Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by isle
Now why did I not think of those, do you think I could get a pair in NEXT.

Mandy
Sorry Mandy ,we dont do Next out in Oz The closest we have is

Taaarjais ! Well actually its called Target
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Wellythongs...... what next!!!
I guess you will have to look smart when you get your job so yes I guess boots/shoes.
Angela
Old Sep 24th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookster
Hi,

ref rent rebate, everyone I have spoken to gets it so I suppose it must be everyone. When I applied for it I dont remember them asking what visa we were on.
We don't on temp visa! It's income assessed they told me

Ps burnt myself to a cinder today having lunch with Safin!!!
Angela

Warned you!!!!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hey Safin, it's my brother that works for Harcourts and mayhave valued your rental property. Not sure if it was him or not, he was an estate agent for years in the UK before coming to Oz, so didn't train in Oz.

Talking of rentals, Lil Lis what sort of property can you get for $250 a week rent these days? My brother was renting a lovely 3 bed house in Urangan for $250 a week about 18 months ago but now when I look on real estate websites it seems the going rate for a decent, modernised 3 bed house has gone up.

$250 was kind of the weekly rental budget we had in mind, especially as we won't have jobs when we arrive. Am I being unrealistic expecting a 3 bedroom place for that?
Hi Guys, We have a few properties for around $230 - $250 that are 3 bedroom nothing flash most would be timber boards not brick, but we have properties coming up all the time. For a decent modern home you would be looking at say around $280 to $300 most of those would have an air conditioner.
Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I've seen a couple of 3 & 4brm places that look good online anyway for around $270 - $300pw, but I haven't seen much for less.

I didn't know about this rent rebate. You've made my day, as we won't be on any sort of visa and likely won't be high earners for the first few months. So does this mean that if you earn under a certain amount (anyone know how much?) you get something off your rent. How does this work? Does the govt pay your landlord or you? Do you pay the rent and get it paid back later when you claim or what?

Also, how difficult is it to find a job? We contacted the Hervey Bay son of the guy who bought our canoe here in NZ, and he said there is high unemployment but if you put yourself out there you will probably find something. Incidentally, he also said he now has the best job in the world working on Fraser Island as a ranger/tour guide. It's a bit of a worry though. There's not much advertised online or in the papers that we looked at. I'm having nightmares about selling our house only to find we can't get jobs and have to move somewhere else.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I've seen a couple of 3 & 4brm places that look good online anyway for around $270 - $300pw, but I haven't seen much for less.

I didn't know about this rent rebate. You've made my day, as we won't be on any sort of visa and likely won't be high earners for the first few months. So does this mean that if you earn under a certain amount (anyone know how much?) you get something off your rent. How does this work? Does the govt pay your landlord or you? Do you pay the rent and get it paid back later when you claim or what?

Also, how difficult is it to find a job? We contacted the Hervey Bay son of the guy who bought our canoe here in NZ, and he said there is high unemployment but if you put yourself out there you will probably find something. Incidentally, he also said he now has the best job in the world working on Fraser Island as a ranger/tour guide. It's a bit of a worry though. There's not much advertised online or in the papers that we looked at. I'm having nightmares about selling our house only to find we can't get jobs and have to move somewhere else.
Hi Guys,
I have just put an irish family into a property here in the Bay & they have only been in australia 2 weeks (still waiting for their container of furniture to arrive) & he has just landed a job with a welding company here this week!! Woohoo. Good Luck with you all looking for work, I actually didnt find my job in the papers I went around handing out resumes that can work too some times.
Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that encouragement Lil Lis. We had good and bad reactions when we arranged interviews from NZ. One guy was all enthusiastic online and D phoned him. He said to defo drop in when we were in HB, and then when we called he didn't even remember the conversation. Another guy was so impressed he was thinking of restructuring his company to accomodate Dave. So I guess it's partly luck and persistence and yeah, we've got the picture that you have to go door knocking.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

BOOTS!!!! of course you can wear boots in qld. we have the occassional nights that get down to 3 and 4 degrees celcius and i like my toesies all cosey. AND they are sooo pretty, i have brown boots and black boots and flat boots and we call wellies gumboots. I have spotty ones and ones with strawberries on. and lets get realistic ladies, if they look pretty you have to have them regardless of comfort. Thats what fashion's all about

And so pleased to hear thongs being referred to as such and not flip flops. Or the other thing they're called are chinese safety shoes . My son was wearing his when horsey stood on his toe. Lucky we were on sand at the time and his toenail is intact. i couldnt stop laughing. he did not think i was a nice mummy!

OOH AND PLEASE ALL JOIN ME IN WISHING LIL LISA A HAPPY ....ST BIRTHDAY TODAY (she's my baby sister by the way and she's gorgeous !) LOOKING forward to double bubbles tonight at peppers
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
BOOTS!!!! of course you can wear boots in qld. we have the occassional nights that get down to 3 and 4 degrees celcius and i like my toesies all cosey. AND they are sooo pretty, i have brown boots and black boots and flat boots and we call wellies gumboots. I have spotty ones and ones with strawberries on. and lets get realistic ladies, if they look pretty you have to have them regardless of comfort. Thats what fashion's all about

And so pleased to hear thongs being referred to as such and not flip flops. Or the other thing they're called are chinese safety shoes . My son was wearing his when horsey stood on his toe. Lucky we were on sand at the time and his toenail is intact. i couldnt stop laughing. he did not think i was a nice mummy!

OOH AND PLEASE ALL JOIN ME IN WISHING LIL LISA A HAPPY ....ST BIRTHDAY TODAY (she's my baby sister by the way and she's gorgeous !) LOOKING forward to double bubbles tonight at peppers

Have a few for me!! Happy birthday Lisa!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by missdaisymay

Look out shops here I come. Dam only 40kg each.

Our boxes was collected yesterday and so my house is lovely and empty now. Now we just need to survive a few more days before we leave with what little is left.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!

Well got to go and make the house sparkle for the new tenants (great way to spend your birthday).

Looking forward to seeing you all soon

Mandy
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Happy Birthday Lisa!
Still confused about the rent rebate and about Centrelink. What is Centrelink? I thought it was sort of like a government office that handed out benefits etc.. so I didn't think too much about it.
But if they hand out rent rebates then fab! I'm on a temp visa but my hubbie is a Kiwi so we're hoping to be eligible.
I have the same question someone asked earlier, do Centrelink give the rent rebate to you or direct to the landlord?
X
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

The rent rebate goes directly to the landlord. You just fill our a form at Centrelink.
Angela
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by isle
Look out shops here I come. Dam only 40kg each.

Our boxes was collected yesterday and so my house is lovely and empty now. Now we just need to survive a few more days before we leave with what little is left.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!

Well got to go and make the house sparkle for the new tenants (great way to spend your birthday).

Looking forward to seeing you all soon

Mandy
Hey Mandy.. good luck with the big move & Happy Birthday to you hopefully we can catch up for a drink when u get here I should be over my cold & cough by then.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Angela.
Mandy, was it your birthday too? Hope you had a good one. X
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Hi All

Yes I reached the grand old age of 43, but still feel 21.
Left our house and so we are homeless now. Staying with family in Birmingham untill the 8th living out of suitcases is so fun, (not)

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.