Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well I passed a local greengrocer tonight and they were marked as on 'special' at $13.99!
That is mad! It's been a couple of months since any of us have eaten a banana. Wifey wants us to go to some place on the other side of the ACT to get some for $7.50 a kilo. But they've seen better days and are bruised - in the UK we wouldn't pause to pick them up - much less pay £5 a kilo for them.

Thinking of going down the local shop and buying a fine and pristine example of the $15 a kilo ones, writing her name on it in gold letters, wrapping it up and giving it to her as a "Congratulations, you've got a job!" present. I think she would like that.

...Bizarre is often an understatement here
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
On the plus side there's probably less of them being extracted in A & E
I like the way that you always see an upside to things
Old Jun 17th 2011, 6:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Yeah, but the ones that are being extracted are being cut up and shared round at tea break, waste not want not.
Urhhh. I've just been cured of my banana cravings
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience back in the UK last year most food items whether they were convenience food or fresh food were cheaper, often significantly so. The quality also looked to be higher. My brother has just literaqlly returned from 4 weeks in England and I was speaking to hima bout this last week, he echoed my findings. He was amazed at the prices and quality, he especially loved the fantastic pub grub. He goes back often twice a year and sees things first hand rather than via a shopping website.
I realise that those people who love it here and have no intention of leaving prefer to see things a certain way but looking at the evidence Australia has become a very expensive place to live especially for food, housing, utilities etc. Petrol is cheap(er) but dont forget to add on the cost of rego/CTP.
If you love it here dont worry about it being more expensive as it is irrelevant.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:07 pm
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
From my experience back in the UK last year most food items whether they were convenience food or fresh food were cheaper, often significantly so. The quality also looked to be higher. My brother has just literaqlly returned from 4 weeks in England and I was speaking to hima bout this last week, he echoed my findings. He was amazed at the prices and quality, he especially loved the fantastic pub grub. He goes back often twice a year and sees things first hand rather than via a shopping website.
I realise that those people who love it here and have no intention of leaving prefer to see things a certain way but looking at the evidence Australia has become a very expensive place to live especially for food, housing, utilities etc. Petrol is cheap(er) but dont forget to add on the cost of rego/CTP.
If you love it here dont worry about it being more expensive as it is irrelevant.
G'day chris! Howyagoin?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:16 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

G'day chris! Howyagoin?
Morning Dudette. How are you going?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Overall COL is roughly similar with Australia slightly more expensive
Old Jun 18th 2011, 12:14 am

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Morning Dudette. How are you going?
I'm good. really good thanks!

Well, apart from the fact that my life thus far has been one long dull let down, my cats got herpes (not from me), my kids hate me, my wife has just left me (but didn't take the kids), I'm terminally bored and depressed, and I've got a banana ($13.99 a kilo, on special at iga) stuck up my arse, and don't want to ask A+E to pull it out, cos last time they wouldn't give it back.

Yourself?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 1:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm good thanks, how's things with you ? Cold enough for you

G'day chris! Howyagoin?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to see it that some things cost more - alot more in some instances - but do not distract from my life here.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:58 am

I'm good thanks, how's things with you ? Cold enough for you
No it's bloody awesome mate! Why? Isn't it awesome where you are?
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:27 am
Banned

It's fairly awesome here, well a bit awesome, mostly around the edges and a bit just up there is pretty awesome. I'm glad to hear that my old stomping ground is awesome, that must have happened after we left. I hope there is no link between the 2.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:57 am

It's fairly awesome here, well a bit awesome, mostly around the edges and a bit just up there is pretty awesome. I'm glad to hear that my old stomping ground is awesome, that must have happened after we left. I hope there is no link between the 2.
No mate. It's awesome cos it's Australia!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:01 am
Banned

No mate, it's awesome cus it's Straya.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:02 am

No mate, it's awesome cus it's Straya.
Are you takin the piss now mate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.