Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Sorry, i should learn to use spell check. I meant Maryborough is copping a bit of a problem at the moment with night time violence. I think from what i've read in the paper, it's like the situation is in the bay. Just a small few who make it tough for the rest.

In the bay, we have a beautiful long bike/walk path on the esplanade. It runs nearly the length of hervey bay. This path is on the beach side of the foreshore, so it has lots of trees beside it, etc, goes through parks and so forth. This is fantastic during the day, and when you drive along the nard (short for esplanade, got to use the words the local kids use ) there are literally thousands of mums with prams, folks walking the dogs, people on bikes, every health nut under the sun are using this path. It's fantastic. And i'll give council it's due, it has got street lighting for the night. But i would never use the path at night, only during the day. Like anything, you dont put yourself in situations where you might be at risk.

I know what you mean about people knowing people. It's that 7 degrees of seperation thing. My mum in laws mum went on a holiday to england years ago, and was sitting on a train chatting to a lady she realised was another aussie. When she asked where she was from, they discovered that they were both born in the same street in Maryborough in the same year. Yet they had travelled across the world before they met up!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Sorry, i should learn to use spell check. I meant Maryborough is copping a bit of a problem at the moment with night time violence. I think from what i've read in the paper, it's like the situation is in the bay. Just a small few who make it tough for the rest.

In the bay, we have a beautiful long bike/walk path on the esplanade. It runs nearly the length of hervey bay. This path is on the beach side of the foreshore, so it has lots of trees beside it, etc, goes through parks and so forth. This is fantastic during the day, and when you drive along the nard (short for esplanade, got to use the words the local kids use ) there are literally thousands of mums with prams, folks walking the dogs, people on bikes, every health nut under the sun are using this path. It's fantastic. And i'll give council it's due, it has got street lighting for the night. But i would never use the path at night, only during the day. Like anything, you dont put yourself in situations where you might be at risk.

I know what you mean about people knowing people. It's that 7 degrees of seperation thing. My mum in laws mum went on a holiday to england years ago, and was sitting on a train chatting to a lady she realised was another aussie. When she asked where she was from, they discovered that they were both born in the same street in Maryborough in the same year. Yet they had travelled across the world before they met up!
Yep got to agree with what you say, bare in mind that there is also a well lit pavement the other side of the esplanade to walk on too.
Ive never felt threatened here at all. We even slept on Scarness beach recently in our swags. Complete with our radio and bottle of wine. A couple of backpackers came over for a beer and we had a good chat about their travels.
Also I was born and brought up in Middlesbrough...... say no more to those that know the area!!!!

Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cookster
Oh very nice. Its on the esplanade about a 20 mins walk away from Hoolihans. Nice walk though.
Angela
My worse half has just corrected me on this time scale. He said it is more like a 30 min walk.................................

Yer alright.

Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Yep got to agree with what you say, bare in mind that there is also a well lit pavement the other side of the esplanade to walk on too.
Ive never felt threatened here at all. We even slept on Scarness beach recently in our swags. Complete with our radio and bottle of wine. A couple of backpackers came over for a beer and we had a good chat about their travels.
Also I was born and brought up in Middlesbrough...... say no more to those that know the area!!!!

Angela
You're from the Boro Angela? I'm originally from Billingham. Moved to Durham about 4 years ago.
So is Hervey Bay a bit different then. I quite like the wander around Grangetown, with a quick trip to Redcar for a lemontop.

Tracy
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Angela
oh no !!!

And just by coincidence SAFC v mfc is on foxtel live saturday night 9:45pm
No fisticuffs mind
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
oh no !!!

No fisticuffs mind
Hey Bobby, Middlesboro or Murton - tough choice there!!!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hey Bobby, Middlesboro or Murton - tough choice there!!!
MURTON !! I think you've got your place names mixed up Tracy
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

oh no !!!

No fisticuffs mind
Oh nightmare. that means it will be on at Hoolihans alongside the live band!!!!!!

Tracy,,,,,,, if I miss anything at all its lemon tops!!!!!!

Oh and as if its not bad enough me being from Middlesbrough,,,,, other half is too!!!!!!!

Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

oh no !!!

No fisticuffs mind
Fisticuffs!!!!
My fisticuffs are only for holding me pint glass up!!
Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fisticuffs!!!!
My fisticuffs are only for holding me pint glass up!!
Angela
Phew!! long over the hill myself Would you prefer to meet fri,sat or both Angela ? Looks like Sat could be a sport and music night what with footy, Broncos game prior too that and a live band into the bargainNot seen one in yonks ! Looking forward to it Coincidentally is that Peppers resort we are staying at the same one that does the double bubbles night malarky by any chance (just looking to save a few bob on er indoors so i can drink more)
Ps many other boozers in the bay to visit?
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Phew!! long over the hill myself Would you prefer to meet fri,sat or both Angela ? Looks like Sat could be a sport and music night what with footy, Broncos game prior too that and a live band into the bargainNot seen one in yonks ! Looking forward to it Coincidentally is that Peppers resort we are staying at the same one that does the double bubbles night malarky by any chance (just looking to save a few bob on er indoors so i can drink more)
Ps many other boozers in the bay to visit?
yep thats the one... nice place.
Have sent you a PM.
Anyone else fancy ale on Saturday?
Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

yep thats the one... nice place.
Have sent you a PM.
Anyone else fancy ale on Saturday?
Angela
Me, but i'll make do with the Pemberton Arms, if I dare!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

OK Bob well it seems like you, mrs Bob, me and mr Cook for sundowners on Saturday night.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
See you then.................
Angela
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK Bob well it seems like you, mrs Bob, me and mr Cook for sundowners on Saturday night.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Angela
+ friends Owen & Carol
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point

Angela
What a shame, I cant make it saturday nite, i am doing dinner with the work crew perhaps another time.
Lil Lis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.