British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   anyone in hobart (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-hobart-902035/)

sormesher Aug 18th 2017 7:15 am

anyone in hobart

an opportunity has come up which is making us contemplate a move to hobart, we currently live near Brisbane. just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the place, is there plenty to do, is it too rainy that you can't go outside, is it expensive?

mikelincs Aug 18th 2017 9:04 am

Re: anyone in hobart

Originally Posted by sormesher (Post 12319359)
an opportunity has come up which is making us contemplate a move to hobart, we currently live near Brisbane. just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the place, is there plenty to do, is it too rainy that you can't go outside, is it expensive?

Approx 250,000 people according to Wikipedia, in answer to your title. :lol:

sormesher Aug 18th 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12319400)
Approx 250,000 people according to Wikipedia, in answer to your title. :lol:

😂Lol, well I hope at least one of those 250,000 is on here!

Dorothy Aug 18th 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by sormesher (Post 12319475)
😂Lol, well I hope at least one of those 250,000 is on here!

I think there used to be a poster in Hobart called IanandHelena (?). Not sure if they are receiving emails from BE but you could try looking for their profile and maybe sending an email if the option is there.

Alternately, Polly loves Tas and has been there loads of times.

carcajou Aug 18th 2017 10:53 am

I suppose it depends on what you're after.

I love Tasmania, but we are outdoorsy and don't like big cities. So, if that fits you: You will like it.

It has also become something of a foodie destination - lots of wines, cheeses and produce come out of there.

A lot of retirees going there these days to get out of the mainland heat and also cost-of-living is a bit lower.

The other part of the equation is stable employment - it sounds like you are contemplating a move because of a job offer, so that would be sorted too. I wouldn't want to test the Tasmanian employment market.

Hobart as mikelincs said has 250,000 people and is the biggest city by far. It is isolated; the ferry to Melbourne is a long ride, and while in theory it's not a long flight to Melbourne or Sydney, once you factor in price, parking, etc - it is and the cost of that really adds up. Historically, Australians have seen Tasmania as an inbred backwater.

So, if you are outdoorsy, can do without cities and have stable employment: Go for it.

If you need your weekend in the city etc - don't.

Pollyana Aug 18th 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12319502)
I think there used to be a poster in Hobart called IanandHelena (?). Not sure if they are receiving emails from BE but you could try looking for their profile and maybe sending an email if the option is there.

Alternately, Polly loves Tas and has been there loads of times.

:thumbup:
Brisbane to Hobart,you lucky gits. If I could get a job I'd move tomorrow.

Not sure if IanandHelena still pop in, but I think they were happy there. I had a partner there for a few years, spent lot of time dwn there and loved it.

There is plenty to do if you like boats, wildlife, mountains, lakes, hiking - general wild outdoor pursuits. Also plenty of historical places to visit, they really treasure their heritage. Food and wine/beer/cider are excellent and there are festivals all over the state to celebrate the fact. Lots of pubs - some of them are pretty like British ones too, and there's a general laidback air to the place.

It can be expensive because most things have to come from the mainland, but as internet shopping draws this is far less of an issue than it used to be.

Carcajou mentioned flights - you can get really cheap ones and they are increasing them from next year as the airport has had a large makeover. It also hopes to restart international flights next year, with the return of Customs and Immigration agents.

Weather? You get the lot. Snow - even down to sea level in Hobart at times, a fair number of wet days but not excessive, and a lot are just early or late showers. Equally lots of sunshine and warm days. I've been there inn a rare 38 degrees (yuck) but the tops are usually 27-29ish and its a much drier heat than Brisbane so far more pleasant to get out and about even on the odd hot day.
I've been visiting for nearly 20 years and there are still bits I haven't seen.

The main issue is work. If you have that sorted, go for it!

Pollyana Aug 18th 2017 3:32 pm

Have a browse through http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm that'll give you a fair idea of how beautiful and interesting the island is.

spouse of scouse Aug 19th 2017 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12319683)
:thumbup:
Brisbane to Hobart,you lucky gits. If I could get a job I'd move tomorrow.

Not sure if IanandHelena still pop in, but I think they were happy there. I had a partner there for a few years, spent lot of time dwn there and loved it.

There is plenty to do if you like boats, wildlife, mountains, lakes, hiking - general wild outdoor pursuits. Also plenty of historical places to visit, they really treasure their heritage. Food and wine/beer/cider are excellent and there are festivals all over the state to celebrate the fact. Lots of pubs - some of them are pretty like British ones too, and there's a general laidback air to the place.

It can be expensive because most things have to come from the mainland, but as internet shopping draws this is far less of an issue than it used to be.

Carcajou mentioned flights - you can get really cheap ones and they are increasing them from next year as the airport has had a large makeover. It also hopes to restart international flights next year, with the return of Customs and Immigration agents.

Weather? You get the lot. Snow - even down to sea level in Hobart at times, a fair number of wet days but not excessive, and a lot are just early or late showers. Equally lots of sunshine and warm days. I've been there inn a rare 38 degrees (yuck) but the tops are usually 27-29ish and its a much drier heat than Brisbane so far more pleasant to get out and about even on the odd hot day.
I've been visiting for nearly 20 years and there are still bits I haven't seen.

The main issue is work. If you have that sorted, go for it!

I read this with interest Polly as it might be a place scouse and I end up. Tassie is the only Oz state we haven't been to but we really like what we've heard about it. Thanks for adding to the store of knowledge!

spuddyo Aug 20th 2017 9:30 pm

I would move to Hobart in a flash, my missus calls it 'the Whitby of Australia'. The town hall there even looks like its from Yorkshire. Great bars, pubs and restaurants, lots of places to visit, on the whole friendly people. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Tassy though, having spent time working in Launceston and Burnie and visiting a lot of the smaller towns like Strahan and Queenstown - nice to visit but wouldn't suit our lifestyle to live there.

spouse of scouse Aug 20th 2017 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12320978)
I would move to Hobart in a flash, my missus calls it 'the Whitby of Australia'. The town hall there even looks like its from Yorkshire. Great bars, pubs and restaurants, lots of places to visit, on the whole friendly people. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Tassy though, having spent time working in Launceston and Burnie and visiting a lot of the smaller towns like Strahan and Queenstown - nice to visit but wouldn't suit our lifestyle to live there.

Have you been to Devonport Spuddy, and if so what do you think about it as a place to live? I like that you can get the boat to Melbourne from there but that's about all I know :lol:

Beoz Aug 21st 2017 12:09 am

Originally Posted by sormesher (Post 12319359)

I would, if there was an economy beyond tourism and 99.87% of jobs were for the government.

If you have found some work, grab it with both hands and never let it go. Hobart is a great spot.

Pollyana Aug 21st 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12320999)
Have you been to Devonport Spuddy, and if so what do you think about it as a place to live? I like that you can get the boat to Melbourne from there but that's about all I know :lol:

Never struck me as a particularly inspiring place but I haven't spent more than a couple of days there. Some lovely small towns along that northwest coast though, not too far from Devonport - places like Penguin and Wynyard, then Stanley and Smithton furtehr out.

spouse of scouse Aug 21st 2017 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12321192)
Never struck me as a particularly inspiring place but I haven't spent more than a couple of days there. Some lovely small towns along that northwest coast though, not too far from Devonport - places like Penguin and Wynyard, then Stanley and Smithton furtehr out.

Thanks Polly, will check them out. Looking for a place where we won't have to travel for basic facilities (shops, medical - and pub, of course!) Sea or river view as well, so I don't want much :lol:

Looking at a few places around the country, no idea yet where we'll end up :unsure:

Pollyana Aug 21st 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12321196)
Thanks Polly, will check them out. Looking for a place where we won't have to travel for basic facilities (shops, medical - and pub, of course!) Sea or river view as well, so I don't want much :lol:

Looking at a few places around the country, no idea yet where we'll end up :unsure:

Can vouch for pubs in both Wynyard and Stanley :lol:

From memory Wynyard had a fair few shops, also a small airportbeach, some stunning cliff/beach walks nearby, pubs etc. Didn't need anything medical but its a fair sized place so must be reasonable. Its also closer to Burnie/Devonport - Stanley is a fair bit further on along the coast. I think Penguin is slightly smaller.
Burnie has good facilities, and is a larger town.

spouse of scouse Aug 21st 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12321299)
Can vouch for pubs in both Wynyard and Stanley :lol:

From memory Wynyard had a fair few shops, also a small airportbeach, some stunning cliff/beach walks nearby, pubs etc. Didn't need anything medical but its a fair sized place so must be reasonable. Its also closer to Burnie/Devonport - Stanley is a fair bit further on along the coast. I think Penguin is slightly smaller.
Burnie has good facilities, and is a larger town.

Cheers Poll, appreciate the pointers. Good to have recommendations for the pubs too :lol: