Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

It's heartbreaking to see that there are so many people in the same position as us......I hope it all works out for everyone.
We are not arranging a buy to let mortgage as we are already out of the country and have no one in the UK that can sort it out for us, so we have prospective tennants and will hopefully remarket the house next spring when "everything crossed" things have settled down in the UK and the housing market is more stable.
Pam x
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

hi everyone

Housing market is very poor at the moment. I'm in the same situation as most but unfortunately for me i've got a business to sell (post office) and although a very good business, the market is slow. There is no way i'll have the option of leaving without selling, the residents would be up in arms if i didn't open my doors in time. So if anyone knows someone wanting to buy a thriving business in the welsh valleys, do forward them to myselves. In the meantime i'll carry on and wait for the visa and hope the bloody thing dosen't expire before I sell up . Good luck everyone
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by collybabe24
I agree totally, we just dont know what to do, the company said they will apply to another lender and that could take upto 2 weeks but what happens if that fails again we will be back to square one and helpless in oz, for us to transfer our mortgage to a buy to let is costing £4000 and they want it up front which we dont have, then you have got the problem of finding tenents and what can we do if something goes wrong when we are miles away, not sure whether to re mortgage for £15000 so at least we have some funds to get us by its a nightmare and time is ticking by and only 1 week left, i could really kick myself i should never have booked flights without completing, i was just desperate to get out there as hubby starts his new job the end of the month but thats crap wages only $42000 so we really cant afford to keep 2 houses going. Good luck to everyone else in the same position xx

Keep it together, dont panic. we are in same position, create a calculator in Excel with all incomes and outgoings, find ways of servicing your outgoings and ensuring you can have cash flow.
Im looking at renting as an experience , never done it before, know people with several houses, that they never speakl off, as once the momentum kicks in, goes to the back of your mind.

Also, detach yourself from the home, if you are renting so you have no emotional ties, this will make it more difficult, when the tennant causes wear and tear, it will happen for sure. But then take it from the deposit, for unreasonable wear.

Things will work out, also get a tax expert to help you , with any shortall, as thats classed as negative gearing, and Aus does recognise this somewhat.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I have resigned myself that there is a good chance of this happening to me now too. (unless my buyer(?) turns up tomorrow morning!
I fly on 26th with my 2 kids. have booked holiday accomodation for 2 weeks but no job to go to. Thankfully i am in catering and I am hoping to pick up some seasonal work to keep us going until the house sells - trying hard not to think about it too much
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

We've booked flights and house sale is supposed to go through roughly at the same time but if it falls through I am probably going to look at renting it out and wait until the market settles
Old Nov 6th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we too decided not to wait and have booked the flights and a holiday rental for 4 weeks - we leave on 20th jan

But - now our buyers have had an offer on their house and want to exchange before xmas - so looks like we might be homeless for a month before we go . I'm not complaining and we dont want to lose the sale by putting them off till after xmas but now i'm panicking about where we're gonna spend it

Also after reading lots of stories of house sales not going through its hard to get excited until everything is sorted and the money is in the bank! Fingers crossed it'll all work out in the end

Anyone got a short term rental in the north west
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Location: Cardiff normally but just moved into rented in Penarth
Mike Sharon is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my goodness, I feel for you all waiting to sell your homes.

We put our home up for sale Nov 06 and the sale finally went through about 4 weeks ago (after lost buyers, chains collapsing etc etc). We had booked our flights well before we sold the house as we knew I needed to start my Uni degree on Jan 14th. We seriously discused what we were gonna do if it hadn't sold by now and knowing that we needed the money from the sale (No savings ). We came to the conclusion that if it was a case of taking a painful cut on the house and selling to 1 of these buying agents (apparently the offer between 10 - 20% less than market value) or not going at all - we would take the cut.

Thankfully we managed to sell before it came to that but it is always a consideration if your desperate.....although very financially painful!!!!

P.S. 51 days to go!!!

Keep my fingers crossed for sales for you guys
Love
Sharon
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:16 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Well, we too decided not to wait and have booked the flights and a holiday rental for 4 weeks - we leave on 20th jan

But - now our buyers have had an offer on their house and want to exchange before xmas - so looks like we might be homeless for a month before we go . I'm not complaining and we dont want to lose the sale by putting them off till after xmas but now i'm panicking about where we're gonna spend it

Also after reading lots of stories of house sales not going through its hard to get excited until everything is sorted and the money is in the bank! Fingers crossed it'll all work out in the end

Brilliant news about the flights. We leave 4 days after you Where have you got your rental ?

You could always stay in a hotal for 4 weeks....way that up to renting somewhere for a month......at least you wont have any cleaning to do
Old Nov 6th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Im in the North West and whilst I hope not to be in the position the reality is that i leave on 26th NOvember and my house may or may not have gone through. If it hasnt renting it out could be an option
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, just got visa in sept - so eager to go, just the house sale holding us back really
well done! wish you all the best going. We sold our house last two times going to brisbane, but this time we have just had estate agent in to put the house up for rental when we go, (just in case) that is if everything falls into place. We are now thinking, as things are cropping up to stand in the way for us, (e,g older son changing his mind) to just get up and go now. We miss brisbane very much, and hopefully if we can get to third time lucky we can stay for good.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

we sold our house twice last mar 07 then jul 07.both times falling thru to time wasters up the chain.on the second time we said sod it we're going.we had already sold cars etc as fell it thru on day of exchange.
we landed in perth 12th oct 07.with no jobs etc, we had enough money to pay mortgage for a few months.within a week we had a cash buyer come in. he dropped us by 10k but we were past caring by this time.so we were very lucky in a strange twisted sort of way.
the uk needs to sort its self out in regard to buying and selling property. i emailed my local mp twice about it. no reply.
i would not advise anyone to leave it to sell as its very stressful, with everything else going on too.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

richandcarol is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Oz as permanent residents New Years Eve 07. We hadn't sold the house by August when we originally hoped to fly out so waited till christmas time to sort it. Fortunately we got an offer in August (a previous bidder increased his offer) that we accepted - a cash buyer - it was 12 grand less than asking price but we had waited since March to sell... The sale went though 1 week before we were due to fly out, we had booked flights etc... the buyer did try a last minute attempt to knock us down the day before contract exchange but i was that annoyed... what with the shippers having been in to take everything away i refused to budge, called his bluff and siad we'd rent it. He signed the contract that day and money in bank 5 days later. We're so glad he signed as property market seems to be worse since then. Don't let buyers know you are desperate or off to Oz as people will try to knock you down as much as you can, even on the day of exchange when you'll be most vunerable.
We love our new life here although the exchange rate, interest rates, and rising property boom is all against us at the moment...
never mind.... at least we've finally made it....
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

we decided to kick our tenants out in 2 weeks and have now had a change of mind, we are now going to rent out the house in the uk again for another 12 months as we have no mortgage and that will more then cover our rent here, so now we only have to work to live which is great and sit back and see what happens with both sets of housing markets.
i can now work without a care in the world and not pay banks excesive interest etc.

everyone is different but my thoughts are i would not buy here at the moment and thats what alot of locals are saying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as far as tax etc on the income what they dont know won`t hurt them
as long as you dont tell them !!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom
We moved out to Cairns back in 2004 without selling the house, eight months later we were back in the UK and in tears, two years on we decide to go back to Aus but sell the house first.

Its been on the market now since April and had one offer last month, they pulled out a week after and its gone silent again.

I so much want to be in Aus now and time is passing by so fast, its been the worse part of my life this last 5 years from applying to now and I have to be careful not to drag close ones down into my moods.

But I am not going until the house is sold, no way not ever.
If you don't mind me asking, Please could you tell me what its like to live in Cairns, as have had a job offer for Cairns or Perth.
Have been told that Cairns is too humid and tropical storms all the time is that right?

And also if anyone could give me a short insight into what Perth is like, as have read that Perth is a bit isolated away from the other cities and not too lively.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

posh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the roughposh10 is a jewel in the rough

well hi everyone.

what a dilemma it is, we are so unsure what to do. first we were going to sell the house, then we decided to rent, now my oh wants to sell but what do we do. we don't want to wait forever. as we were going to rent it i packed in my job and finish next thurs !!!!!! we dont know whether to sell it and pay for it with savings over 12onths and hope it sells or to rent it and top ut the payments each month for 12 months, what do u think, our other option was to sell house to a property for cash company. house valued at 235 we were offered 195k which is a loss but at least it is sold and we get some of our money we put into it. its worrying of wht the market will be like in 12 months time and house prices drop more.

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.