Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like this?

Anyone else feel like this?

Old Sep 7th 2004, 7:27 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone else feel like this?

[QUOTE=Grayling]
Originally Posted by

surely deciding which lane of the motorway to queue in, which studio flat to buy with your 200 GBP budget and what pub to pick up lung deseases from should keep you occupied and out of booredom ...[/QUOTE

Yes Sydney may be an answer.

G

LOL
Old Sep 7th 2004, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

My thoughts exactly!

We had 18 months on the Gold Coast and felt it very lacking. It was very hard to put our finger on the exact problem but not too far from your descriptions.

We moved to Sydney 1 month ago and absolutely love it. So much happening, so many different interesting people, lovely houses and gardens, even nice chill in the air at moment

Highly recommended!

Queenie

Originally Posted by Hels
Perhaps its not Australia that isnt for you, perhaps its just Brisbane? Have you tried living in other areas of Australia?
Old Sep 7th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

The very first post on this thread is quite revealing.

"We have a perfect life, large home, rental home, pool, delightful pool furniture, a european dishwasher big gas guzzling cars and so on "

All this is material stuff. Of course you will get bored with it very quickly. This is more about status than enjoying your life. Yes, its very nice ot have it, but if that is the main reasons why you came here, or a big part of what you hold dear in life, then you are bound to be disappointed after a very short while.

You say you are bored. So what is it that floats your boat? Do you really know what you are looking for?

I can only speak for my part of Australia, but i cannot think of anything in the UK that i cannot find here (apart from food stuff and a British pub) To be perfectly honest, i have found there MORE variety of things to do. Even the things that were on offer in London are far more "available" to me here. Heres a shortlist of some of them.... how can you be bored???!!!

museums
art galleries
food festivals
fine dining
rock concerts
night clubs
scuba diving
snorkelling
fishing
boating
gold fossicking
horse riding
drag car racing
cycling clubs
athletics
Every kind of sport activity you can imagine
A horticultural paradise (i love gardening)
Exotic wildlife which i never tire of because i like it!!

I could go on and on and on. Maybe if you are bored you need to assess what it is you are lacking. I doubt if you looked below the surface it could really be blamed on geography, but more about you and people you miss.

Also..as others have said.. maybe you are in the wrong part of Australia. Personally, i come from one of the largest cities in the world, yet i do not get bored here!!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:14 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Not enough dopamine hitting the ventral pallidum? Lysergic acid diethylamide. That'll spark yer up.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:40 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Perhaps you miss the variety : of things to do; weather (I'm really enjoying the fact it has started to turn cold here); of places to go; of outlook? After all, variety = mental stimulation.
I think mental stimulation is down to the individual - unless you are in the back of beyond, many places like Melbourne have things to do - all modern countries have areas for stimulation - they all have plays, they all sell books - the internet means you can be truly clued up on all sorts of things ...people all have stories to tell. I find that ordinary people have stories to tell that many people in the Uk don't eg of the outdoors. I never really noticed more variety in the UK - the place was too big to get anywhere and you ended up living a life in your area of say SW london - which is pretty big - I'd avoid central london like the plague and go twice a year. I find there is more to do in Melbourne that I like than SW London and there is less traffic and I get shopping, sports, city, hills, beaches and 'bush-living' within 1 hour.

Also having done a fair few things I find that just the memories stop you getting bored (!)

Jad'n'Rich you may also miss the novelty of being a 'stranger in a stranger land' - ie an Aussie in UK.
Hmm Mike has a point here. In some ways being a migrant always gives you a ''story'' and ensures that people will always take an interest in you..initially -until you become "Oh Badge is a Pom hes been here 30 years.." if nothing else gives you a novelty factor. I find that even after 2 years, ordinary things are interesting. When kids born in Australia go through the education system lesrning aussie things you can take an interest in what an aussie learns so even this is less boring in itself.

BM

Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:44 am
Badge

Originally Posted by podgypossum
The very first post on this thread is quite revealing.

"We have a perfect life, large home, rental home, pool, delightful pool furniture, a european dishwasher big gas guzzling cars and so on "

All this is material stuff. Of course you will get bored with it very quickly. This is more about status than enjoying your life. Yes, its very nice ot have it, but if that is the main reasons why you came here, or a big part of what you hold dear in life, then you are bound to be disappointed after a very short while.

You say you are bored. So what is it that floats your boat? Do you really know what you are looking for?

I can only speak for my part of Australia, but i cannot think of anything in the UK that i cannot find here (apart from food stuff and a British pub) To be perfectly honest, i have found there MORE variety of things to do. Even the things that were on offer in London are far more "available" to me here. Heres a shortlist of some of them.... how can you be bored???!!!

museums
art galleries
food festivals
fine dining
rock concerts
night clubs
scuba diving
snorkelling
fishing
boating
gold fossicking
horse riding
drag car racing
cycling clubs
athletics
Every kind of sport activity you can imagine
A horticultural paradise (i love gardening)
Exotic wildlife which i never tire of because i like it!!

I could go on and on and on. Maybe if you are bored you need to assess what it is you are lacking. I doubt if you looked below the surface it could really be blamed on geography, but more about you and people you miss.

Also..as others have said.. maybe you are in the wrong part of Australia. Personally, i come from one of the largest cities in the world, yet i do not get bored here!!
Agreed. I have what I had in London but less pace, less stress, and an actual home to 'live in', not a flat where you just 'stay'.

Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=podgypossum]The very first post on this thread is quite revealing.

All this is material stuff. Of course you will get bored with it very quickly. This is more about status than enjoying your life. Yes, its very nice ot have it, but if that is the main reasons why you came here etc etc

Podgey I wrote that tongue in cheek, thought the delightful pool furniture was a clue, and the fascination here with european cars/dishwashers/toilets was a laugh too, thats exactly the point I dont really care about those items and I certainly dont want to spend another weekend listening to people bragging how they just bought one at a BBQ. We do own that sort of crap but only becaue people will expect it when we sell the house.

We do have stuff like a museum here, but honestly it takes half an hour to see it, same with art exhibitions, food festivals all very small scale been scuba diving for years but thats a bit selfish to go out and leave the wife with a family of small kids while I trek off diving. I did find plenty to do first year, novelty value, holiday mode but not now, it has become very boring for all of us, and we have lived in several other parts of OZ too.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

OK... so how different is it in UK when you have visited a place several times? How different is it getting involved in a sport that the res tof the family cant be involved in the UK..that would be the same wherever you are. Even the family activities will be no different. You have plenty of kids theme parks up your way and yes, you probably bored with them, but you would be bored with the same equivalent in the UK too, after several visits.

Can you explain what it is you are missing is more my point? Most of the things you have in UK are available here but maybe in a different format. Once again, i suggest it is more the people you had in UK you are missing, and people to do all these things with.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
OK... so how different is it in UK when you have visited a place several times? How different is it getting involved in a sport that the res tof the family cant be involved in the UK..that would be the same wherever you are. Even the family activities will be no different. You have plenty of kids theme parks up your way and yes, you probably bored with them, but you would be bored with the same equivalent in the UK too, after several visits.

Can you explain what it is you are missing is more my point? Most of the things you have in UK are available here but maybe in a different format. Once again, i suggest it is more the people you had in UK you are missing, and people to do all these things with.

Page 2 I think, explained why we didnt get bored after 7 years there, post starts off with Hi Hevs or something similar. Cheers
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My wifes has one of those big families where someone was always getting married, giving birth, having a family party which involved 120+ drunks in some hall. .....
....... we might have been lucky we were seen as aussies and seemed to get invited to anything and everything because of that,........ i think being in the SE helped too and the fact the wife has lots of Pom friends she had kept in touch with, it just seemed our feet never hit the ground.
It sounds like you had loads, and loads, of friends in the UK ?

Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Well..after reading back, all i can say is that Australia just isnt for you, but its unfair to say theres nothing to do, as thats just not the case. What it does mean is what YOU want isnt here.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Its got nothing to do with the country.... its to do with the person, only yourself makes your life boring
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Its got nothing to do with the country.... its to do with the person, only yourself makes your life boring
Ok everyone seems to want to shoot the messenger.

No more room for debate is there?

G
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

No one is shooting anyone G... where do you get that notion from? because we are trying to get ot the bottom of the problem and it doenst agree with your viewpoint?..no one is being rude or aggresive are they?..geeez!!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Ok everyone seems to want to shoot the messenger.

No more room for debate is there?

G
I don't think the messenger is being shot.
Its been 8 pages of relatively sensible discussion. And the conclusion appears to be that he was happier in the UK. His family had a massive group of family members back in the UK, and he gives the impression that he would be happier back in the UK.

Many people find plenty to do in Australia, and the same with others in the UK. I think it is down to how each individual handles situations where they are, and he seems to not be happy with what he has here, but was happy with what he had there, and the conclusion seems pretty obvious, to me.

But then I am biased, because he would be doing exactly what I have done, except that we started in different countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.