Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Originally Posted by Bilby
Is there anyone out there who has or is about to embark on emigrating to Oz and haven't sold their house? Would be interested to know if they still went - or decided to stay until the house sold.
Us
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tillysmum
just through Mossley
we are going to pine rivers just north of Brisbane have got job there, all feels very strange

Will be nobody left in Tameside soon!
Is that a bad thing???
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ausi dream
I take it going by the date at bottom you have just got your visa or was that last year.
Yeah, just got visa in sept - so eager to go, just the house sale holding us back really
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Bilby is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midwife2be
Hi lindzi and everyone else in this situation!!

we've had our house on market since june and had a few viewings, reduced it twice and now accepted an offer but they havent sold theirs . Apparently they're very keen to get ours and going to reduce theirs this week (both up with same ea!)

We are looking at booking flights and temp accomodation to go on 20/1/08, in the middle of releasing equity on house to get us there and pay mortgage whilst in oz for a few months, we'll have about £15k to take and see us over the first few months, I have a job so will have one wage of approx $42k until OH finds work - big question is AM I MAD OR WHAT

OH thinks we'll be fine but I'm the more sensible one and am s"*t scared!!! On the other hand, havent found midwifery work in uk - currently on checkout at sainsburys and the longer i am out of pracitce the scarier it gets too
We will be shipping out without having sold the house and won't have a lot of money - but OH has a job when he lands. I too am XXXX scared. I will need to find a job when we land.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

renting my house , the market is fked in the UK, and the RE agents know but wont say anything.

Wait for the drop in the NY.

Rent your properties, repo's going up by 50% there will always be a need for a landlord.....
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Our house sale fell through 3 times before we left for Aus in August, the last time 2 days before we flew! Had left the property empty and reduced the price but nothing....the housing market has bottomed out!! Now we are in the process of renting the house out for 6 months and will have to see what the new year brings. We came to Aus with the proceeds of a small amount of savings, selling furniture, cars etc, etc. OH found work within about 2 weeks and I am now starting to work.....It's been tough but if you can do it without the money from the house then go.....no point being stuck in the UK paying the mortgage on a house that isn't selling with no jobs etc if you've handed in your notice (as we had).
good luck to everyone with however you decide to proceed.
Pam x x
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

thanks lindsi, Pam (and other posters!!)- for your posts

I'd originally avoided reading this thread thinking it would be telling me to stay in the uk but its nice to know that others have gone without selling and it's confirmed to me that we are doing the right thing.

Things are gonna be tight moneywise but i could do with losing a bit of weight anyway
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by midwife2be
thanks lindsi, Pam (and other posters!!)- for your posts

I'd originally avoided reading this thread thinking it would be telling me to stay in the uk but its nice to know that others have gone without selling and it's confirmed to me that we are doing the right thing.

Things are gonna be tight moneywise but i could do with losing a bit of weight anyway
we all struggle aslong as its a hurdle you know you can get over... like everything else you accomodate etc.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:34 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

Originally Posted by Bilby
Is there anyone out there who has or is about to embark on emigrating to Oz and haven't sold their house? Would be interested to know if they still went - or decided to stay until the house sold.
Hi Bilby,

We did it back in 2005 when we first came out here. And how scary was that ! We didn't intend to do it that way at first, but a sale fell through, and we just wanted to get out of the country.

In hindsight we were lucky, the second offer was put in on our flat, and we booked the flights. We arrived here end of April, and the flat sold at the start of June. May was a nail biting month, the new life out here kinda glazed it over in my mind. But reality kept dawning on me. The Halifax put us on a loan repayment holiday for 6 months. I was aware that we were still accruing interest though. But hey I think we were lucky.

The 6th June when our solicitor tolds us it had gone through was a cork popping day, I'll tell ya!!

Good luck whatever ya choose to do.

Cheers
Gajj
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

to all selling,

just had a review with my RE.

and Indeed the market has stalled, and isnt moving at all.....

No imminent crash but a price correction of around 10% at least more in some areas, all an accumulation of what has happened in the past few years.......

even with the correction there isnt many buyers out there.

good luck...
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:06 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

I am absolutely gutted, we found a cash buyer in august to buy our house twice now the lenders have pulled out, i rang them today as it should of been completed friday and guess what the lenders have pulled out, all contracts have been signed with my solicitor and we fly to oz next saturday to start our new life and all of our money is tied up in the house, if anyone has any suggestions what we can do please help:curse:
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

JUSTPAULA is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Anyone gone to Oz not having sold the house?

yip us 2 ....

my 1st job offer was 3rd sept, then 18th oct, but have had to let it go as we need the sale of house to fund out there , which isnt helping our visa, as we on 457 .. going from bad to worse .... just instructed a new agent to take over sale of property from tomorow and who no's fingers crossed ...

good luck with u is a very stressing time xx
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

where there is a will there is a way, look for a job with reloaction assistance...

its a nightmare, i have a guy interested, evertytime we agree a price, he moves it,

like a game... absolutely weird, like I said, renting it out, the money i will reduce, i will just put to the rent, till a buyer comes along.

end of the day, i can always lend against it, and hand the keys back in...with loads of debt and then declare myself bankcrupt.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Bilby is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by collybabe24
I am absolutely gutted, we found a cash buyer in august to buy our house twice now the lenders have pulled out, i rang them today as it should of been completed friday and guess what the lenders have pulled out, all contracts have been signed with my solicitor and we fly to oz next saturday to start our new life and all of our money is tied up in the house, if anyone has any suggestions what we can do please help:curse:
Its about time the UK Government did something about the sale of houses. In Australia when you agree a price you are committed. Why can't we have this over here. It would stop a lot of heartache and you would only get serious viewers who had the money to buy - no time wasters. We are leaving our house unsold and it is a worry. The only consolation is that my OH has a good job to go to. Its time this government woke up to the housing laws.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 10:25 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree totally, we just dont know what to do, the company said they will apply to another lender and that could take upto 2 weeks but what happens if that fails again we will be back to square one and helpless in oz, for us to transfer our mortgage to a buy to let is costing £4000 and they want it up front which we dont have, then you have got the problem of finding tenents and what can we do if something goes wrong when we are miles away, not sure whether to re mortgage for £15000 so at least we have some funds to get us by its a nightmare and time is ticking by and only 1 week left, i could really kick myself i should never have booked flights without completing, i was just desperate to get out there as hubby starts his new job the end of the month but thats crap wages only $42000 so we really cant afford to keep 2 houses going. Good luck to everyone else in the same position xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.