Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone 'over' the long wait on bridging visa with new changes?

Anyone 'over' the long wait on bridging visa with new changes?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 9:35 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone 'over' the long wait on bridging visa with new changes?

Hello all again,
Right I am so over the new wait that im doing for my 487 visa, with the new changes that have taken place and pushed us down to the bottom of the list.
I am almost tempted to get a job in the mines so i can get sponsored whilst i wait for the 2012 applications to be approved. It has been 10 month so far and not even a word from C/O yet asking for medicals. So my money is earning them a nice interest rate too.
Ohhh sorry just blowing steam, but seriously think i will meet a ozzie man, get married and have kids before my visa is approved, and even then... once it is approved I still have to live regional and work here in the middle of nowhere for another 2 years, so that will have been 4.5 years in desert ( Kalgoorlie) for a permanent visa.
I really know why people try everything to dodge the system. I'm too honest.
Very frustrated.
Hah ha sorry i'm off the bandwagon now.

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone 'over' the long wait on bridging visa with new changes?

Not really an Immi thread so moved you to the Barbie.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missapps
Hello all again,
Right I am so over the new wait that im doing for my 487 visa, with the new changes that have taken place and pushed us down to the bottom of the list.
I am almost tempted to get a job in the mines so i can get sponsored whilst i wait for the 2012 applications to be approved. It has been 10 month so far and not even a word from C/O yet asking for medicals. So my money is earning them a nice interest rate too.
Ohhh sorry just blowing steam, but seriously think i will meet a ozzie man, get married and have kids before my visa is approved, and even then... once it is approved I still have to live regional and work here in the middle of nowhere for another 2 years, so that will have been 4.5 years in desert ( Kalgoorlie) for a permanent visa.
I really know why people try everything to dodge the system. I'm too honest.
Very frustrated.
Hah ha sorry i'm off the bandwagon now.

If you met and married an Aussie man and applied for a spouse visa you could live wherever you wanted.........
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Chezza81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura

10 months, wow! I find myself in a similar situation to you were with regards to getting a visa to stay in WA to teach. I'm planning on applying for a 487 Visa, I hadn't realised the processing times were so long! Did you have your sponsorship in place when you applied? I had to wait for my skills assessment to arrive and when it did WA state Migration had closed it's online applications. So still waiting and now starting to stress it won't be through before my WHV expires at the end of October.

I don't know about you but feel like I've been jumping through hoops for months now!

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!

Cheryl

PS Did you use a migration agent or complete your application etc yourself?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:00 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

Hi Cheryl,

Didnt think there was anyone in my situation out there!!!
No sponsorship, or i wouldnt be applying for a 487, you dont need sponsorship, thats why i went down the 487 route, you can then teach in public schools via the placement request system they have here.
Yeah when i applied in September 09, the processing times were 5 months, so i would already be in middle of the 2 years provisional 487 requirements to work regional, to then apply for the 887 to get residency.
BUt 10 days after i applied, they changed the rules and now its a 2 year wait to get the 487, then 2 years when it arrives cos the other 2 years you do on a bridging visa does not count so you have to start the two years WHEN the visa arrives and so I will be here rural for another 3 years or so yet. it's killing me being a city girl and being so far away from the beach. Make sure you are prepared for that, cos its hard being so rural.
What are you actually stressing about? your skills assessment coming through? Or being able to apply for the 487? confused.

Oh maybe in time to apply without the skills assessment? they come through pretty quickly def will be here before october dont worry thats ages away.

no i didnt go through agent- too expensive and i have been researching this expats site for years so pretty prepared and had been to see two agents just for advice and they said i didnt need them cos i had all the stuff.
Maybe just pay for one hour session to get them to go through all your paperwork when you have it all ready to send off.
laura