Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Think if you want to make it here everyone has to work. So while 65k is not a lot here if 2 people are earning it in 1 household you'll be fine.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think you'll find that over the years the historical exchange rate balances out around 2 dollars = 1 Pound... the largest anomaly was when it was +2.40 to 1 pound. That was historically unprecedented... whereas we have been close to the current situation before back in 1973.
Ask your daughter if she's better off here. I doubt it...
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Ask your daughter if she's better off here. I doubt it...
Do a search. I think that you will find that she is.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Do a search. I think that you will find that she is.
from experience, i'd much rather live on 30k in london than 65k in either melbourne or sydney.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
from experience, i'd much rather live on 30k in london than 65k in either melbourne or sydney.
I'm happy for you

Each to their own
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
Me too, and at 26 I'd rather be seeing Europe, partying it up, and doing all the fun stuff 26 years olds should be doing on 30k. On all accounts she'd be better off in the UK.

If she was 36 with 10 years of experience under her belt I wonder what she'd be earning in both places? At the present time I'd hazzard a guess she could be well better off in Oz, with the fact that Oz is offering pay rises, has people moving between jobs and a skills shortage. Not so in the UK right now.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
the fact that Oz is offering pay rises, has people moving between jobs and a skills shortage. Not so in the UK right now.
Depends on your job in the UK.

Plenty of jobs and pay rises for the right people
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be the 24 millionth groundhog day.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It has to be the 24 millionth groundhog day.
...that happens on every thread on here....why aren't you poking your nose into them?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Me too, and at 26 I'd rather be seeing Europe, partying it up, and doing all the fun stuff 26 years olds should be doing on 30k. On all accounts she'd be better off in the UK.

If she was 36 with 10 years of experience under her belt I wonder what she'd be earning in both places? At the present time I'd hazzard a guess she could be well better off in Oz, with the fact that Oz is offering pay rises, has people moving between jobs and a skills shortage. Not so in the UK right now.
Sounds like me. At 25/26 I was earning a pauper's 30k and was based in London and then Europe so got a lot out of my system. In Europe I also realised huge loadings! So It was only when I was in the UK that the salary was low- too low. All too complicated to tell all.

Once I bought a cheap flat, 30k was not so great..by moving jobs it was a different story..

Originally Posted by Grayling

Depends sometimes on what you do, Mr G, I'd hazard- or how easy to change jobs /sector?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

...that happens on every thread on here....why aren't you poking your nose into them?
'Poking my nose in' really? 'Every thread'? Hardly. Quite a few granted. I do believe I'm allowed to post where and when I like, saying, within reason, what I want. Much like your good self. I actually typed 'god' then, good job I noticed before submitting.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend you change your name to Au Contraire - with a rolling eyes Avatar
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by paulry
I recommend you change your name to Au Contraire - with a rolling eyes Avatar
Only telling it as I see it.

Plenty of people happy to point out how bad the UK is.

Well it is not, and was not, for the majority of people.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Only telling it as I see it.

Plenty of people happy to point out how bad the UK is.

Well it is not, and was not, for the majority of people.
I agree that it was not. But now its a mess. Sad but true.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by paulry
But now its a mess. Sad but true.
Not according to members of my family....they have never been better off.

Life isn't exactly rosy for a lot of people here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.