Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:23 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

ray2gill - are you thinking of settling in Hervey Bay later in the year?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:34 am
ClairePagani

Pagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nicePagani-Rennox is just really nice

Can anyone tell me if the beaches in Hervey Bay are supervised with lifeguards
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
One could take offense you know
One should be used to it
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Thanks for all your honest opinions guys. Seems like you think there are more downsides than positives. Can anyone recommend a nice family coastal area nearer Brisbane and with similar houseprices to Hervey Bay. We are looking for a quiet lifestyle where the kids can be free and we can relax, be near the water and live affordably. Currently live in Glasgow and live a typical lifestyle of the "rat-race". P.S. can anyone fill me in on what a "bogan" is.
Cheers
I don't know what a Bogan is but a nice area near to Brisbane is redcliffe. it isn't a huge place but nice beaches and very family orientated with Scarborough close by which is also very pretty...that is just North of brisbane..just South nice areas are redlands bay, clifton and Wellington point area.
We really liked the Redcliffe area and the beach there is lovely..lots of families picknicking and out on bike rides, a very long esplanade. The job offers weren't right for us so we are going to cairns!! Have a look on internet, plenty of info on those areas...Scarborough has a lovely seafood restaurant by the marina and some lovely walks, you can see over to the glass mountains..really nice. Everywhere we went people were really freindly too. it has a small shopping area but Brisbane isn't far away. there is a place just before redcliffe too but can't remember name of it.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Wow, thanks very much 'Ray2Gill' for your very encouraging post. The way you describe Hervey Bay is exactly how I have been reading it to be and was quite surprised and disheartened by the previous posts. We currently live a very busy life in a large city and are looking for a complete life change. Hervey Bay seems to fit the bill with all it's facilities/ rapid rate of development/ low house prices but at the same time still have a coastal lifestyle. I know there is an established elderly community there, but there is also there are four primary schools and 2 high schools so there must be enough families with children to fill the places. As far as I can see there is a college and University also. So it can't be completely a retirement community. We are not looking for a glitzy glam area with lots of nightlife - done all that when I was younger. Just want to be able to finish the day saying "wow just had an amazing day in an amazing place" after being fishing/down at the beach/cycling/ whale watching/ sea kayaking/ scuba diving and above all spending real quality time with the kids. I know that Hervey Bay has loads of restaurants, bars etc so that suits me. Anyway hubbie is going to Hervey Bay next month to check it all out. So again Ray2Gill, cheers for your info, I now feel positive again as was starting to feel a bit dispondant after some of the comments of the previous posts.
Forgot to add that hervey bay is very quiet but house prices are still pretty cheap!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:05 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

ray2gill - are you thinking of settling in Hervey Bay later in the year?
Yes, We bought 1/2 acre last year and the builder is due to start on the house next week.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm moving to Hervey Bay with my husband in November this year.
Despite a lot of negative comments about Hervey Bay I am actually encouraged by the amount of people that are talking about it and how many threads there are on Hervey Bay here on BE. It can't be that bad if so many expats seem to be moving there!
Like someone famous once said, its better to be talked about than not to be talked about at all. Or something like that!
I'm sure there are "bogans" and "hoons" in Hervey Bay but I bet there are more normal people!
Calling all expats living in Hervey Bay, how often do you meet/come across a "bogan" in every day life?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:34 pm
ClairePagani

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Yes, We bought 1/2 acre last year and the builder is due to start on the house next week.
Can I ask - did you need permission from the government (FIRB) before buying the land. We are going on a 457 visa and believe there are some restrictions about buying property.

You must be very excited about building your own home
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:37 pm
ClairePagani

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm moving to Hervey Bay with my husband in November this year.
Despite a lot of negative comments about Hervey Bay I am actually encouraged by the amount of people that are talking about it and how many threads there are on Hervey Bay here on BE. It can't be that bad if so many expats seem to be moving there!
Like someone famous once said, its better to be talked about than not to be talked about at all. Or something like that!
I'm sure there are "bogans" and "hoons" in Hervey Bay but I bet there are more normal people!
Calling all expats living in Hervey Bay, how often do you meet/come across a "bogan" in every day life?
Mrs Kiwi - not only are we thinking of moving there, I know of another UK family seriously considering it if they can get work there too, because of all the great aspects of Hervey Bay. I agree, it can't be that bad.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:41 pm
ClairePagani

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Forgot to add that hervey bay is very quiet but house prices are still pretty cheap!
Do you know if Hervey Bay houseprices are lower than those in the Redlands etc area.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Mrs Kiwi - not only are we thinking of moving there, I know of another UK family seriously considering it if they can get work there too, because of all the great aspects of Hervey Bay. I agree, it can't be that bad.
Us to, we want to go as well, we visited in feb last year and fell in love with hb, we are awaiting our case officer but as soon as visa arrives we are going.
travelled from Byron Bay to Airlee Beach and this was the only town that looked good enough to move to.
Cookster lives in hb check out her treads for more info.
isle
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:53 pm
ClairePagani

Originally Posted by isle
Us to, we want to go as well, we visited in feb last year and fell in love with hb, we are awaiting our case officer but as soon as visa arrives we are going.
travelled from Byron Bay to Airlee Beach and this was the only town that looked good enough to move to.
Cookster lives in hb check out her treads for more info.
isle
Just waiting to see if I receive any job offers there or Maryborough. Will live in Hervey Bay and travel to work to Maryborough if neccessary. Would prefer to live in HB as I like the idea of cycling along the esplanade with the kids in the morning to school and work. Was told by Queensland Health that after accepting a job offer, we could be there as quickly as 12 weeks. That is a bit too soon for us, as need to sell the house and dispose of a lifetime of our possessions....not looking forward to that bit.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 3 months now and have young kids 3,5,7yrs. Love it.

I'm no shopper but there's all the basics and Big W has just opened here. Maryborough is 30 mins drive away for a change of shops. I guess if you are a shopper you'd want to head to Brisbane to get your fix.

Beaches are shallow - goes out for miles at low tide, well seems like it, no surf and kids can play safely as it takes quite some time to get out of their depth. Not seen any lifeguards. Lovely warm sea too.

I think theres even more than 4 primary schools, and a few private scools too that seem pretty popular.

Yes theres's old folk here but it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it'd be. And yees there are bogans - new word on me too!- but being fair there are 'odd' folk everywhere including cities and subburbs.

It is a little 'countryfied' here in terms of attitudes but again less multiculturalism is a bonus for some and not that bad for anyone who finds it other wise.

In short if you like the outdoors beaches, walks fishing camping etc and have young kids then great. If you want theatre, opera, live big sports, fancy dining etc have older kids then maybe other areas should be considered.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more

Safin
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Pagini-Rennox, to answer your question houses in HB are cheaper than the Redlands area, I know this because the Redlands area (Wellington Point and Cleveland) were two areas I was interested in before I did my reccie in September. When I got to Oz in Sept I liked Cleveland a lot but the average house price was roughly 400K/450K and we would be facing a commute in to Brisbane to get higher wages to pay the higher mortgage!
In HB, the wages won't be as high but neither will the mortgage as you can get a decent 3 bed house for 350K, sometimes a lot lower.
So its swings and roundabouts.
Cleveland was nice and on the water but didn't have any beaches or (it seemed to me) the life style that goes with being near the beach.
You should look on realestate.com.au and put in Cleveland and other Redlands towns and look at the prices, then put in Hervey Bay and look at the prices.
Also, read my reccie report by searching for it under "My Reccie of Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Hervey Bay" (sorry don't know how to do a link - I'm a real technophobe!) as I feel you seem to be drawn towards the same areas as we were.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Meant to add a question to Safin or any other Hervey Bay dweller if I may - are there any good and bad areas of Hervey Bay? As in, areas that are a bit run down, or particular areas where the "hoons" and "bogans" hang out at night?

Also, by pure coincidence someone started an "Anyone in Maryborough" thread yesterday and that has had a few replies of so it looks like there are even more of us moving to the area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.