to the UK, when I asked him why one of the main reasons was although he loved Sydney he found it too expensive, he was on around $200k.

He's now back in London, making about £75k and says he's finding it cheaper, and for now he thinks it was the right move.
So his £75k translates to $A115. I can only assume he is paying a mortgage or previously owned a London property for him to find London cheaper compared to doing the same in Sydney. I do think renters would still find Sydney cheaper on the salraries offered by each city

Last edited by Beoz; Dec 28th 2010 at 2:30 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

So his £75k translates to $A115. I can only assume he is paying a mortgage or previously owned a London property for him to find London cheaper compared to doing the same in Sydney. I do think renters would still find Sydney cheaper on the salraries offered by each city
No, he'd previously sold his Aus property and was renting.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

I didn't quit Oz due to the high COL, but it was a major factor in my decision not to return there from the UK and to instead seek a better lifestyle in the USA. The COL contrast is even sharper between Oz and the USA than it is with the UK and Oz.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I guess that's case solved then. No one is quitting Aus due to high cost of living?
I did 3 months ago and I know a few others in the process.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:21 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Planning on going with eyes wide open!

tbh we went back in August for a holiday and was dreading seeing how much things cost! In perspective, the UK is as bad if not worse! Petrol as already mentioned is a total rip off, interest rates about to sky again and food is an absolute joke at around £100 plus a week on items that are needed!!

Ems x
Old Dec 28th 2010, 6:54 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hmunker
To the OP how can it be a scam.We are in the information age.I,m sure someone can get together all the information they require to see if it is affordable.Cost of housing, food and how much they will get paid etc.
Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

Where most have moved from 2 bed terrace in barnsley or a flat from Scotland for example. They now have a 4x2 property and a 4x4 on their drive where previously they would have used public transposrt to get to work.

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse

I do not mean to be cynical I really love a lot about Australia and take my hat off to people over there really having a go.

I just think my money would go a lot further in other countries if I decide to emmigrate.

Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

UK Oz(GBP)

Petrol £1.21 £0.82
Bread £1.20 £0.77
Milk £0.76 £1.88
32" Sony £400 £520.00

The rentals prices don't look at all right. I am letting out my 3 bedroomed house in Greater London for £1050PM and in Canberra am renting a near identical-sized house (modest by Australian standards) for £1245PM (Sorry, it's not a London -> Sydney compare from me but I doubt there's much price difference).

Comparing the prices of milk, bread (and for Bernies sake: lettuce ) is nowhere near the full picture for a general basket of goods for which I would place the Aussie prices at nearer double the UK price.

Electrical stuff, etc: Not a huge difference noticed but then again (and from my point of view) they're not essential items - all our electrical stuff is being shipped over.

The pricing of grocery items is near criminal. I'm amazed that they've been allowed to reach such lofty heights without huge protests from consumers
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:14 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

Where most have moved from 2 bed terrace in barnsley or a flat from Scotland for example. They now have a 4x2 property and a 4x4 on their drive where previously they would have used public transposrt to get to work.

The majority of these people have been sucked into the Australian dream saddled with debt no savings ,low income and mortgaged to the hilt x 7,8,9 times. They struggle to put food on the table some times and its going to get worse

I do not mean to be cynical I really love a lot about Australia and take my hat off to people over there really having a go.

I just think my money would go a lot further in other countries if I decide to emmigrate.

How do you explain the people who don't fall into your neat generalisation of struggling Australian migrants, those who are better off now than they were in the UK - such as many of the posters who frequent this forum ?

I am not suggesting for a moment that Australia is cheap. The high and increasing cost of living is a topic which has risen rapidly in all western nations, Australia and the UK included, impacted by a tremendous amount of factors both regionally and globally.

If a persons dream is to live cheaply in a modern westernised English speaking country with first world public services and well paid employment for all, it's the dream that needs adjusting or acceptance that it is exactly that - a dream.

What has changed considerably in respect to the UK/AU expat situation in the last few years is the huge equity which many people arrived with thanks to the UK house sales boom and high exchange rates. Now its a tough UK housing market and sterling is on its arse for the considerable future, it makes the migration prospect less attractive for most.

This is not the fault of the high costs of Australian living, rather than the global downturn making Australia more expensive in a global context. It's all relative.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lumpommer;9064355]Well you only have to traverse Pac Pines a Gold Coast suburb home to many British Expats.

QUOTE]

sorry you`ve lost me now

why is its australias fault that the people you mention above are living beyound their means, surley this happens everwhere i knew quite a few bmw / big house people in manchester who struggled to buy a pint but had all the trimmings of success, and i dont recall any of the real estate agents or car salemen ive ever met holding a gun to my head and saying buy?

surly this is just down to people wanting to impress regardless of where they may reside ?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
For us, the cost of living in Australia is higher than the UK, but the quality of life is vastly superior. It's not a difficult choice.
That depends on how you define quality.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 7:43 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

Steve I think it is a factor that compounds the problem when people live beyond their means.

I personally feel that Australia is one of the most expensive places to live in the world and is only going to get worse hence the massive number of people leaving the country

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...on-2009-10.pdf

87 thousand i believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.