Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:30 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I reckon the main reason any would go back now is the exchange rate.

We were discussing over chrissy lunch if cousin sold his South Yarra townhouse for the mill he could go to UK with 650 GBP ( based on that days exchange rate ) . Even in SE england, thats more than a 2 bed townhouse with windows that fall out when you open them
I agree the exchange rate from Aus to UK is the best it's ever been and likely to be but when you work out the cost of the move back then im not convinced of the benefits especially if you have to find work again. Once back in UK the COL is swings and roundabouts.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

As a newcomer here the high prices are certainly shocking. But looking at the broader picture of what the UK is going through right now and is set to go through for several years while here we have mostly better weather, a more positive long term outlook, brighter futures for the kids, etc I would have to say that I'm glad to be in Aus.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not thinking of leaving ever. Loving every second of living here and always will.

You heard the saying, don't like it? then leave

And just been back to the UK, it's crap there. If I never see the place again it'll be too soon (IMO of course )
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who is just about to move from London to Sydney, and despite the price of a beer being £5, how can someone pass up the opportunity to earn the Aussie dollar right now. When I first moved to London 13 or 14 years ago, the cost of rent and food was hard to stomach but my salary was huge compared to what it was up North. I could save so much more on that salary than I could back in the north of the UK despite paying more for living costs.

My partner and I have easliy found jobs in Oz via telephone interviews and video conferences from London and I have a 2.6 x £ to $ salary increase, my partner a 2.9. With the exchange rate at 1.55 and interests rates in Oz at approx 5%, we have the opportunity to be creative with savings either via currency exchange or bank accounts far better than we would earning pounds in the UK.

.... and that £5 pint is a life choice, I can choose not to drink beer if I want to .... well maybe not.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:00 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
As a newcomer here the high prices are certainly shocking. But looking at the broader picture of what the UK is going through right now and is set to go through for several years while here we have mostly better weather, a more positive long term outlook, brighter futures for the kids, etc I would have to say that I'm glad to be in Aus.

the uk is in for many more gloomy years ahead.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:31 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
As someone who is just about to move from London to Sydney, and despite the price of a beer being £5, how can someone pass up the opportunity to earn the Aussie dollar right now. When I first moved to London 13 or 14 years ago, the cost of rent and food was hard to stomach but my salary was huge compared to what it was up North. I could save so much more on that salary than I could back in the north of the UK despite paying more for living costs.

My partner and I have easliy found jobs in Oz via telephone interviews and video conferences from London and I have a 2.6 x £ to $ salary increase, my partner a 2.9. With the exchange rate at 1.55 and interests rates in Oz at approx 5%, we have the opportunity to be creative with savings either via currency exchange or bank accounts far better than we would earning pounds in the UK.

.... and that £5 pint is a life choice, I can choose not to drink beer if I want to .... well maybe not.
You were making so much sense there,then blew it on the last 2 lines
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
You were making so much sense there,then blew it on the last 2 lines
What are the laws on home brew?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:40 am
ABCDiamond

It is almost compulsory

Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you are growing some herb as well it is fine.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:48 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

In my home, I AM THE LAW
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess that's case solved then. No one is quitting Aus due to high cost of living?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Chap I worked with recently quit Aus after 4 years and went back to the UK, when I asked him why one of the main reasons was although he loved Sydney he found it too expensive, he was on around $200k.

He's now back in London, making about £75k and says he's finding it cheaper, and for now he thinks it was the right move.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

For us, the cost of living in Australia is higher than the UK, but the quality of life is vastly superior. It's not a difficult choice.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP how can it be a scam.We are in the information age.I,m sure someone can get together all the information they require to see if it is affordable.Cost of housing, food and how much they will get paid etc.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmunker
To the OP how can it be a scam.We are in the information age.I,m sure someone can get together all the information they require to see if it is affordable.Cost of housing, food and how much they will get paid etc.
Indeed. Thousands of posts on here and other forums just for starters talking about costs and standards of living

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.