Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by northernbird
I also looked on Tesco website and chicken breasts are 9.26 GBP per kilo Did a few other searches and my general opinion is that fresh produce in some instances is as expensive in the UK. Where the UK is cheaper is processed stuff, convenience foods, bread and toiletries. If you have a trolley full of ready meals, biscuits, crisps then for sure you will be paying heaps more for less variety in Australia.
Vegetables and unprocessed food is also far more expensive here
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Vegetables and unprocessed food is also far more expensive here
Not on some of the items I looked at compared to what I pay here. I certainly don't pay the equivalent of 9.26 per kilo for chicken breast no any of the prices on meat quoted earlier in the thread. On the whole I reckon my shopping would be marginally more expensive here but not massively, based on my shopping habits.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How is the cost of a car in the UK relevant to my cost of living here?
It's the cost of the car in Aus that is relevant, but I guess you already new that and were just trying to be clever.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Not on some of the items I looked at compared to what I pay here. I certainly don't pay the equivalent of 9.26 per kilo for chicken breast no any of the prices on meat quoted earlier in the thread. On the whole I reckon my shopping would be marginally more expensive here but not massively, based on my shopping habits.
Well I have recently been grocery shopping in England and was amazed at how much cheaper it is there.....and I don't buy processed food
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Indeed. The only cost comparison I make now is converting my wages back into pounds and thinking, thanks to the current exchange rate, "I'm on ****ing HOW much !!?!?!?!"
Three times more, three times more he says as he stares into his sweaty face in the mirror.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Not much. I'm over in the UK right now and as far as I can see it's only bananas and beer that are cheaper, houses, gas, electricity and just about everything else are on the rise again. Good news though, seems like the economy is heading in the right direction and everyone is not quite so miserable any more.
Houses on the rise? - don't think so buddy
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:37 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well I have recently been grocery shopping in England and was amazed at how much cheaper it is there.....and I don't buy processed food
I did say on MY shopping habits. Not yours. When I was back last year I found some things more expensive and some things cheaper. On the whole on MY shopping I found it marginally more expensive here in Australia.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:38 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Always Ultra Giga Packs Night Wing 28 - 4 quid on the Tesco site.

I looked it up because it's about as relevant to me as anything else currently on sale in the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Provide proof. I have sold a few cars in Australia and never made money on them, despite the retoric that 2nd hand cars hold value.
If you have made money, help BE people out by advising which advertising forums you have used and how long it took to sell the cars.
Yes please do
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Provide proof. I have sold a few cars in Australia and never made money on them, despite the retoric that 2nd hand cars hold value.
If you have made money, help BE people out by advising which advertising forums you have used and how long it took to sell the cars.
Who the f**k are you?

You'll have to take my word for it scotch. If we had to provide 'proof' for everything we claim on BE, we would be having a merry old time.

Anyway, you didn't say the magic word.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 14th 2011 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Houses on the rise? - don't think so buddy
London is but very slowly and if you forget inflation. If you include that they are dropping.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whole chickens are quite cheap here
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isgraham
London is but very slowly and if you forget inflation. If you include that they are dropping.
Yeah true
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Who the f**k are you?

You'll have to take my word for it scotch. If we had to provide 'proof' for everything we claim on BE, we would be having a merry old time.

Anyway, you didn't say the magic word.
Did you ship them back to SA and sell them to the locals to make a profit?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Did you ship them back to SA and sell them to the locals to make a profit?
What do you mean 'them'? If you have read my post, you will see that I wrote 'a car'.

Do keep up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.