Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone leaving UK in May?

Anyone leaving UK in May?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:32 pm
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone leaving UK in May?

Wow, lots of people off to Perth! I'll be joining you, when the visa comes through. Job is supposed to start April 1st, but it's unlikely I'll be leaving before the end of April at the absolute earliest, May is far more likely.

Finish work tomorrow, but still very disorganised. As I'm sure people here know, it's quite hard to plan things when you haven't actually got a firm date set for leaving the country!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:56 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimandkate
Hi we are going to Perth just not to sure about the date yet

Its great that you have a rental where abouts are you going?
everything will work out with your house sale
we have started to sort out all our bits and bobs but I think someone comes in behind me with some more never knew we had so much (crap)
but good luck to everyone

We are initially heading to Forrestfield.

I know what you mean about loads of crap
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

We have rented out a lovely 4 bed room house in Port Kennedy from www.aussiemove.com the house is called Lakeside which was also featured in the tv show wanted down under as one of the familys stayed in the same house, June and a few months afterwards is still available if anyone is looking for a house to rent in Perth.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:07 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.
We fly out to Brisbane on 13th May and havent even begun to think about half the stuff you ve mentioned!!!
I finished work yesterday so am hoping to get a little organised soon!
Have been having a general clear out and many trips to the charity shops for months now but we still seem to have the same amout of rubbish lying around!
I seriously need to get organised i think.
Got a 3 week rental booked for when we get there (Gold Coast ) and will look round for a longer term rental in that time.
I have a job to go to so we re lucky that way and we have 3 viewers booked in to view the house this weekend ...so fingers crossed!
Anyway...good luck to all of you in a simular position..im sure it will all be worth it!
Janice.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Is anyone leaving the UK in May? We are and I just wanted to see how others are feeling.

I finished work today (admin job that I've been at for 7yrs - and closing massage business at the end of this week). I drove away feeling elated, like a 100 weights had been cut from me, and I'm starting to realise that with every little thing I cancel, every piece of junk mail I send back as 'no longer at address', every thing I end of selling on ebay or give to chariy (to lighten the load), I feel that little bit more free, which is both exciting and also a bit scary, like being exposed. When we get to Oz we will have no job (not scared at all, can't wait!!!), we're initially staying with family and will have a nice bit of money in the bank and I believe we will feel free. This is such a foreign concept, feeling free, when you've been geared your whole life to work work work and be stuck in the same place etc. I guess the freedom feeling is counter-balanced by the sadness of leaving people but it still so exhilarating!

So I would love to hear what everyone has done in preparation for their move in May and what they still have left to do. I'm sure I've left lots off my list below! Its certainly not difinitive!
  • I have organised cancellation of broadband to day (30days notice), 14days for BT line so will do in April.
  • Paying off car finance this week then selling car
  • Shipping is booked, just need to fill in forms
  • Started clearing out the flat of bits we don't want to take
  • Sorting out nick-naks to make sure they come with, already have a hand luggage shelf for important mementos!
  • Changing contract phones to Pay&Go
  • Final accounts for work will be done April 5.
Hoping for May to be cleaning everything (oh joy!) and making sure all bills etc paid, sorted, bank accounts closed etc. And of course catching up with people for all those goodbyes!

Best of luck! We are heading to Brisbane on Sunday, still not really sunk in yet!! We don't have jobs yet but hopefully won't be long after arrival before we do?! Where are you heading in Brisbane?

Debbie
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all

Well hopefully we be be leaving in May, thats if the house completes in time. Moving to Brisbane. I haven't even started to get things sorted, don't work so I have no answer for that apart from my daughter will not let me. hopefully some more people will be flying from london other wise i will have the plane all to myself lol.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:14 am
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Where abouts are you heading to in Brisbane? We fly out there on 27th.

I too am off to France for a week next week then as you say loads of meeting up and weekends away to fit in! The only thing really annoying me is the money transfer - got an account, just waiting for a good rate!
we are at the mo going to greenslopes to stay with freinds for a week and then hopefully around orimiston area as kids are going to the school there. But so much to do my head is starting to spin. I don't know how anyone else is feeling, but it feels a bit like a dream and someone is going to wake me up.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 weeks to go
- sorting out clutter - busy scanning paperwork to reduce shipping tons of old paperwork (why I have bills from 10 years ago I don't know!!)
- need to burn/shred unwanted paperwork
- called in shipping companies to come and quote (so far looked at PSS, removalgroup who are actually a broker service; another 3 to see next week)
- started cancelling bills
- handing in notice next week at work
- sorting out leaving do's and drinks!
- need to contact a lot more people eg tax man, council tax etc
- need to call rental agents to see if house can be put on rent
- fighting for all refunds I can get eg TV license, car insurance!!
- consolidating bank accounts
- need to organise forex & oz bank accounts
- need shop around for flights
- awaiting kids visa
- need to get Experian type credit reference report
- finish DIY in the house before renting out
- need to book temp accomodation in Perth
- need to sell my car
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!....breathe in....and out!

Ah what fun this all is, eh??
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:53 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

God you are organised.

Can I ask why are you organising forex accounts are you doing that to transfer your money?

Why cant your own bank do it? ours have said they can. They do it on current exchange and have a small fee.

Is there any reason not to do it with our own bank.

Thanks for any help, I need it

Kaye
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

Our flights are booked for end April. We leave UK in 4 weeks for Brisbane- AAAARRRRGGHHH
Cant believe its so close. All our stuff was collected by Doree Bonner a few weeks ago and we are living at my parents. It was really amazing the crap we had accumulated. After being ruthless, we still managed to fill a 20ft container to take with us though. I spent 3 days cleaning OH tools and could smell jeyes fluid for days afterwards.

We are down to living with 2 suitcases, a few winter clothes for here and Tshirts/shorts for when we arrive. I have already finished work, OH finishes the day before we fly!!! We have a house to move into, set up bank account and transferred our money using HiFX. Also booked a rental car for the first week when we arrive but dont have any jobs lined up yet though

Im glad to say my list of things to do (which was 2 pages long) now only says leaving party (drinking session) most nights at local pub till we go. Its been a really stressful time getting to this stage there was so much to do. I am now so excited, just waiting to go. Im sure there's probably something Ive forgotten, but I have etickets, passports with PR visas in and OH
Fraser coast, here we come.........
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

We are. 18th May to Adelaide. Gulp!

Jo.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

sundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant futuresundropstar has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wardy2
God you are organised.

Can I ask why are you organising forex accounts are you doing that to transfer your money?

Why cant your own bank do it? ours have said they can. They do it on current exchange and have a small fee.

Is there any reason not to do it with our own bank.

Thanks for any help, I need it

Kaye

You might get a better exchange rate if you do it through a dedicated company like Ozforex or HIFX, to name just two. Even if you don't, at least you will have the accounts open and the options available to you.

Jo.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sundropstar
We are. 18th May to Adelaide. Gulp!

Jo.
hi - we're going around the same date to adelaide - as long as my spouse visa comes through in time.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donovandenese
hi - we're going around the same date to adelaide - as long as my spouse visa comes through in time.

Good Luck-I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Jo.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
we are at the mo going to greenslopes to stay with freinds for a week and then hopefully around orimiston area as kids are going to the school there. But so much to do my head is starting to spin. I don't know how anyone else is feeling, but it feels a bit like a dream and someone is going to wake me up.
We know Greenslopes! We stayed with friends in Holland Park last May for a month and would often walk up to Greenslopes Mall! Its a nice location to start in for sure, haven;t heard of ormiston, will have to look it up! We're staying with my auntie in Camira to start with (near Forrest Lake) and will find a rental asap around that area I think. Its still only 30mins-ish to the city.

I am with you on the dream front - wan you imagine what we will all be like when we get there?! Its a crazy feeling. I'm off to France for a week tomorrow to see my grandma - 85 last week! Its a home from home since we were babies, always spent the 6wk summer hols there with her and I think this will be the begining of the sad goodbyes! Am taking my video cam to film the place as not sure when we'll be able to visit there again. Infact, I've started videoing a lots of things just so we have a little reminder and can show our future kids!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.