Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:47 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Ha ha. I know people who have bought in Clarkson, Perth. Unluckily, they locked in their mortgage a couple of years ago and are paying $800 a week to service their mortgage. $800 a week to live in Clarkson!!!!, just so they can say they *own* a property. The kids go to the local school - say no more. These people could rent a $500 *nice* house in an alright suburb AND send their kids to a private school AND have money left over.

I'd know what my priorities would be. **** me, $800 a week in Clarkson!!! Trouble is, interest rates could soon be heading back that way to the pre GFC crash levels because of our boom.
That's one of the worst things I've heard. If I was paying $800 a week to live in Clarkson I would probably kill myself. Clarkson is one of the worst suburbs in Australia.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No it was not Mark whatsit. Who?

And it was not a property investment seminar, it was an internal management offsite for my organisation, which is nothing to do with property and the speech was not about property either.

I don't want to say what business the speaker was in just in case anybody guesses who he was.
Fair enough. You'll have to get used to the snake oil salesmen in Aus though - it's in their bones, boom, bust, gold rush, Gorgon and such, nothing just goes along steadily, always has to be a 'boom' factor here, it's in their pioneering blood. LOL.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:48 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

BTW 4 American families have moved into a Street in City Beach where my parents live this year! Why is it that they are aware about the good locations in Perth lol
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:49 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brummy
you know were a strange ol bunch us travellers.i remember reading on here once about rose tinted glasses..yes i agree i was one of those none listening inexperienced optimistic poms that would not listen to seasoned poms...but..

i still believe that these shores are for me and one day i will stumble upon my pot of gold....

you stick at it son,lifes what you make it..and lets face it those film star looks aint let yer down so far?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
BTW 4 American families have moved into a Street in City Beach where my parents live this year! Why is it that they are aware about the good locations in Perth lol
And Chevron are paying the tab!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

you stick at it son,lifes what you make it..and lets face it those film star looks aint let yer down so far?
I thought I recognised you!!! Wasn't you in them Lassie fillums?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:55 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I thought I recognised you!!! Wasn't you in them Lassie fillums?
you know strange these forums aint they,you just like some people dont ya...pleased to meet you...ere..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

I do wonder if the Aussie Tourist Industry did in fact subsidise these TV programmes to sell Aus?
Of course not. What a bizarre suggestion.

But if they had, I reckon they would have got better value for money than the British Tourism Board did from Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the worst things I've heard. If I was paying $800 a week to live in Clarkson I would probably kill myself. Clarkson is one of the worst suburbs in Australia.
People are doing exactly this though! Living ANYWHERE just because renting is seen as a failure in life. They are also going without many basics in life because owning a house is a sign of success even in a dodgy suburb. Nothing wrong with dodgy suburbs but when it takes two full time skilled wage earners to get there, then something is wrong!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, and they all **** off with their booty of cash once they are done and dusted. No loyalty here, it's a cash grab and run for many because Perth is basically shite. Seen too many people come and go over the last 8 years - they follow the cashola.

I'm sure the Yanks will save as much as they can and when their contract is over they take a bucketload back to US where they can buy half a dozen houses. the Yanks must come here and laugh at local prices, seen that, been there, worn the t shirt.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What state are you in? No way would you get a 2 bedder for $900 3 minutes away from the beach, around these parts (Sydney).
Hi I am in Indented Head near Geelong and I pay $900 a month .
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

But if they had, I reckon they would have got better value for money than the British Tourism Board did from Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale.
Err, actually not. Can't disclose my source but the Relocation Australia programmes are partially funded by Aussie Government/Tourist industry.

Jeez - look how they rolled out the red carpet for Oprah. Although I'm saddened how Paul Hogan was treated by the ATO considering what he done for Aussie tourism.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Err, actually not. Can't disclose my source but the Relocation Australia programmes are partially funded by Aussie Government/Tourist industry.

Jeez - look how they rolled out the red carpet for Oprah. Although I'm saddened how Paul Hogan was treated by the ATO considering what he done for Aussie tourism.
They rolled out several million $'s for Oprah, wonder if they'll see the benefit?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:10 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

NOBODY bags Corrie and lives to tell the tale in my book!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:10 am
Home Sweet Home

you know strange these forums aint they,you just like some people dont ya...pleased to meet you...ere..

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
'Ello me old Brummy mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.