Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:52 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

I got one thing!!!

Was just there during the HUGE rain storm over the last few days and man are the potholes big! And a few of the roads flood.

But aside from the terrible weather is seems really nice
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Yes we have had just a little shower or two since friday! The long term average for May is 67.6mm over say 8 days. We had 237mm in 3 days. Not actually normal folks. And the potholes were so bad they had to close off part of one of the main roads to repair in the pouring rain. My son works as a news cameraman for the local tv crew and he had to film all the flooding we had. We really were badly in need of some rain. I had hoped for a couple of inches. This has been silly. I dont even own a rain coat and have spent the last three days rescuing horses! Its okay though, the suns coming out on Thursday apparently!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey the floods sound scary! Hope the sun comes out for you soon in HB.
Beancounter thanks for the advice on crash repair shops in HB for my hubbie. We will be contacting the ones you mentioned and any others we can find a bit nearer the time.
I would make you a lovely clerk! I'm good at bean counting! Shame I'm not coming to HB for 6 months. X
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Hi

My name is Nigel and I am a painter/decorator and also a wall and floor tiler
I am moving to hervey bay once we have sold our house, I was wondering what it would be like for me getting a job in either of these professions, with25 years experience. Would I be able to get a job in H/B or do you think I would have to work further a field.

Mr Isle
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Hello Mr isle,

Good luck with the sale of your home. With regard to working in Hervey Bay as a painter/ tiler, have you made enquiries about getting a licence here to do so. All trades people need to be licenced by the Qld Building Services Authority before they can carry out any work. Their web site has a whole heap of info regarding that.

As to the current work situation, building at the moment has slowed a little due to the current interest rate situation. But because of the continual growth of our fair city, i believe it will come back again. When you get closer to getting over here, let me know and i will give you some names of larger building companies that might be able to help you. do you work on residential homes or commercial or both?

Cheers.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Hello Mr isle,

Good luck with the sale of your home. With regard to working in Hervey Bay as a painter/ tiler, have you made enquiries about getting a licence here to do so. All trades people need to be licenced by the Qld Building Services Authority before they can carry out any work. Their web site has a whole heap of info regarding that.

As to the current work situation, building at the moment has slowed a little due to the current interest rate situation. But because of the continual growth of our fair city, i believe it will come back again. When you get closer to getting over here, let me know and i will give you some names of larger building companies that might be able to help you. do you work on residential homes or commercial or both?

Cheers.
Morning missdaisymay
thank you for your reply, I am self employed and 98% of my work is in residential homes. I know that I have to have a licence and believe it takes 6 to 12 months that would be to work for myself I would like to work for somebody untill I have learnt the different types of paint and terms used.
Due you know if there is much call for paperhanging as it seems to becoming back here.
If house building is slowing down does that mean house prices are dropping to.
Thanks inadvance
Mr isle
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Its definitely turning towards a buyers market, but prices arent falling too far. Land has become the killer as the values have skyrocketed over the past 5 years.

Wall paper is not on the way back as far as I'm aware (and dont mean to offend but very grateful, still getting over the palm leaf wall paper mum loved in the late 70's ). We rarely even do strongly coloured or textured feature walls now. most people are tending to use heavier neutral shades and make up features in kitchen cabinet work or furnishings. Theres a magazine thats popular here called Queensland Homes. It has a website that you could have a look at. Our painter uses anything from Taubmans, Wattyl or British Paints. Any other tradies looking at working here should also look at the Qld master builders websites or HIA websites.

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys, just read on line that a company called Watpac have been awarded the contract for the $800m marina expansion. Apparently it will create 600 jobs directly and another 400 jobs indirectly. There will be 250 more berths for mooring plus a new tourist terminal and cafes, restaurants etc..
How do you guys living in Hervey Bay view the marina expansion? It sounds like a good thing in terms of jobs and bringing people to the Bay, however I am also aware loads more people flocking into HB can have negative effects too.
Was just interested to see how the marina expansion is being viewed from a locals point of view. X
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:23 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi guys, just read on line that a company called Watpac have been awarded the contract for the $800m marina expansion. Apparently it will create 600 jobs directly and another 400 jobs indirectly. There will be 250 more berths for mooring plus a new tourist terminal and cafes, restaurants etc..
How do you guys living in Hervey Bay view the marina expansion? It sounds like a good thing in terms of jobs and bringing people to the Bay, however I am also aware loads more people flocking into HB can have negative effects too.
Was just interested to see how the marina expansion is being viewed from a locals point of view. X
I've not seen the plans so I'm not sure how us tinnie owners will be affected. I use the marina for launching my boat on a regular basis, at present there are insufficient parking spaces for car/ute & trailer combinations at peak times. Often trailers have to be parked along the surrounding roads causing traffic congestion. If the new development created more spaces it would be a bonus, if however, existing parking was lost to development it would have a detrimental effect.
I'll go & google to see what's in the pipeline
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:31 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
I've not seen the plans so I'm not sure how us tinnie owners will be affected. I use the marina for launching my boat on a regular basis, at present there are insufficient parking spaces for car/ute & trailer combinations at peak times. Often trailers have to be parked along the surrounding roads causing traffic congestion. If the new development created more spaces it would be a bonus, if however, existing parking was lost to development it would have a detrimental effect.
I'll go & google to see what's in the pipeline
Please can you pass the link on if you find anything would be interested to see any plans.

Thanks - Gillian
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:53 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Please can you pass the link on if you find anything would be interested to see any plans.

Thanks - Gillian
Well, I sat having a coffee today, glancing through the Gympie Times/Wide Bay Rural [free paper] & lo & behold there's a nice artists impression & a reasonable plan included in this weeks edition.
Good news for us boaties is that there are to be at least 50% more trailer parking spaces available No online article available.
Brief synopsis:
235 more marina berths
200 dry storage spaces
50% more trailer parks
6 boat ramps
Old Jun 7th 2008, 3:57 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
Well, I sat having a coffee today, glancing through the Gympie Times/Wide Bay Rural [free paper] & lo & behold there's a nice artists impression & a reasonable plan included in this weeks edition.
Good news for us boaties is that there are to be at least 50% more trailer parking spaces available No online article available.
Brief synopsis:
235 more marina berths
200 dry storage spaces
50% more trailer parks
6 boat ramps

Thanks for this Cresta. We are interested as we will be buying a small boat which will need a mooring within the next 12 months.

Is there any indication as to how long it will take to complete and when that is projected to be. I say projected because projects like this are always delayed.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Tom & Angela is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, have not been on here much lately. Have been busy sorting my life out since arriving in Australia last October. Was browsing the site and saw the thread. I settled in Hervey Bay just before last Xmas and I love the place. After retiring from the public sector in the UK, moved over here and got bored and have retrained in Real Estate. If anybody has any questions about the Bay please feel free to pm. I will try to help to the best of my ability.

Regards Tom.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

I think its great that the marina is expanding, but I bet the marina fees will increase. At the moment we pay $4300 a year for our boat. Having said that its still shed loads less than the UK

Angela
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

There is an article in the Courier Mail about ther marina expansion. I'm sorry, I haven't a clue how to post a link to it - but if you go to www.couriermail.com.au and search the business section, there is in article in there dated May 22nd entitled "Watpac, Seymour Groupv$800m joint venture."
The article says the work is due to start next year...

Other than that article, if you go to Australian google (google.com.au) and search "hervey bay marina expansion" a couple of other articles come up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.