Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in hobart

anyone in hobart

Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone in hobart

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Cheers Poll, appreciate the pointers. Good to have recommendations for the pubs too
One of the best lock-ins I have had was in Wynyard when I was backpacking 20 years ago, such a fun night! I must go back and spend time in the town again one day instead of just going through it cos I had such a good week there Amazing beach walks too!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 7:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One of the best lock-ins I have had was in Wynyard when I was backpacking 20 years ago, such a fun night! I must go back and spend time in the town again one day instead of just going through it cos I had such a good week there Amazing beach walks too!
I like the sound of it! If we do end up there and you're still in Oz, you could visit and we could try to recreate your backpacking night - as long as I don't have to actually carry a backpack coz I'm old now and would collapse and die, thus ruining the night.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 10:05 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there could be a BE commune in Tassie when we all retire

We'd definitely retire there (although might have to have a month in Cairns to get through the worst of the winter, my NE English roots seem to have deserted me when it comes to the cold).

Mind you, we've only been there once on a long weekend and fell in love with the place - we did buy our current house on the basis of driving along the top road and falling in love with here, so we do have a track record for such acts.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I like the sound of it! If we do end up there and you're still in Oz, you could visit and we could try to recreate your backpacking night - as long as I don't have to actually carry a backpack coz I'm old now and would collapse and die, thus ruining the night.
I couldn't backpack now, arthritic feet have put paid to that, we could still drink in the pub and pretend we are youngsters again though
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Brisbane to Hobart,you lucky gits. If I could get a job I'd move tomorrow.

Not sure if IanandHelena still pop in, but I think they were happy there. I had a partner there for a few years, spent lot of time dwn there and loved it.

There is plenty to do if you like boats, wildlife, mountains, lakes, hiking - general wild outdoor pursuits. Also plenty of historical places to visit, they really treasure their heritage. Food and wine/beer/cider are excellent and there are festivals all over the state to celebrate the fact. Lots of pubs - some of them are pretty like British ones too, and there's a general laidback air to the place.

It can be expensive because most things have to come from the mainland, but as internet shopping draws this is far less of an issue than it used to be.

Carcajou mentioned flights - you can get really cheap ones and they are increasing them from next year as the airport has had a large makeover. It also hopes to restart international flights next year, with the return of Customs and Immigration agents.

Weather? You get the lot. Snow - even down to sea level in Hobart at times, a fair number of wet days but not excessive, and a lot are just early or late showers. Equally lots of sunshine and warm days. I've been there inn a rare 38 degrees (yuck) but the tops are usually 27-29ish and its a much drier heat than Brisbane so far more pleasant to get out and about even on the odd hot day.
I've been visiting for nearly 20 years and there are still bits I haven't seen.

The main issue is work. If you have that sorted, go for it!
What she said ▲▲▲! We're still here, still loving it. (I don't agree with the part about "it can be expensive" though, that isn't what we've found. Also, housing is definitely cheaper.)

Last edited by ianandhelena; Aug 22nd 2017 at 2:50 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:14 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
What she said ▲▲▲! We're still here, still loving it. (I don't agree with the part about "it can be expensive" though, that isn't what we've found. Also, housing is definitely cheaper.)
I guess its probably evened out since was spending time living there rather than visiting

Definitely agree on the housing, comared to the big island that seems to be much cheaper.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely the most underrated part of Australia. It can only grow in leaps and bounds once the rest of the world wakes up. Which actually seems to be happening. So add to the list a highly probable good long term real estate gain. By that, I mean overtaking the rest of the Australian mainland on a pro rata growth basis.

Tasmania as a whole is also a long shot contender for the best foodies place in the world. It will end up very high on that list as well. Only Sydney and Melbourne better or equal it from an Australian perspective at present.

Add our names as very likely to retire there as well..... Caveat being I have to do the big lap around Aus in the next few years to see if anywhere else can equal it.... I doubt I'll find anywhere as good that suits our likes and dislikes though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 25th 2017 at 5:30 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Pockets of real estate in Hobart may go up but I doubt Tasmania as a whole - there is still not enough potential for industry or finance there to drive the job market, and foodie-ism, which by definition is small-scale, is not going to be on a big enough collective scale to do that. I don't think enough retirees will come down to engineer a real-estate boom in the rest of the state.

The problem is geography. Why would you put a business in Tasmania when you have no possibility of road or rail transport of your product to mainland Australia? The population base is too small to support the tech and financial industries, and young Australians do not want to go there - they want to be in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane (in that order).

It's also too far off the beaten track to easily include on the de facto standard package tours for overseas visitors.

While I think Tasmania will continue to grow in popularity, the capacity for that is limited.

I think someone (not retired) moving to Tasmania without a job already lined up, probably needs about a half-million to million Dollars in reserve.