Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like this?

Anyone else feel like this?

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else feel like this?

Originally Posted by podgypossum
No one is shooting anyone G... where do you get that notion from? because we are trying to get ot the bottom of the problem and it doenst agree with your viewpoint?..no one is being rude or aggresive are they?..geeez!!
Someone comes on and says they find Australia boring. What response do they get?
A chorus of replies implying that the problem is within themselves. A personal failing.

Nothing changes.

If someone posts a bilious rant about how awful the UK is or a Eulogy about how wonderful Australia is they get a round of applause.
Anyone posts about things being bad in Australia they get called a 'troll' or it is suggested that they have a problem.

I found much of Australia boring. I do not consider myself boring. Other people do not seem to find me boring.
I am entitled to an opinion. So are jad and Rich.

People do not post on here that those wanting to leave the UK have a problem but it amounts to the same thing.

G
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, bit more debate. For those who know Maslow and his hierarchy of needs, Jadandrich have got their basics covered (security, safety, food, big house and European appliances) and are looking for more, a bit of self-actualisation. None of this is likely to be supplied by suburban BBQs, nor necessarily by seeing more of the country, doing sports or digging up roots.

The ability to do a wider range of different things is more readily available in Europe, there's simply more choice and more things nearby. That's not to say similar can't be achieved in Oz but it may require a different route.

How about radical career change, write a book, learn French, go and do a course, learn something new instead of seeing something new. Many after all come to Oz because of their boredom and requirement for 'newness'. In jadandrich's case, they've seen it all before and nedd other means, which may not require leaving Oz, but might.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So what are statements like this all about then ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is what you make wherever you live....

...bored people are usually BORING...in my experience anyway! "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Its got nothing to do with the country.... its to do with the person, only yourself makes your life boring"

Both taken from this thread.

G
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Now you are being ridiculous.

I have never slated anyone for wanting to go back to UK, nor have i suggested that Jad or YOU are boring. The point was, that THEY are bored because all the things that are on offer in Australia do not match with their idea of fun. All i was doing was questioning whether the same boredom would apply in UK as many of the same things would apply there.

I think if you are totally honest G, you never really wanted to come here to live in the first place but felt pressured to it because of family etc. That is, i feel, part of the reason for your negativity. Its perfectly ok to feel that way, and if its not for you thats fine. Only you can decide if you are prepared to go for it for whatever reason, but not everyone is in the same situation you are, or indeed, have the same hobbies, lifestyle needs or ideaologies on the pefect lifestyle.
My main pooints in this debate were, that Australia DOES have a lot of things to do, and a lot to offer those who WANT what is here.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:17 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Someone comes on and says they find Australia boring. What response do they get?
A chorus of replies implying that the problem is within themselves. A personal failing.

Nothing changes.

If someone posts a bilious rant about how awful the UK is or a Eulogy about how wonderful Australia is they get a round of applause.
Anyone posts about things being bad in Australia they get called a 'troll' or it is suggested that they have a problem.

I found much of Australia boring. I do not consider myself boring. Other people do not seem to find me boring.
I am entitled to an opinion. So are jad and Rich.

People do not post on here that those wanting to leave the UK have a problem but it amounts to the same thing.

G
Well said.It is a roasting for anyone who dares knock the dream.However a line has to be drawn between someone who has a problem with Australia or aspects of it and those who just post everything negative that they can find for the sake of it.

On the other hand some posts ,and they are rose tinted, are absolutely ridiculous i.e someone posts a picture of a nice sunset/open unspoiled beach(which is good) and it gets replies like ohhhhhh I cant wait to get there etc.As if it is going to be like that all the time or that everyone lives by the sea.Thats cringe making and gives credence to the dreamer tag.
At the end of the day its just another place .And reality is you still have to work ,struggle and all that jazz.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:18 am
scoobydoo

I seem to remember that Maslow said something like not all humans get to the self-actualisation part in his hierachy of needs.

It comes down to the individuality thing...many find contentment in Australia and many do not.

Bored people are not boring...they just need something more to stimulate themselves.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Ok everyone seems to want to shoot the messenger.

No more room for debate is there?

G
You said "everyone" wants to shoot the messenger.

I don't think that's the case.

Its got nothing to do with the country.... its to do with the person
I think it is to do with how "that individual reacts" to the country they are in. If it was the country itself then everyone would feel the same ? So it must be down to the individual.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:21 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I seem to remember that Maslow said something like not all humans get to the self-actualisation part in his hierachy of needs.

It comes down to the individuality thing...many find contentment in Australia and many do not.

Bored people are not boring...they just need something more to stimulate themselves.

I couldn't remember all the other steps, though I think self-realisation come up there somehwere, probably close to where jadandrich is now, and absolutely agree that bored and boring are completely different things.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:25 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by jayr
I couldn't remember all the other steps, though I think self-realisation come up there somehwere, probably close to where jadandrich is now, and absolutely agree that bored and boring are completely different things.

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/maslow.html

There it is.....self-actualisation...right at the top!!

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:27 am
Bitter and twisted

[QUOTE=podgypossum]Now you are being ridiculous.

I have never slated anyone for wanting to go back to UK, nor have i suggested that Jad or YOU are boring. The point was, that THEY are bored because all the things that are on offer in Australia do not match with their idea of fun. All i was doing was questioning whether the same boredom would apply in UK as many of the same things would apply there.

QUOTE]

PP
Are you suggesting that people who want to go back to the Uk are never slated?
It happens all the time. At one point the 'returning to the UK' section of the forum was full of posts ridiculing those who wanted to return and calling them failures.
Reality is that outside of the bigger towns Australia is boring in many respects especially if you come from a more stimulating environment.

Beaches and BBQs will only go so far. It would be a very shallow life if that was all there was to look forward to.

Oh I forgot the RSL clubs

G
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by seang
someone posts a picture of a nice sunset/open unspoiled beach(which is good) and it gets replies like ohhhhhh I cant wait to get there etc......
.....And reality is you still have to work ,struggle and all that jazz
The main reason that you get these comments is that a lot of people on this site are coming to Australia, and it is "their" dream to get here.
The majority of those that have this "dream" are aware that they still have to work etc.

Why would it be "absolutely ridiculous" to like the sound of something that you have been dreaming of, for whatever period of time you have been planning your move ?

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

If you are feeling so bored - why don't you take at least a month off and go to the UK to see whether it's likely that you would fit right back in?
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:33 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/maslow.html

There it is.....self-actualisation...right at the top!!

It looks to me that jadnandrich needs his metaneeds satisfied...
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Grayling]
Now you are being ridiculous.

QUOTE]

PP
Are you suggesting that people who want to go back to the Uk are never slated?
It happens all the time. At one point the 'returning to the UK' section of the forum was full of posts ridiculing those who wanted to return and calling them failures.
Reality is that outside of the bigger towns Australia is boring in many respects especially if you come from a more stimulating environment.

Beaches and BBQs will only go so far. It would be a very shallow life if that was all there was to look forward to.

Oh I forgot the RSL clubs

G

No that is certainly not what i was saying..i said that "I" have never done it and you said "everyone" was shooting the messenger.

As to the point about returners being slated, yes its true, but by the same token the dream knockers and happy in Aus group also get more than their fair share of slating and ridicule.... and G.....i have a very good memory...you werent shy in ridiculing me quite along while back for my genuine and happy experiences in Aus. Was that ok because i was on the other side of the fence to you? If you are going to slate and berate, i'd suggest you do it to the guilty and not blanket all being the same.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:39 am
Bitter and twisted

No that is certainly not what i was saying..i said that "I" have never done it and you said "everyone" was shooting the messenger.

As to the point about returners being slated, yes its true, but by the same token the dream knockers and happy in Aus group also get more than their fair share of slating and ridicule.... and G.....i have a very good memory...you werent shy in ridiculing me quite along while back for my genuine and happy experiences in Aus. Was that ok because i was on the other side of the fence to you? If you are going to slate and berate, i'd suggest you do it to the guilty and not blanket all being the same.
Yes I apologise
I did say 'everyone' and that was wrong.
I meant a fair few.
I also have a good memory and remember many of the discussions on subjects like this.
That is why I get p*ssed off with some of the sweeping statements made on both sides of the fence.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.