Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Port Stephens?

Anyone live in Port Stephens?

Old May 12th 2007, 8:40 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone live in Port Stephens?

Hi Guys

We've just gotten back from another fantastic weekend in Nelson Bay....Port Stephens. We loved it so much (been a few times and loved it every time!) that we're considering moving there. To make things a bit cheaper (and far cheaper than where we are now!) we're looking into moving about 20 mins inland in Raymond Terrace.

Anyone live in that area and can give me some feedback please?

Thanks

Rach xxxx
Old May 12th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Port Stephens?

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hi Guys

We've just gotten back from another fantastic weekend in Nelson Bay....Port Stephens. We loved it so much (been a few times and loved it every time!) that we're considering moving there. To make things a bit cheaper (and far cheaper than where we are now!) we're looking into moving about 20 mins inland in Raymond Terrace.

Thanks

Rach xxxx
I seem to remember that Sleeping Beauty lives in Medowie, near Raymond Terrace.

You could try sending her a PM.
Old May 13th 2007, 12:50 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I seem to remember that Sleeping Beauty lives in Medowie, near Raymond Terrace.

You could try sending her a PM.
Brilliant thanks Nicky. Medowie is pretty cheap too so that was another option of ours. One of the lads at hubbys work has told him that Raymond Terrace is a dumping ground for Housing Association (or Oz equivalent!) people from Sydney CBD! Bugger!!
Old May 13th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant thanks Nicky. Medowie is pretty cheap too so that was another option of ours. One of the lads at hubbys work has told him that Raymond Terrace is a dumping ground for Housing Association (or Oz equivalent!) people from Sydney CBD! Bugger!!
Hi Mrs J

Sleeping Beauty is in Medowie, she will tell you more. I am 40 minutes from her in the Hunter Valley (Cessnock). I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Have been here 8 months and love it, we bought a plot of land and are about to commence building! Love the fact we are surrounded by the stunning scenery of the vineyards, 40 minutes from the stunning Port Stephens beaches and under 2 hours from Sydney!!

Nikki
Old May 13th 2007, 12:53 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Thanks

Rach xxxx
mmeeeeeeee, what do you want to know? personally, i/we dont like raymond terrace to live there. however it is a great little town for the shopping etc.
Old May 13th 2007, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
mmeeeeeeee, what do you want to know? personally, i/we dont like raymond terrace to live there. however it is a great little town for the shopping etc.
Firstly..........sorry Nikki for spelling your name wrong!

SB - thanks for posting..........questions..........soooo many

You're the second person to give negatives about Raymond Terrace (and its only 2 people in the know who we've spoken to!!) so I think we'll cross that one off the list!!

Lemon Tree passage was another one we were thinking of and we've heard good feedback so far.

We've been here for 13 months and have to stay where we are for another 11 months and then we're free to move (was employer sponsored coming over so have to stay with them for 2 years). So now is the time to start looking around and deciding what we're gonna do with ourselves.

All 3 of us absolutely LOVE Port Stephens.......every time I come back from there I want to move there.

So you're in Medowie are you? What are the shops like there? Which big suburb/city do you shop in? Do you have kids? If so whats the schooling like?

Soooo many questions

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
Old May 13th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

You're the second person to give negatives about Raymond Terrace (and its only 2 people in the know who we've spoken to!!) so I think we'll cross that one off the list!!

Lemon Tree passage was another one we were thinking of and we've heard good feedback so far.

We've been here for 13 months and have to stay where we are for another 11 months and then we're free to move (was employer sponsored coming over so have to stay with them for 2 years). So now is the time to start looking around and deciding what we're gonna do with ourselves.

All 3 of us absolutely LOVE Port Stephens.......every time I come back from there I want to move there.

So you're in Medowie are you? What are the shops like there? Which big suburb/city do you shop in? Do you have kids? If so whats the schooling like?

Soooo many questions

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
2 differnet Nikki's (nicky and nikki)!!!!

Hi SB, must catch up soon!!

Lemon Tree Passage is stunning....I know someone who lives there, we go quite often!

Nikki
Old May 13th 2007, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Nikki
2 differnet Nikki's (nicky and nikki)!!!!

Hi SB, must catch up soon!!

Lemon Tree Passage is stunning....I know someone who lives there, we go quite often!

Nikki
Oh jesus - my heads pickled!!

Sorry then Nikki for almost going to spell your name wrong!! lol

Thanks to both Nikki & Nicky for replying
Old May 13th 2007, 1:34 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo many questions

Thanks again

Rach xxxx
sorry, have been doing something very unmothers day like .......washing up!!!

okay, where do i start?! we have 2 kids, 9 and 5, both go to one of the 2 local public schools here (the biggest one). there are 3 schools here, one is a christian school. we are happy with the schooling for the little one, it is fantastic. the older one though (now in year 5) had a iffy start last year. however, he now has a different teacher and things have improved, although i am still not 100% on his schooling. how old are your children? what jobs do you do?

i normally go to raymond terrace for most things, but newcastle is only 20 mins away, then there is greenhills shopping centre (nice coffee nikki ), thats about 35 mins away. then there is kotara and charlestown (both in newcastle). i also sometimes go to slamander bay fr shopping. i think one of the downsides of lemon tree passage is the long road to it. you have got that time to add on before any journey begins.

somebody on here came out for a reccie in april, and has already bought a house in medowie before their trip back to the uk (so i believe). medowie is in a really good position logisitically, not far from the bay/beaches (in fact we are going over there today ), but not too far from the pacific highway to go up/down the coast (10 mins away), and not too far away from newcastle for work etc.

ermm, anything else? what sort of house are you looking for?

nikki, i am not working monday/wednesday next week. what are you working?

xx
Old May 13th 2007, 1:40 am

sorry, have been doing something very unmothers day like .......washing up!!!

okay, where do i start?! we have 2 kids, 9 and 5, both go to one of the 2 local public schools here (the biggest one). there are 3 schools here, one is a christian school. we are happy with the schooling for the little one, it is fantastic. the older one though (now in year 5) had a iffy start last year. however, he now has a different teacher and things have improved, although i am still not 100% on his schooling. how old are your children? what jobs do you do?

i normally go to raymond terrace for most things, but newcastle is only 20 mins away, then there is greenhills shopping centre (nice coffee nikki ), thats about 35 mins away. then there is kotara and charlestown (both in newcastle). i also sometimes go to slamander bay fr shopping. i think one of the downsides of lemon tree passage is the long road to it. you have got that time to add on before any journey begins.

somebody on here came out for a reccie in april, and has already bought a house in medowie before their trip back to the uk (so i believe). medowie is in a really good position logisitically, not far from the bay/beaches (in fact we are going over there today ), but not too far from the pacific highway to go up/down the coast (10 mins away), and not too far away from newcastle for work etc.

ermm, anything else? what sort of house are you looking for?

nikki, i am not working monday/wednesday next week. what are you working?

xx
Thanks SB!

We've got one daughter whos 7 and has settled in really well here (thankfully). Medowie is sounding pretty good to me so I'll check it out a bit more.

Initially we'll be renting and then would probably buy 12 months down the line. It'd be a case of seeing what we could get for $300 a week (which after looking on RE is a lot more than we can get down here - Richmond which is an hour from Sydney!)

I'm not working at the moment . Hubby works on aircraft so could probably get a job in William Town - any idea how long the commute would be from Medowie to there?

Off out for the day now to do some Mothers Day stuff!!

Chat soon

Rach xxxx
Old May 13th 2007, 1:42 am
Never going back

Thanks SB!

We've got one daughter whos 7 and has settled in really well here (thankfully). Medowie is sounding pretty good to me so I'll check it out a bit more.

Initially we'll be renting and then would probably buy 12 months down the line. It'd be a case of seeing what we could get for $300 a week (which after looking on RE is a lot more than we can get down here - Richmond which is an hour from Sydney!)

I'm not working at the moment . Hubby works on aircraft so could probably get a job in William Town - any idea how long the commute would be from Medowie to there?

Off out for the day now to do some Mothers Day stuff!!

Chat soon

Rach xxxx
have pmd you
Old May 13th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

have pmd you
SB have to get ready now, working til 12 on Wednesday - could get to greenhills for a quick coffee, say 12.45???

Back on later, have missed our chats!!!

Love Nikki x
Old May 13th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Port Stephens is lovely, we were up there the other weekend. Personally I don't know if I would want to live up there, but then I'm biased because although we've only been here a few weeks I really like the area that we are in - on the edge of Maitland. Close to the vineyards, beautiful countryside, twentyfive min to Newcastle, an hour-ish to Port Stephens, and a couple of hours to Sydney. What more could you want?
AND my house is only about a two minute drive to the Greenhills shopping centre - room for one more for coffee? I haven't tested out any of the cafes there yet. And it would be lovely to talk to someone other than the dog during the day time!
Old May 13th 2007, 7:37 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by esperanza
Port Stephens is lovely, we were up there the other weekend. Personally I don't know if I would want to live up there, but then I'm biased because although we've only been here a few weeks I really like the area that we are in - on the edge of Maitland. Close to the vineyards, beautiful countryside, twentyfive min to Newcastle, an hour-ish to Port Stephens, and a couple of hours to Sydney. What more could you want?
AND my house is only about a two minute drive to the Greenhills shopping centre - room for one more for coffee? I haven't tested out any of the cafes there yet. And it would be lovely to talk to someone other than the dog during the day time!
hi, are you okay for wednesday afternoon then?
Old May 13th 2007, 7:46 am

have pmd you
Thanks for PM SB!

Have just got in from our day out and vino is flowing now so prob wont get a chance to phone.........I'll def be in touch soon though.

Thanks very much!

Rach xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.