Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone moved from adelaide? are you warmer

anyone moved from adelaide? are you warmer

Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default anyone moved from adelaide? are you warmer

Hi

been here in adelaide 3 years now,winter doesnt get any better!!

Its bloody freezing especially in the house despite ducted etc

I suffer with raynauds and end up wearing gloves inside

Is it any warmer in winter where you are?

we are thinking of an interstate move
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone moved from adelaide? are you warmer

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Hi

Trouble is wherever you move to, unless it Cairns or Darwin, you will find the winters fine for the first couple of years and then acclimatise and be freezing again.

It's lovely here during the day with the sun shining, a nice, jumper and jeans wearing 20 degrees but after dark it drops down to 10 ish and lower first thing in the morning. My fingers are blue just typing this at the moment and it's about 18 degrees. In the UK i'd have probably been thinking how warm it was
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Trouble is wherever you move to, unless it Cairns or Darwin, you will find the winters fine for the first couple of years and then acclimatise and be freezing again.

It's lovely here during the day with the sun shining, a nice, jumper and jeans wearing 20 degrees but after dark it drops down to 10 ish and lower first thing in the morning. My fingers are blue just typing this at the moment and it's about 18 degrees. In the UK i'd have probably been thinking how warm it was
yes i agree warmer than the uk

But yesterday and today have been scraping ice off the windscreen

not pleasant when you have raynauds even in gloves

Just would like somewhere warmer for my fingers and feet,as have difficulty walking some days too
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

yes i agree warmer than the uk

But yesterday and today have been scraping ice off the windscreen

not pleasant when you have raynauds even in gloves

Just would like somewhere warmer for my fingers and feet,as have difficulty walking some days too
Ok, on the coast we don't get to ice on windscreens but they do in the Hinterland and further back so the best bet would be Capricorn Coast and upwards to really save the pain. I don't suffer Raynauds (as far as I'm aware but my hands are cold 365 days a year which whilst being a pain in the neck does mean I make bloody good pastry

I have the heating on in the car in the mornings but probably normal people wouldn't
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Brisbane and so far have not been very cold at all this winter. Lovely during the day and at night in the house I'm still in shorts, tshirt and bare feet. I've been cycling to/from work and not been that cold. My wife has started with the slippers and blanket on the sofa routine so it really depends what you're like. We use no heating at all BTW. Might put reverse cycle a/c on a couple times per year.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Adelaide was supposed to be a nice warm city? Mind you I went there for a couple of days recently on my validation trip and found my friend's house a bit nippy as it does not have heating.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no. Yes I've moved interstate from Adelaide and no I'm not warmer.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:23 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm warmer......but it's still chilly enough to rug up and feel cosy Winter is my favourite Season and I much prefer the climate here
Old Jun 16th 2010, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

As MP says, I think you would really need to be looking at the tropics ie Cairns or Darwin.
Disadvantage of both of course, is the humidity in summer, largely bearable with A/C, unless you work outdoors.
Certainly in Cairns, the weather is perfect in winter!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

We moved from Adelaide to Hervey Bay a couple of years ago and yes much warmer in winter. As said above, quite warm during the day with lovely blue skies but chilly on a night. We have no heating in our house and just have a couple of rugs over the settees incase it gets nippy.
Angela
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hi

Try turning the ducted air con off in winter, you might find the place a bit warmer then.....
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

Hi

Wouldn't it be cheaper and less traumatic to consider doing something to improve the house?
- secondary glazing (as ugly as it is!)
- proper insulation in lofts
- maybe a cavity insulation thingy?

If you did both those it would cost a couple of thousand $s I guess, but that has to be cheaper than moving and finding new jobs.
At worst, it improves the house if you still decide to.

Agree that the homes are poor for keeping the heat, but that is not because it's cold, it's because of the house.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live in the hills??

I have not once had ice on my car, or met any locals who have done (when I am giving them stories of proper winters lol). We did have frost for a couple of days recently, but not a spot on the car.
It can feel bloody cold, but I find that more in the house, not outside (unless at the beach where it is bloody cold!). That is just that the houses are crap though. I would go for sorting your heating out rather than moving, as from what I have seen most places get just as cold. I know when I lived in Sydney I was much colder than here. And a visit to Melbourne two winters ago, God, I could never live there, it was SO cold, and not even sunny.

If you live in the hills, perhaps you could move onto the plains? North Adelaide always seems to be a couple of degrees warmer than south.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Try turning the ducted air con off in winter, you might find the place a bit warmer then.....
its ducted heating!!

the house has heating ,rugs,curtains insulation etc

But still damn cold

yes we are in the hills so think its colder her than flatter areas of adelaide but to be honest even outside is too cold for my feet and fingers some of the time

We moved here hoping to be free of all that
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It is bloody cold here in Adelaide. The last few nights have been really bad. You could move further up north but you may well find it too warm. Hard to strike a balance in a country of extremes. Perhaps somewhere in the mid west coast might be OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.