Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Perth?

Anyone from Perth?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Nicks missus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from Perth?

Hi, wondered if anyone was from Perth as i wanted to get an idea as to what the place was like to visit or even live!
Oz is my dream and am planning a visit soon..

From pics Perth looks very nice.

Anyone from there please?

thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone from Perth?

Hi, I'm in Perth. What would you like to know? I'm not sure if I'll be much help because unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to visit other parts of Australia yet, so I can only tell you what it's like here and can't compare to other places. But I'll certainly try to answer any questions

Sally.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

In a nutshell, my personal view which will differ from others ......

Perth is clean, spacious and great for bringing up kids. I haven't lived in the Eastern States but people who have say Perth is best for families. It's perfect if you love water, boating, fishing, camping, surfing, etc. Weather is good, a bit hot a few days a year when it gets over 35, but overall nice. Plenty of green parkland and spaces along with some of the best beaches in the world, clean white powdery sand in places and clear water.

If you want culture, stimulation, dining out, bars, clubs, entertainment, shopping, then forget it, you'll get bored. If you like the quiet outdoors life then you'll love it here.

The remoteness of Perth is a probelm for me, although a plus for others. Once you are here, it's very expensive to travel anywhere, although with the GFC plenty travel bargains of late but way more expensive than a trip to Europe because of the distances needed to travel.

You'll need a big wad of money to bring over or have a high paying job to afford the cost of living here, housing is costly, London prices right now with the exchange rate.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

halfcamoflauge is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with everything you have said, in fact i couldn't of said it any better. We have actually left perth now and are back in england but when we do return we will be moving to melbourne as there is so much more to do and cheaper to travel anywhere, perth is so expensive.
Good luck with the visit anyway.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Perth now for 2.5 years and it's fabulous. We have no kids, i.e. it's just the two of us and the cat.

Loads to do and the weather is fabulous. This weekend we've had the worst storms this year - severe weather warning. But it was 19 degrees and we went to lunch at Hillarys, had our lunch sitting outside. Lots of people out doing the same thing. Right this second it's raining but in 10 minutes the sun will be out again .

All the people that enjoy slagging off Perth will now join this thread. So, I won't look in again. But feel free to send me a PM if you want to ask anything (but I currently only log in on Sundays - too busy during the week with work).
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

We love Perth too, been here for nearly 2 years. Love sun, got kids so outdoors, made friends, always got something on...agree surprised a cost of travelling anywhere as far away so bear that in mind. We are near Freo and often out for cheap meals (we love Freo, I know many don't) Before we came people on here really helped us with info but bottom line is you don't know tillyou try...we have made the best move ever, still can't believe it sometime..but...cost of living is expensive...can't afford a house which is stressful at the moment...getting better for shopping and things to do, but still relatively expensive/ limited...but we love it :0)