Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel like this?

Anyone else feel like this?

Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else feel like this?

Rich, what do you think that you would be doing on a weekendly basis in the UK that you don't / can't do here??
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:18 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
BTW its great this thread has turned into a discussion and a few jokes rather than anyone doing their nut about what I said.
What jokes? OK, if axe wielding does not cut it for you and key swapping is a no go how about DICE tossing
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
What jokes? OK, if axe wielding does not cut it for you and key swapping is a no go how about DICE tossing
Yes i can see how 4 years of the barbie circuit could get to you in the end
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Rich, what do you think that you would be doing on a weekendly basis in the UK that you don't / can't do here??
Being aussie, a 3 hour drive was nothing to me, every weekend we would be up and off somewhere, there was so many places to hit within a 3 hour radius, I liked the driving there :scared: see I am mad wheres my dice, you actually drove fast getting anywhere outside of peak was fast and easy, more dice behaviour was I liked the weather!! no extremes I rarely found it uncomfortable, I loved the cozy winters walking collar up against the wind and lifting a pint in front of a log fire. We lived just on the outskirsts of London we'd get these family travelcards and find hundreds of things to do for free or cheap enough to afford on the wages which were brilliant. On the more exciting side we got a bit addicted to travel trips to the US and Europe cropped up 3/4 times a year, that sounds decadent but we could afford it. My wifes has one of those big families where someone was always getting married, giving birth, having a family party which involved 120+ drunks in some hall. I played soccer, my wife played shopping a lot, kids were not stuck in front of a playstation they too did cricket and soccer. Even having seasons broke the year up, things were always changing something to look forward to.

Over there we rarely repeated the same weekend twice in six months, we might have been lucky we were seen as aussies and seemed to get invited to anything and everything because of that, but we didnt go to the local kangaroo club and hunt aussies we got stuck in with the poms. i think being in the SE helped too and the fact the wife has lots of Pom friends she had kept in touch with, it just seemed our feet never hit the ground. Anyway we came back to get the big house, the aussie dream, you know we saved Pom pounds and could buy a big house so we are the first to admit we are to blame.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I'll get my arse kicked by the good guys for this one.

Been back for approx 4 years after approx 7 years in the UK. We have a perfect life, large home, rental home, pool, delightful pool furniture, a european dishwasher big gas guzzling cars and so on

We live minutes to the beach, shops, more parks than the dog can pee in, we bbq weekly and take up every opportunity to get cheap flights to other parts of OZ, but after 4 years the entire family are BORED out of our brains. Its all a bit bland and repetative, am I the only one on here who finds our australian lifestyle a bit dull?

Shoot me but someone had to say it.
As we found, the human spirit needs much more than a beach, big home, BBQs and sport. Perhaps we'll be seeing you over in the UK - or Europe - in the not so distant future....
Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:37 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
As we found, the human spirit needs much more than a beach, big home, BBQs and sport. Perhaps we'll be seeing you over in the UK - or Europe - in the not so distant future....

It is so individual though. I'd love to be satisfied with a beach, SMALL home, bbq's and sport....and many people are content enough "within" to enjoy that.

But being one of those who is constantly searching for that contentment and who has a very low boredom threshold.........

Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
It is so individual though. I'd love to be satisfied with a beach, SMALL home, bbq's and sport....and many people are content enough "within" to enjoy that.

But being one of those who is constantly searching for that contentment and who has a very low boredom threshold.........
Being bored in Australia is no different than being bored in the UK, Germany, Sweden etc.............

The surroundings are different that's all.

I was in the RAF for many years, moving around the UK and many places abroad. I got bored after a coulple of years in the same place, and I'll probably be the same if we ever get to Aus.

There are some people who live in the village I'm in now, who have lived here all their lives. Some have never even been to the nearest City

Some think it's the best place in the world

But who are we to say it isn't...... for them?

Feeling bored with a lifestyle comes from the repetitive nature of the lifestyle no matter how different it is from another

Best of luck to everyone ..... just keep happy even if you are bored
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stewie
Being bored in Australia is no different than being bored in the UK, Germany, Sweden etc.............

The surroundings are different that's all.

I was in the RAF for many years, moving around the UK and many places abroad. I got bored after a coulple of years in the same place, and I'll probably be the same if we ever get to Aus.

There are some people who live in the village I'm in now, who have lived here all their lives. Some have never even been to the nearest City

Some think it's the best place in the world

But who are we to say it isn't...... for them?

Feeling bored with a lifestyle comes from the repetitive nature of the lifestyle no matter how different it is from another

Best of luck to everyone ..... just keep happy even if you are bored

I totally agree with this!

The only way we avoid getting bored is to keep busy all of the time. If I stop and sit still for too long I will start to get bored too. That's why we always have a lot of projects on the go. No rest for the wicked.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:54 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tinaj
I totally agree with this!

The only way we avoid getting bored is to keep busy all of the time. If I stop and sit still for too long I will start to get bored too. That's why we always have a lot of projects on the go. No rest for the wicked.

I've only been here a month and we have visited most of the major places.
I asked some friends of friends to suggest places to visit and we have visited them already.
Guess its going to be a bit of an anticlimax after all the sole searching to venture out here in the first place. Bit like wanting kids!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:41 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dazzac
I've only been here a month and we have visited most of the major places.
I asked some friends of friends to suggest places to visit and we have visited them already.
Guess its going to be a bit of an anticlimax after all the sole searching to venture out here in the first place. Bit like wanting kids!!
Brisbane by the Dewey Decimal System?

Numbers Categories

000-099 General References or Works (encyclopedias, biographies, periodicals and journalism)

100-199 Philosophy, psychology and logic

200-299 Religion (men’s faith)

300-399 Social Sciences (how people live and work in society; law, government and institutions)

400-499 Language (English, grammar and dictionaries)

500-599 Natural Science (Mathematics, astronomy, physics, chemistry, geology, paleontology, biology, zoology, and botany)

600-699 Technology and Applied Science (medicine, engineering, agriculture, home economics, radio, TV, and aviation)

700-799 Fine Arts and Recreation (architecture, sculpture, painting, music, photography and recreation)

800-899 Literature (plays, poems, essays, literature in foreign languages)

900-999 History and Biography (history, biography, geography and other related disciplines)
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get your arse kicked by majority of people - we all have our own dreams and expectations and no one else can tell you that you are right or wrong.

You seem to have had a great life in the UK, what made you decide to go back to Aus? What made you leave Aus in the first place. - if all of you are not happy then think about going back. It's very difficult once all of you decide you're not happy because there is no one to pick the others up.

We are generally down at different times and the other one can put the ooomph back, but when we are both down, it's shit!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Brisbane by the Dewey Decimal System?
Love it! Takes me back to my days at college - a degree in Librarianship - the first year you learn to say SSSHHHHHHHHH, 2nd year you learn your alphabet to enable you to put books away, and the third year you revise!

Any other closet "bun-and-glasses" people out there?!!
Old Sep 6th 2004, 1:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Love it! Takes me back to my days at college - a degree in Librarianship - the first year you learn to say SSSHHHHHHHHH, 2nd year you learn your alphabet to enable you to put books away, and the third year you revise!

Any other closet "bun-and-glasses" people out there?!!
Uh, well...... At our year 7 graduation ceremony I got the "library award" : D Got the Secret Garden as a present.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You won't get your arse kicked by majority of people - we all have our own dreams and expectations and no one else can tell you that you are right or wrong.

You seem to have had a great life in the UK, what made you decide to go back to Aus? What made you leave Aus in the first place. - if all of you are not happy then think about going back. It's very difficult once all of you decide you're not happy because there is no one to pick the others up.

We are generally down at different times and the other one can put the ooomph back, but when we are both down, it's shit!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

We only went for a year but ended up staying 7, we rented for just over 10% of our monthly earnings so we were on a great wicket with the savings,after 7 years we had enough to buy a house back in OZ outright, (this was 4 years ago, OZ prices were less than half what they are now) so we decided to be sensible and go for the dream . We might have been just a tad brainwashed too, you know how the UK media presents OZ on telly like you would be a lunatic not to want to live there

I love the way people keep using the word ooomph, that sums it up for me, Oz lacks ooomph, you can only rehash the same entertainment so many times no matter how hard you try.

We have 6/9 months building work on the books, summers very hard going in construction as Cresta said it frys your brains If Latham does not push me first the brain frying just might. Now if only we could sell the house (contract no 4!! in place). Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 9:19 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

Life is what you make wherever you live....

...bored people are usually BORING...in my experience anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.