Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I guess it's all down from where you came from in the UK, people you mixed with, what your expectations and experiences in life are. Personally, Clarkson for me would be going backwards but I can understand that some people think it's great.
Exactly, if you were a stuck up snob in the UK, you're not going to change over here
Old Dec 30th 2010, 3:57 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
lets get the popcorn out
In my house, one does not have popcorn. We have caviar.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
In my house, one does not have popcorn. We have caviar.
Shouldn't that be 'one has caviar'

(sorry, that's my rich side coming out! )
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:01 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, first off I don't come from UK. You have no idea what people I mix with or what my expecations or experience in life are. What I know of you though is that you are judgemental about a place and people you have no first hand knowledge of simply because of rumour.

Ignore pomtastic. He's bitter 'cos he jumped out of the property ladder some years back and now can't afford the beachside 4x2 that he feels he deserves. He can't bear anyone living outside of his negative world.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Ignore pomtastic. He's bitter 'cos he jumped out of the property ladder some years back and now can't afford the beachside 4x2 that he feels he deserves. He can't bear anyone living outside of his negative world.
Just wondering about a poster from early 2005 on a property forum:

06-03-2005
Will not be buying in the Perth area until the median house price for a 4x2 comes in at 195K from its current 250K

12-03-2005
"property is no longer affordable for the average first time buyer"

15-03-2005
Property prices are no longer rising in Perth, will only cool further as rate rises bite.
My advise? sell before its too late.

This was a good one though....
22-03-2005
Don't be misled by overly optimistic or pessimistic opinions on any investement and ignore knockers who can't support their statements.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19698
The thread was called "The great house price crash 2005"

I recall another in 2004 who sold up in Brisbane, just before the 40% price drop that we were about to have... ooops...

Old Dec 30th 2010, 6:53 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Mine is along those lines as well. Two teenage/early 20's sons, each with a bedroom set-up that would give a gaming arcade a run for its money.
Four TV's, two laptops, two desktops, two fridges, PS3, xBox360.....well you get the idea
OMG.

Am I married to you (and you've just forgotten our third son, the Wii, the other laptop and the other three desktops)?

I'm considering setting up some sort of hamster wheel scenario attached to EldestChild's bottom jaw - I'd be quids in.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:01 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
OMG.

Am I married to you (and you've just forgotten our third son, the Wii, the other laptop and the other three desktops)?

I'm considering setting up some sort of hamster wheel scenario attached to EldestChild's bottom jaw - I'd be quids in.
Third son...... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghh

We just sold the Wii !! and, if pushed, I could come up with another laptop and another desktop as well !
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
This comparison is just completely pointless!

It's fun converting our Aus salaries into pounds these days, sure. But if it was $3 (the opposite extreme to today's EXTREME exchange rate) to a pound would you be saying that your London compatriots were better paid than you despite the fact it made no difference to your financial status here in Aus?

I noticed in another thread recently when comparing beer prices you mentioned $2.5 to a pound as a comparison...and as you said it's all about the exchange rate...which really means nothing when you live and work in a country and earn its currency.
Got to admit you were correct. I worked out a per minute pay rate based on both wages I quoted. Calculated the two things I thought of first... shows my priorities. So based on 21pence per minute for the UK worker and 52 cents per minute for here. A Pint took just over 14 minutes to earn in the UK @ 3 quid a pint.... whereas here A pint took 15 minutes to earn in Aus based @ 8 dollars a Pint. Did the same for a meal out at 9 quid in the UK and 23 dollars here.... it came out to 45 in the UK mins and 42 mins here. I realise prices vary considerably around both Countries so I based on what was available in the areas I personally frequented in the UK v here.

So for the two basic and absolute necessities in life... A Pint and a Meal out it works out about the same price.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Got to admit you were correct. I worked out a per minute pay rate based on both wages I quoted. Calculated the two things I thought of first... shows my priorities. So based on 21pence per minute for the UK worker and 52 cents per minute for here. A Pint took just over 14 minutes to earn in the UK @ 3 quid a pint.... whereas here A pint took 15 minutes to earn in Aus based @ 8 dollars a Pint. Did the same for a meal out at 9 quid in the UK and 23 dollars here.... it came out to 45 in the UK mins and 42 mins here. I realise prices vary considerably around both Countries so I based on what was available in the areas I personally frequented in the UK v here.

So for the two basic and absolute necessities in life... A Pint and a Meal out it works out about the same price.
Awesome comparison .....
Old Dec 30th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Excellent choice for comparison,but 14 minutes to earn a lovely refreshing pint on London Pride compared to 15 mins for aussie knatspiss,I reckon you've lost out on the deal
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

A quick question:

Several times I've heard it said that regardless of the exchange rate that we are getting, Aus prices in the shops are still kind of locked onto the previously £1 = $2.50 value. Does this also mean that (as a rule of thumb) if you were earning say £50k PA in blighty then a fair "guestimate" Aus salary expectation would be around $125k PA?

Thanks

(I'm filling out online job application forms right now and getting a bit stuck n required salary question).
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:05 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you can do that. You'd be far better finding out the local going rate from, e.g., the Hays Survey.

What's your field?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I don't think you can do that. You'd be far better finding out the local going rate from, e.g., the Hays Survey.

What's your field?
Thanks, I'll have a look at Hays. I was in IT, job title: Analyst Programmer.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Thanks, I'll have a look at Hays. I was in IT, job title: Analyst Programmer.
You'll definitely find A/P salaries for ACT on the Hays survey. Most people seem to find it pretty accurate.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:43 am
Banned

That's very interesting reading. It also provides a feel for how the labour market is likely to change in the next 12 months.

...A bit fed up that my estimated salary is $20k less PA than it is in Sydney but for the moment just findng a job woud be good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.