Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from N Ireland Migrating

Anyone from N Ireland Migrating

Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone from N Ireland Migrating

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Hi Stanley,

If I was you, I'd get that house on the market ASAP. Mine has been up for about a month now, and still no viewers (my sister has had her house up for sale from June and hasn't had a viewer yet) I live just down the road in Newtownards, we hope to move to the Gold Coast when we eventually get the visa.

Bwefroe we decided to make the move, we hadn't heard of anyone going to Australia - now we hear of someone every other day!

Lynn xx
hi everyone

we're from annalong co.down hoping to go to sunshine coast this time next year!

started a thread for a meet up that some of you replied to but i've been so busy lately i haven't had time to think!

sorry, must get organized!!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Elaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really niceElaine & Nigel is just really nice

Originally Posted by camacazi
hi everyone

we're from annalong co.down hoping to go to sunshine coast this time next year!

started a thread for a meet up that some of you replied to but i've been so busy lately i haven't had time to think!

sorry, must get organized!!
Hi Camacazi

We'd be interested in a meet up if your arranging one

Elaine
Old Sep 25th 2007, 6:44 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
Hi Stanley,

If I was you, I'd get that house on the market ASAP. Mine has been up for about a month now, and still no viewers (my sister has had her house up for sale from June and hasn't had a viewer yet) I live just down the road in Newtownards, we hope to move to the Gold Coast when we eventually get the visa.

Bwefroe we decided to make the move, we hadn't heard of anyone going to Australia - now we hear of someone every other day!

Lynn xx
Thanks lynn

Sort of thought about sticking it on now but to be honest nothing is moving it would just be another sign on the Street. If we get the Visa we will stick it on the market for a while if Nothing bites it will have to be stuck on as a rental.

Or dropped in price , whichever makes better sense at the time.

However I feel everyones pain at just living in limbo....
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

the4macs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We would def be interested in a meet up,we are in Mayobridge Co Down

Andrea
Old Sep 25th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by the4macs
Hi
We would def be interested in a meet up,we are in Mayobridge Co Down

Andrea
will try and sort something when i'm feelin better

got a shitty chest infection

anyone else think of somewhere to meet?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

the4macs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Caroline
hope your feeling better real soon
what about we see who is going and from what area before we decide on a location

Andrea
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by camacazi
will try and sort something when i'm feelin better

got a shitty chest infection

anyone else think of somewhere to meet?
Hi, we are also up for a meet up, no idea where though (we're in Larne)

Hope you feel better soon

Sinead

Last edited by sinurt; Sep 25th 2007 at 8:46 pm. Reason: added in location!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by the4macs
Hi Caroline
hope your feeling better real soon
what about we see who is going and from what area before we decide on a location

Andrea
ok, sounds good,

put ur name below and where ur from for a meet up
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:23 am
Just Joined

mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point

I got this on a email today from a contracting company that supplies resources to a large IT programme I am currently working on in Australia. I thought the NIers who are waiting for news on their 457 would like to know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it least it might help you plan a bit better and manage expectations. While offically it is 6 weeks delay we have been advised that this is infact being exceeded in most cases.

GLOBAL IMMIGRATION CLIENT ALERT
19 September 2007
AUSTRALIA – 457 Visa Processing Times Extended
__________________________________________________ ____________________
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) is facing a substantial increase in the number of 457 (Skilled Temporary) visa and related business sponsorship applications. As a result, processing times have extended to six weeks, and sometimes longer, from the date of filing at most DIAC offices in Australia. Businesses are advised to plan accordingly in preparing and filing applications.
The growth of the Australian economy coupled with a shortage of skills is driving many Australian businesses to sponsor skilled foreign nationals as Temporary Residents under the provisions of the 457 (Skilled Temporary) visa. Accordingly, the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) is facing a substantial increase in the number of 457 visa and related business sponsorship applications. The increased volume of applications, together with enhanced security and character checks and the processing of medical clearances, has slowed visa processing considerably at most DIAC offices in Australia. Processing times have extended to six weeks, even longer in some cases, and are expected to remain at this level for the foreseeable future. Businesses are advised to plan accordingly in preparing and filing applications.

Fragomen is closely monitoring related developments and liaising with officials to facilitate rapid processing. The Australian government has announced that it intends to introduce expedited processing for reputable employers; however, we understand that the introduction of such a program is at least a few months away. Fragomen will release updates about visa processing times and details on the expedited processing system when they become available.
Officials have stated that requests for expedited processing will be considered in very limited circumstances and only on a case-by-case basis.

The content of this alert is provided for informational purposes only. We will continue to monitor the situation and issue updates as more information becomes available.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

BoredinBelfast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mervbeng
I got this on a email today from a contracting company that supplies resources to a large IT programme I am currently working on in Australia. I thought the NIers who are waiting for news on their 457 would like to know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it least it might help you plan a bit better and manage expectations. While offically it is 6 weeks delay we have been advised that this is infact being exceeded in most cases.

GLOBAL IMMIGRATION CLIENT ALERT
19 September 2007
AUSTRALIA – 457 Visa Processing Times Extended
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: The Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) is facing a substantial increase in the number of 457 (Skilled Temporary) visa and related business sponsorship applications. As a result, processing times have extended to six weeks, and sometimes longer, from the date of filing at most DIAC offices in Australia. Businesses are advised to plan accordingly in preparing and filing applications.
The growth of the Australian economy coupled with a shortage of skills is driving many Australian businesses to sponsor skilled foreign nationals as Temporary Residents under the provisions of the 457 (Skilled Temporary) visa. Accordingly, the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) is facing a substantial increase in the number of 457 visa and related business sponsorship applications. The increased volume of applications, together with enhanced security and character checks and the processing of medical clearances, has slowed visa processing considerably at most DIAC offices in Australia. Processing times have extended to six weeks, even longer in some cases, and are expected to remain at this level for the foreseeable future. Businesses are advised to plan accordingly in preparing and filing applications.

Fragomen is closely monitoring related developments and liaising with officials to facilitate rapid processing. The Australian government has announced that it intends to introduce expedited processing for reputable employers; however, we understand that the introduction of such a program is at least a few months away. Fragomen will release updates about visa processing times and details on the expedited processing system when they become available.
Officials have stated that requests for expedited processing will be considered in very limited circumstances and only on a case-by-case basis.

The content of this alert is provided for informational purposes only. We will continue to monitor the situation and issue updates as more information becomes available.
I'm using Fragomen for my 457 and have been told similar by my agent. On one of the other threads someone has posted that they are now processing 457 medicals received at Sydney LCU on 30 August if that helps anyone! Cheers, BiB
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:26 am
Banned

Trendsetter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, sorry to hijack your thread Northern Irelanders.

There not being a NI section to this forum, I thought I would ask a question here if you don't mind regarding NI.

Next year I'm making the move to Belfast - I'm an aussie.

Last year I was out looking for a car, and came across a Belfast car salesmen who was living here in Australia. He would have been about 28. We had a good yarn about all things Irish & where he was planning to return too after having a good time in oz, but realising it wasn't for him.

He enjoyed chatting about his homeland, I was asking a few questions about the place.

But then something came up about Jimoin (the famous northern Irish comedian) and the salesmens whole demeanor changed. The salesmen voiced his disgust regarding Jimoin becasue apparently his father was a protestant and part of the british forces. He called him a dog etc. At this point I realised the car salesmen must be a catholic. I must say I have never heard a catholic be so hostile.

The car salesmen then went on to say " there is only one religion in this world - catholic, every other religion is null & void".

I guess this makes me wonder what I'm going to encounter living in NI.

I have an Irish forename, although I'm Anglican (but not religious). Are Anglicans classified as protestants? I have no idea what a protestant is.

When applying for work am I likely to be classified as catholic because of my Irish forename? Would I be discriminated against by protestants? Should I live in a catholic or protestant neighborhood? Being Australian would I not be seen as a threat and can live anywhere?

I'm aware of the "troubles", but do not judge or favour either side. Anyhow, I just wanted to find out where i would stand if living there. Sorry to bring up religion, but the above has been bugging me, hopefully some of you have a few thoughts.

P.s here's to a speedy visa for you.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:45 am
Just Joined

brizvegas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi trend setter - i'm glad the car sales man is going back to NI and won't be living in Oz anymore - living somewhere that is multicultural like Australia just won't suit someone who is obviously so narrow minded.

The main problem with NI is that it is was so insular in some areas (esp certain areas of Belfast eg Falls Road or Shankhill) - because of the inability of some communities being to see further than the end of the street and to view the big picture this perpetuated a sense of us & them - all of which is a load of w*nk on either side of the coin.

Belfast is a great city - don't let one negative experience colour your judgement.

Belfast is going through a real renaissance at the moment - new bars / restaurants opening all the time - its quite a cool place to live - the people are its best assett.

You are not likely to encounter too much of the backward looking narrow minded rubbish that the used car sales man talked about. Attitudes like his are "so last century" they really are. Belfast is full of intelligent young affluent professionals all who hold no truck with attitudes like that - its so boring its just not talked about - its like "who cares" ????

As for Jim Eoin? i had never heard of him in mylife when i was living in N. Ireland - it took me to come to Oz to know who he was - and i find him about as funny as a burning orphanage to be honest.

Don't listen to the dodgy car sales man and enjoy belfast - you will love it - even though its cold wet & miserable 99 % of the time!

Hiya, sorry to hijack your thread Northern Irelanders.

There not being a NI section to this forum, I thought I would ask a question here if you don't mind regarding NI.

Next year I'm making the move to Belfast - I'm an aussie.

Last year I was out looking for a car, and came across a Belfast car salesmen who was living here in Australia. He would have been about 28. We had a good yarn about all things Irish & where he was planning to return too after having a good time in oz, but realising it wasn't for him.

He enjoyed chatting about his homeland, I was asking a few questions about the place.

But then something came up about Jimoin (the famous northern Irish comedian) and the salesmens whole demeanor changed. The salesmen voiced his disgust regarding Jimoin becasue apparently his father was a protestant and part of the british forces. He called him a dog etc. At this point I realised the car salesmen must be a catholic. I must say I have never heard a catholic be so hostile.

The car salesmen then went on to say " there is only one religion in this world - catholic, every other religion is null & void".

I guess this makes me wonder what I'm going to encounter living in NI.

I have an Irish forename, although I'm Anglican (but not religious). Are Anglicans classified as protestants? I have no idea what a protestant is.

When applying for work am I likely to be classified as catholic because of my Irish forename? Would I be discriminated against by protestants? Should I live in a catholic or protestant neighborhood? Being Australian would I not be seen as a threat and can live anywhere?

I'm aware of the "troubles", but do not judge or favour either side. Anyhow, I just wanted to find out where i would stand if living there. Sorry to bring up religion, but the above has been bugging me, hopefully some of you have a few thoughts.

P.s here's to a speedy visa for you.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:02 am
Banned

Thanks for your thoughts, brizvegas123

When I was in Rome last year I was asked a few times for directions in Italian. I can only say "bonjour no" in Italian, so I wasn't much help after that. HAHA

These dark features come from my irish background, not italian. (think Colin Farrel, I have been told a few times before that I look like him). Add an Aussie tan and I suppose I could pass for Italian from just a glance or from behind.

Because of this, are NI people likely to judge me as Roman catholic, even though I'm not religious? Especially with the Irish forename? Is it likely to affect my job prospects, NI being 55% protestant?

or I guess it could go in my favour with catholic employers?

I know here in Australia, a persons forename says alot about them. Some employers will determine your background from your name. Ie. Chan is obviously an asian name and could count against someone with an anti-asian employer. Some employers will only go for anglo names as thats who they believe would be the best fit for their team. And of course some asian employers will only employ other asians.

Is that how it works over in NI, or am I just over-reacting and reading too much into religious differences?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:22 am
Just Joined

brizvegas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - in NI there is draconian strict equal opportunties legislation in place which means that employers cannot discriminate against you because of your religion or sex etc. You actually have to fill out a form when you apply for a job (as far as i remember) which is sent off to the equal opportunites commission i - they (the commission) ensure that all companies are accountable for the staff they employ - for example if a company only employed men - the comission would want to know why.

As for you name - same goes for that - they are legally not allowed to discriminate either why would they ? whats in a name ?

i think you are over reacting a little thankfully its 2007 and not 1977 ireland has come a long way since the 'bad old days'.

People are more intelligent these days - there is no drama. Its is the older generation (those people in their 50's to 70's) who lived through all the bullsh*t that might have an opinion - but its the younger generation who are shaping NI of the 21st century.I'm sure you will meet some lovely people and if you bring up religion in conversation you might get told politely to mind your own business - but that will be as far as it goes.Its so boring people just don't want to talk about it over their beers ona Friday night in the pub.

What you fail to realise is that since the borders of Europe were opened NI has been flooded and i mean flooded with Polish catholic migrants all who have settled in to the various communities within NI without too much drama - so if they can do it - you really don't need to sweat about it.

just relax and enjoy it - you will stick out like a sore thumb with your tan as everyone is pasty white but other than that you will be fine!

Thanks for your thoughts, brizvegas123

When I was in Rome last year I was asked a few times for directions in Italian. I can only say "bonjour no" in Italian, so I wasn't much help after that. HAHA

These dark features come from my irish background, not italian. (think Colin Farrel, I have been told a few times before that I look like him). Add an Aussie tan and I suppose I could pass for Italian from just a glance or from behind.

Because of this, are NI people likely to judge me as Roman catholic, even though I'm not religious? Especially with the Irish forename? Is it likely to affect my job prospects, NI being 55% protestant?

or I guess it could go in my favour with catholic employers?

I know here in Australia, a persons forename says alot about them. Some employers will determine your background from your name. Ie. Chan is obviously an asian name and could count against someone with an anti-asian employer. Some employers will only go for anglo names as thats who they believe would be the best fit for their team. And of course some asian employers will only employ other asians.

Is that how it works over in NI, or am I just over-reacting and reading too much into religious differences?[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:57 am
Banned

Brisvegas123, How are you liking Manly? Have you experienced a Brissy summer yet? It probably won't be too bad out there as you'll get the breezes.

I remember ending up out at Manly one night after accidentally getting on the express train from the city.

I was living at Annerley at the time, which is only a couple of stops from the city, hopped up to get off at Dutton Park and the train went straight through the station and didnt stop until Manly. I then had to get the train all the way back to the city and back to Annerley again. Nightmare! That is my memory of Manly. :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.