Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland immigrating to Oz?

Thanks Jen, will do! x
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Hi all

Anyone had the pleasure of trying to ship a pet from Northern Ireland??

O M G where do you start! First of all there arent that many companys who ship from NI, have found one from Dublin. Our vet said injections and blood tests £600 plus the woman is off her head!

More stressful than the immigration process
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:16 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajmonty
Hi all

Anyone had the pleasure of trying to ship a pet from Northern Ireland??

O M G where do you start! First of all there arent that many companys who ship from NI, have found one from Dublin. Our vet said injections and blood tests £600 plus the woman is off her head!

More stressful than the immigration process
Sorry, no, though I've never come across someone whose had trouble shipping their pet from NI hmmm...

Totally off topic, but I'm leaving Oz for NI tomorrow for my wee holiday, will be arriving in Belfast on Sunday morning! HOW EXCITED AM I!?!??!!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Sorry, no, though I've never come across someone whose had trouble shipping their pet from NI hmmm...

Totally off topic, but I'm leaving Oz for NI tomorrow for my wee holiday, will be arriving in Belfast on Sunday morning! HOW EXCITED AM I!?!??!!
Hi Jen

Hope you have a good trip, weathers not too bad either!
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jen

Hope you have a good trip, weathers not too bad either!
Cool, thanks xo
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:03 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
Hi Just thought I'd send a wee post to your thread, we're from N'Abbey and lived in Perth for over 4 years, been back now for 2 years and seriously thinking of heading out again, for the work more than anything (and maybe the sunshine & beaches too! lol)
Shaz x
We are from Templepatrick/ Glengormley . . been living in Brissie 18mths, now considering a move to Perth.

Nothing prepares you for the long distance troubles, it isnt easy to deal with (I know)

I'll be interested to have a good read at this thread. Anyone PM me if you want advice!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972
We are from Templepatrick/ Glengormley . . been living in Brissie 18mths, now considering a move to Perth.

Nothing prepares you for the long distance troubles, it isnt easy to deal with (I know)

I'll be interested to have a good read at this thread. Anyone PM me if you want advice!
Hi Hoolio

I bet 18mths has flown by? Any advise you can give will be welcome, anything you may have done differently?

Andrea
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:22 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Hi Hoolio

I bet 18mths has flown by? Any advise you can give will be welcome, anything you may have done differently?

Andrea
Hi Andrea, oh yeah lots of stuff I'd try differently . . but the outcome would probably be somewhat the same lol. Yes its flown by, we've also added a ozzy born son to the mix. We have had a blast and also ups n downs. It still feels like an extended holiday. We just met up at a goldcoast parklands yesterday with my wifes school chum, she hadn't seen in +16yrs. (they actually live down in NSW, she left Belfast 10yrs ago and married a local) and it was a really great day.

Anything in particular? advice wise?

Most important thing would be to try and have realistic expectations.
Like not to put too much pressure on yourself to get sorted here, eg new friends, new permanent jobs, new house in the right area, etc It takes time to suss out and fit in.
Australia in many ways has obvious similarity to the UK . . BUT is also very different, lol

I've been in Melbourne 5 times in 18mths for work trips, upto 4 days - I can imagine it might be easier to settle into, as its milder and more similar to the UK climate (but better). Its a big place though, and I imagine job and house location will be critical to save on a crazy commute. (I spend allot of time in traffic while in Melbourne.) It does have a nice vibe and I do like the city centre and Asian restaurants which are in abundant. The longer summer days are great for drinking beer as the temperature gets down to high teens. We nearly moved to Melbourne originally, but I wanted a change in career and knew if I went to Melb I'd end up doing a very similar job. (as it would have paid very well)
I have some friends from Norn Iron that have been in Melb for a few years and just bought a house last year.

For short term accommodation I'd consider self contained unit close to the city and public transport, for 8 weeks+. This will take pressure off buying a car immediately and also allow time for your furniture to be late and allow you to find maybe a job and or house.

The big thing I found once arriving, is that requirements and expectations kept changing. Moving rentals is a pain, but we have been in 3 so far, and have only signed 6mths leases, to try and get the right spot.

Anything specific, let me know and good luck.
1 Life and 1 adventure, enjoy it

Last edited by Hoolio1972; Mar 10th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi Hoolio

Sounds like an adventure! Would agree with being realistic, we first started the process 3 years ago, so much has changed, back then I had high expectations but with the fall in house prices here and the rise in Melbourne, its clear that we have had to adjust expectations, less equity!

I have a brother and sister in Melbourne, they have both been there 20yrs+ so we will stay a few weeks with my sister and few with my brother but as there are four of us and a dog, i would like a rental asap. Have heard it can be difficult to get a rental with a dog?

Commute in Melbourne can be a nightmare, we are so spoilt here, I live 10mins away from work, my hubby 15mins away. Depends where my hubby gets a job and our girls are gymnasts they both train 25hrs a week, so this is something we will have to take into consideration when looking for rentals.

We are planning to move towards end of August (depending on completion of our house sale) so a lot to organise and think about!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Whats everyone been up to? ?

We have two companies coming out this week to give us quotes for shipping, im sure that will be interesting.

Meanwhile the house sale is chugging along

Loving the weather at the minute, hopefully not our week of summer so soon!

Other news last week, my daughter was selected to represent Northern Ireland in gymnastics comp, taking place in May, very proud.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:01 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hi all

Whats everyone been up to? ?

We have two companies coming out this week to give us quotes for shipping, im sure that will be interesting.

Meanwhile the house sale is chugging along

Loving the weather at the minute, hopefully not our week of summer so soon!

Other news last week, my daughter was selected to represent Northern Ireland in gymnastics comp, taking place in May, very proud.
The weather's down to me, I brought it with me from Oz!
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

I have you to thank for the weather! Hope your enjoying your visit?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:15 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

I have you to thank for the weather! Hope your enjoying your visit?
Yeah it's good ta, tho I'm ready to go back lol
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

Hi All,

Congrats to your daughter ajmonty, bet you're chuffed to bits!

Well we're still talking about renewing our visas but not as hyped as we were before about it because the hubby got a couple of contracts there so it's going to take off work wise for us.....such a relief too!

My mum has come back from Perth for good and my sister came back with her for a holiday (she's now going to book twice a year to come home!)

The sun's out (thanks to Jen lol) and life is on the up for us again

As Hoolio says, if we were to go back again we would do things differently too, like not try to aim so high....hindsight is a wonderful thing lol
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

GilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura aboutGilraenH has a spectacular aura about

Jen good on yer!

20 degrees on the car reading outside George Best at 5pm today

Congrats ajmonty for your daughter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.