Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:03 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by kiwinow
So erm has anyone seen this croc they reckon has been hanging around the bay? Yikes. I thought HB was great because the jellies don't come that far south. huh:
Weren't jellies the reason that the filming of Fools Gold on Fraser Island was cancelled!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Well I dunno. We were told that HB doesn't have stingers in the sea in summer. Fraser Island is quite a way out, so if they hang about there I can handle that, as long as they don't come in to the beaches.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Scared! The only crocs I've ever seen are the trendy shoes that everyone is wearing here! As for the bird called the Ibis that I saw plenty of in HB when I visited last year, man, their beaks worry me. Hervey Bay is a dangerous place!!!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

LOl. Mrs Kiwi. The Ibis may snatch the food out of your hand if you're at a cafe but I've never heard of anyone being speared by its beak. They look exotic but act like common seagulls.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:59 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

LOl. Mrs Kiwi. The Ibis may snatch the food out of your hand if you're at a cafe but I've never heard of anyone being speared by its beak. They look exotic but act like common seagulls.
Filthy flying scavengers! They hang around the landfills like winged rats ugh, I wouldn't call them exotic in any way shape or form.

Re the croc thats supposed to be in the bay. The Hidaway hotel in Tiaro has some pics on the wall of a 4m croc that was shot in the Mary River at Tiaro in the 60's. A few of the old timers used to spend their summer holidays shooting them so they were about at one stage.
We do get bluebottles in the bay though only if theres a prolonged Easterly blowing. I went out on a charter a couple of weeks ago & the bay was full of them just a couple of K's out.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

I'm no wimp (honest!) but think I will observe all the local crocs, sharks, Ibis's, redbacks etc... from behind the safety of my wine glass in Hoolihans when I get there!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
I'm no wimp (honest!) but think I will observe all the local crocs, sharks, Ibis's, redbacks etc... from behind the safety of my wine glass in Hoolihans when I get there!
Save me a seat

Mrs Isle
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Save me one too!!

Tracy
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Me too.

Those bluebottles aren't potentially fatal like the box jellyfish are they? So um to those living there already do you feel reasonably safe in the water, or don't you get out of your boat?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:42 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too.

Those bluebottles aren't potentially fatal like the box jellyfish are they? So um to those living there already do you feel reasonably safe in the water, or don't you get out of your boat?
We dive up in the bay quite often, seen a few sharks though nothing really big & scary. The water is so clear vis is usually around the 15-20 m mark. I'm more worried swimming in shallow water than diving in 20m
Bluebottle wise I've had the misfortune to get one wrapped around my wrist while fishing, it clung to my line all the way to my reel then wrapped itself neatly around the reel & my hand. Had it been daylight I'd have seen it. The pain is like a bad nettle rash, not fatal, I always keep a bottle of white vinegar in the boat now.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I feel so much better now.

I've heard that vinegar neutralises lots of stings so a spray bottle is a good idea to cart around.

As for the shark, even a small shark is scary if its in the water with you. My son is very excited that they offer marine studies at high school in HB, part of which is to be trained in snorkelling with a field trip to Lady Elliot Island (I think). Is there anywhere else closer by that offers good snorkelling in waters that aren't shark and croc infested?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cresta57
We dive up in the bay quite often, seen a few sharks though nothing really big & scary. The water is so clear vis is usually around the 15-20 m mark. I'm more worried swimming in shallow water than diving in 20m
Bluebottle wise I've had the misfortune to get one wrapped around my wrist while fishing, it clung to my line all the way to my reel then wrapped itself neatly around the reel & my hand. Had it been daylight I'd have seen it. The pain is like a bad nettle rash, not fatal, I always keep a bottle of white vinegar in the boat now.
Strangely enough, I always keep a bottle of gin, tonic and a lemon in ours!!!

Angela
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cresta57
Hi

Is the diving good up in the bay? I've tried a search for dive clubs around Hervey Bay but have come up with nothing so far.

Tracy
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

The Boat Club in urangan have a dive section - looks active from the poster but haven't got round to joining so can't say for sure
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Cookster
Strangely enough, I always keep a bottle of gin, tonic and a lemon in ours!!!

Angela
Nothing strange about that, it's perfectly normal
Originally Posted by tasmas
Hi

Is the diving good up in the bay? I've tried a search for dive clubs around Hervey Bay but have come up with nothing so far.

Tracy
Have a look at these guys they dive every couple of weeks. The club is affiliated to the boat club & boat club members supply the boats for diving for a small fee.
Take a look at Syd's Site for a taste of what's on offer around the bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.