Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got Excema?

Anyone got Excema?

Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone got Excema?

Originally Posted by caleb2003
My baby boy of 6 months has quite severe Excema and we need to know if moving to the sunny climate will make the condition worse or better.

Now supposedly the Sun helps as does salt water but heat and humidity certainly dont seem to and weather fluctuations make it worse too.

Does anyone know of any stats or more helpfully any real life experiences as we were looking to go to somewhere like Brisbane but if the weather dont agree then that out the window.

Thanks
One of my clients had it I remember them being Brit and saying they had issues for the first few weeks, but then it became much better.

I know everyone I spoke to has skin issues when they first got here....me myself I got spots on my neck when I never get spots....it was odd.....but my skin has never been better over the past couple.

I know asthmatics have issues, but it appeared it flared up in the first few weeks but became more settled and better.

Although thats only one person as we got into the conversation as I mentioned these weird lumpy non spots...more like hard little lumps on my neck.......someone staying with me had dermatitis (excuse spelling if thats wrong) and she had lumps on her face...same hard lumps for a few weeks, which have now gone.

I think you need to not panick over the first month and see what happens after then....I guess it also depends where you are going.

The point here, is there are in a lot of places a great wind or breeze with the heat, so its not hte same as the UK and doesnt feel as clammy
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

My baby boy of 6 months has quite severe Excema and we need to know if moving to the sunny climate will make the condition worse or better.

Now supposedly the Sun helps as does salt water but heat and humidity certainly dont seem to and weather fluctuations make it worse too.

Does anyone know of any stats or more helpfully any real life experiences as we were looking to go to somewhere like Brisbane but if the weather dont agree then that out the window.

Thanks
My hubby suffers with Eczema, while we were on holiday in Brisbane it cleared up after a few days. Once we got back to UK it came back within a week.
Sam x.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:04 pm
"More wine please...."

Ozz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to allOzz&Tilly is a name known to all

Hi,
My son who is 7 suffers with excema and I absolutely swear by EMU OIL which you can purchase very easily over here. His patches clear up within 3 days after an angry breakout.
I promise you, you will not be disappointed .
Come on over, lifes too short !!
Tilly
x
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

I wonder if the people who clear up when they are on holiday are doing so cos of the Vitamin D or just because they're not stressed because they on holiday
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozz&Tilly
Hi,
My son who is 7 suffers with excema and I absolutely swear by EMU OIL which you can purchase very easily over here. His patches clear up within 3 days after an angry breakout.
I promise you, you will not be disappointed .
Come on over, lifes too short !!
Tilly
x

MY son (age 9) reacts to whether change, gets it mainly on his hands and feet (hands are worse), we went to Brisbane at the beginning of February, snowing in England, sunny in Oz. He flared up really bad the first few days, cried himself to sleep, I thought oh my god what have we done bringing him here, by the end of the week he was almost cleared up and was even playing in the sea on the Gold Coast, this was the first time he had ever been in the sea, because it had always been to painful.

We believe/hope its going to clear it up when we hopefully move there, it's one of our biggest incentives to moving.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the people who clear up when they are on holiday are doing so cos of the Vitamin D or just because they're not stressed because they on holiday

I think a lot of it depends on what is causing it.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think a lot of it depends on what is causing it.
My Mum had hideous exczma and it was cleared up instantly when sam our doggie died.........not totally but it was manically irritated by sam.......so often it is allergies that cause it.

I know since I have been here one thing just with you mentioning that that I didnt notice.....I used to always have runny eyes in the UK....people used to come up and ask me if I was okay as I would always have runny eyes....that doesnt happen here.

So it could be something other than heat causing the problem....my mum now has perfect skin but still gets little break outs....but not the full on ones she had with sam in the house
\
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda34
I think you need to not panick over the first month and see what happens after then....I guess it also depends where you are going.
Depends on a lot of things as there are so many triggers.

I'm still trying to kid myself I'm in the first month and its just a verrrry long month
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I'm still trying to kid myself I'm in the first month and its just a verrrry long month
Oh bless.........I get cranky when I get a zit....when did we start getting zits when were werent teens again? Or bites....I eat far too much choc and get loads of mozzie bits due to having sweet blood apparently.

I guess until you find it....a bit like what makes people put on weight....I have the storing the weight thing and its not carbs, its not fat, its just something......but boy trying to find that one thing that does it.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think you are allergic to Queensland?
Old Oct 12th 2006, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

We actually managed to get an allergy test done on my boy even though they normally won't do it until 2 years of age and they found him very allergic to eggs and wheat and some acidic fruits, we asked about our dogs but the doctor said that she hardly ever had cases where dog Dander was a major irritant.

thats another decision we have to make .. what to do with the dogs, the taking dogs to oz thread is very interesting"!!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:21 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

We actually managed to get an allergy test done on my boy even though they normally won't do it until 2 years of age and they found him very allergic to eggs and wheat and some acidic fruits, we asked about our dogs but the doctor said that she hardly ever had cases where dog Dander was a major irritant.

thats another decision we have to make .. what to do with the dogs, the taking dogs to oz thread is very interesting"!!
Caleb,

We had the same problems with our daughter, who is now 4. We find that the eczema goes away in summer, but rears it's head as soon as the shite weather kicks in.

Now, what cured the vast majority of our daughter's eczema was a radical change of diet. We weaned her at 16 weeks, which was ok at the time (it was 6 MONTHS with our son 18 months later) and her system apparantly didn't cope with some of the things we gave her.

Short story/long: We visited a herbalist who advised us that creams and such like help the eczema, not the inherent problem. She advised us to give her plenty of oily fish, tahini, cut out broccoli (well, lot's of it any way) and no cows milk/cheese. And we used to massage any outbreaks in sesame oil, and pour good amounts of sesame oil into her pulped foods. We did this and switched to goats milk formula, and within four days her face, which she routinely rubbed to blood, was smooth as the proverbial it should've been. Ditto her legs.

Think very carefully about what you give a very young baby and how it affects it's system.

Our experience of the dreaded E anyway, and by avoiding the mistakes we apparantly made with our daughter, our son hasn't had a hint of it.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Do you think you are allergic to Queensland?
Not as daft as it sounds! It doesn't help - as in previous posts on this thread, the extremes of humidity or of dryness can cause agony.Stress is a major trigger, I now know that. i have always been allergic to dust, but because of the dry air here and the open windows - any bedding or clothes left exposed to the air for a couple of weeks (not shut in a cupboard) causes intense itching when i wear them or use them.
I've tried the diet options, its not that.

Interestingly enough someone on the thread has said maybe it improcves when in Aus on holiday, becuase it IS a holiday. Mine used to improve when here on hols....now it improves when in the UK on hols!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not as daft as it sounds! It doesn't help - as in previous posts on this thread, the extremes of humidity or of dryness can cause agony.Stress is a major trigger, I now know that. i have always been allergic to dust, but because of the dry air here and the open windows - any bedding or clothes left exposed to the air for a couple of weeks (not shut in a cupboard) causes intense itching when i wear them or use them.
I've tried the diet options, its not that.

Interestingly enough someone on the thread has said maybe it improcves when in Aus on holiday, becuase it IS a holiday. Mine used to improve when here on hols....now it improves when in the UK on hols!

Definately sounds stress related then doesn't it. I'm thinking that my son's is that too, as it has seemed to have improved quite a lot here. In the UK he was being bullied at school (well more after school when the teachers weren't there ) but here he has met some really great kids from all over the world who have made him feel like one of them.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I have found that the hemp body cream from the body shop is the only thing that soothes my skin when it flares up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.