Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone installed gas pool heating?

Anyone installed gas pool heating?

Old May 10th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone installed gas pool heating?

Any recommendations or advice?

What did it cost?
Old May 10th 2008, 2:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone installed gas pool heating?

There was this thread last July. The Jones Family - post 10 and onwards. Didn't re read all of it and can't remember if they actually gave costs but it's a useful thread, I think.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There was this thread last July. The Jones Family - post 10 and onwards. Didn't re read all of it and can't remember if they actually gave costs but it's a useful thread, I think.
Thanks - an interesting read but no costs.

We have a solar heater at the moment but it does precisely nothing.
Old May 10th 2008, 11:14 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
Thanks - an interesting read but no costs.

We have a solar heater at the moment but it does precisely nothing.
Our solar will do 3-4C on a day like today in Brissy, but most of the heat will be lost overnight as we don't have a cover yet. Is it actually working ? you should be able to feel the warmer water coming out of the return.
Old May 11th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by datamile
Our solar will do 3-4C on a day like today in Brissy, but most of the heat will be lost overnight as we don't have a cover yet. Is it actually working ? you should be able to feel the warmer water coming out of the return.
Yes it is working (I had an engineer out to look at it) but to be honest with water temperatures around 17-18C I think it is still not making the sort of difference than makes me want to get in!
Old May 11th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Smilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really niceSmilz is just really nice

Yes it is working (I had an engineer out to look at it) but to be honest with water temperatures around 17-18C I think it is still not making the sort of difference than makes me want to get in!
Hi what size of pool surface area do you have and how many panels? what size are the panels? are they tubes or flat panels?

Given the right sort/number of panels you should be ok
Old May 11th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilz
Hi what size of pool surface area do you have and how many panels? what size are the panels? are they tubes or flat panels?

Given the right sort/number of panels you should be ok
Hi there

Our pool is 4.5m x 10m
Old May 11th 2008, 6:23 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

So you should have at least 80% of that is solar panels as a minimum. Mines 110% in Brissy and only heating to 25C but air temp ranges are now 11-27, so it loses it overnight. Getting to the point of turning it off, but atleast it 25c all the way thorough rather that 25c for top 50cm, then 20c below that.
Old May 11th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ok - so we don't have anything like that in terms of solar panels so I am not surprised it is not working.

I am going to get some quotes for gas as - to be honest - even in the middle of the summer it wasn't that warm
Old May 11th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

ok - so we don't have anything like that in terms of solar panels so I am not surprised it is not working.

I am going to get some quotes for gas as - to be honest - even in the middle of the summer it wasn't that warm
Hi,
Couldnt help seeing this one.
I would go 100% of surface area on a north facing roof to have any chance of a good warm pool.
I now fit mostly heat pumps as they can give all year round swimming and are cheap to run provided (and this goes for all forms of heating) you use it in conjunction with a blanket.
Your pool is around 55,000 Litres so it would not be cheap to heat with gas. Cost would be dependant on usage and desired temperature, but conservatively your gas bill will be in 4 figures.
If you need anything in terms of heating or blankets I can supply these with a substantial discount.
Cheers
Steve
Old May 11th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steveyp
Hi,
Couldnt help seeing this one.
I would go 100% of surface area on a north facing roof to have any chance of a good warm pool.
I now fit mostly heat pumps as they can give all year round swimming and are cheap to run provided (and this goes for all forms of heating) you use it in conjunction with a blanket.
Your pool is around 55,000 Litres so it would not be cheap to heat with gas. Cost would be dependant on usage and desired temperature, but conservatively your gas bill will be in 4 figures.
If you need anything in terms of heating or blankets I can supply these with a substantial discount.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks for that.

How much does a heat pump cost (installation wise) relative to gas and what are the key differences?

My idea is that I would like to use the pool most weekends so would probably aim to heat it from Friday until Sunday evening. I will be happy to have the water at around 25C.
Old May 11th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

what's a heat pump?
Old May 11th 2008, 11:43 am
DownUnder

Originally Posted by bridie
what's a heat pump?
Your fridge

A heat pump is a machine or device that moves heat from one location (the 'source') to another location (the 'sink' or 'heat sink'), using work. Most heat pump technology moves heat from a low temperature heat source to a higher temperature heat sink.[1] Common examples are food refrigerators and freezers and air conditioners and reversible-cycle heat pumps for providing thermal comfort.

Heat pumps can be thought of as a heat engine which is operating in reverse. One common type of heat pump works by exploiting the physical properties of an evaporating and condensing fluid known as a refrigerant. In heating, ventilation, and cooling (HVAC) applications, a heat pump normally refers to a vapor-compression refrigeration device that includes a reversing valve and optimized heat exchangers so that the direction of heat flow may be reversed. Most commonly, heat pumps draw heat from the air or from the ground. Air-source heat pumps with a coefficient of performance (COP) 3 are developed in Japan at −20 °C.
Old May 11th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Your fridge

A heat pump is a machine or device that moves heat from one location (the 'source') to another location (the 'sink' or 'heat sink'), using work. Most heat pump technology moves heat from a low temperature heat source to a higher temperature heat sink.[1] Common examples are food refrigerators and freezers and air conditioners and reversible-cycle heat pumps for providing thermal comfort.

Heat pumps can be thought of as a heat engine which is operating in reverse. One common type of heat pump works by exploiting the physical properties of an evaporating and condensing fluid known as a refrigerant. In heating, ventilation, and cooling (HVAC) applications, a heat pump normally refers to a vapor-compression refrigeration device that includes a reversing valve and optimized heat exchangers so that the direction of heat flow may be reversed. Most commonly, heat pumps draw heat from the air or from the ground. Air-source heat pumps with a coefficient of performance (COP) 3 are developed in Japan at −20 °C.
Well glad we cleared that one up
Old May 12th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Your fridge

ah right, same as the domestic water heaters we've been looking at, didnt know you could get them for pools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.